Transsexuality gene ID'd

• 1912 posts
    October 27, 2008 7:10 PM GMT
    Reuters
    Published: 12:32 am
    HONG KONG - Scientists in Australia said they have identified a gene which may explain why some people are transsexuals......................................................................for more of the story click the link.
    http://www.canada.com/edm[...]5f54895
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 181 posts
    November 3, 2008 2:31 PM GMT
    Watch out there Wendy, here in Virginia where the 700 club along with its sister organazation is headquartered, ya better remain silent! The Bible police be commin fer ya soon. Besides that Ive already been told by a trans group in North Carolina that I'm "A RIGHT WING RELIGIOUS PERSON cause I.m trying to clean up the girls here . It all started when I made derogatory comments from Dr Phill's show that aired a couple of days ago. I also said too many of the girls were doing drugs here and they climbed all ove rme over my opinions too. I Pmed a couple of folks and tried to say that not all clubs were endorsing bad behavior, just a couple . My comments were twisted all over three states by yesterday. Ellen S.
    • 404 posts
    November 11, 2008 8:49 PM GMT
    Do I want to know about this? Well.....yes,.........but then again..........no. What actually worries me,assuming this doesn't turn out to be the 'Theory of the month', is that some bright spark will come up with a simple test which every gyneacologist can use as part of the pre-natal check-ups/amniotic fluid examination etc. What may then happen is that a mother,on being informed that her unborn baby carries the 'TS gene defect', may well decide to ask for an abortion.........Some doctors can be very sympathetic to such wishes and some women/couples can be very persuasive..................... And,given the way health services and insurance schemes are increasingly becoming hostage to the accountants,it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone,somewhere,someday sets the cost of an abortion against the costs of SRS and lifelong HRT...................

Food for thought??

ciao,

Lynn H.
    • 404 posts
    November 23, 2008 7:57 PM GMT
    There is a further worrying aspect about this. Leaving aside for the moment the possibility of such gene defect being a justifiable reason for an abortion, I see the possibility of further complicating the divisions between 'primary' and 'secondary' TS'.In short, a class or caste system is possibly waiting in the wings. Instead of simply the primary-secondary argument there could now be the following:

Primary-Gold star TS: Has the gene defect,transitions young

Primary-Silver star TS: has the defect but for various reasons transitions later in life

Secondary-Gold star TS: is genetically 'normal' , transitions young

Secondary-Silver star TS: is genetically 'normal',transitions later in life.

Then again,imagine the following situation- you are refused HRT, SRS etc. because you don't have the defective gene....the Gender Clinic/Quack/Shrink tells you that you are genetically 'normal' ,that you should accept the fact,and face up to being a MAN/WOMAN (depending upon your direction of travel) and stop wasting other peoples valuable time................Anyone for electro-shock therapy?( remember that this was once prescribed as treatment for homosexuality.................)

What price an increased death rate through misuse of medicines due to self-medicating?

What price an increase in the suicide statistics for TS due to refusal of treatment because of genetic 'normality'?

Do we really want to go there?

ciao,

Lynn H.
    • 1912 posts
    November 23, 2008 8:22 PM GMT
    God forbid penicillin was ever allowed to be used, people might just live longer and over populate the world. Why is there always such doomsday talk? I think some people watch too much TV and look for self fullfilling prophecy. It is the same liberal people who push for the woman's right to have an abortion and more GLBT rights and now you are concerned that knowing an infant might be trans could be reason for an abortion. LOL, get real. Be careful, the boogie man is out to get you.
    Hugs,
    Marsha

• 404 posts
    November 26, 2008 2:32 PM GMT
    Marsha,
    I think you're getting your knickers ever so slightly in a twist here. I support a woman's right to abortion but,and it's a big BUT, I don't know that I have to support it on eugenic grounds. There are already any number of eugenic indications- Down Syndrom, for example- which can be used to justify an abortion so finding the 'tranny-gene' on the list one day wouldn't surprise me at all. I also happen to live in a country where ,a few years back, the then ruling party tried to breed 'racially pure beings', who had no qualms about selecting-out 'less-worthy life' and terminating it. And you should perhaps get this into your head-people like you and I would have been on those transports,on the ramps being 'selected' for a 'quick' or a slower death.There is,I would suggest,over here a greater awareness of the possibilities of misuse and abuse of medical discoveries and progress than on your side of t'pond.

All together now.........."Always look on the bright side of life..............." Isn't this the Lehmann/Bear-Stearns/Morgan-Stanley et al attitude?????

Have a nice day 'fore your idiot box (I haven't got one...)

Ciao

Lynn H.
  • September 28, 2009 10:35 AM BST
    I find it amusing that only people who might be affected by abortions are against abortions and yet will with the same breath support abortions for everyone else. HMMMM

After all didn't the supreme courts here in Canada and the USA determine that it is ONLY a fetus or a zygote or a piece of flesh and not even a human being yet until it is born?
    So according to the law nothing has been lost.

One is either for it or against it. Personally I think the children unborn are humans and should have rights to their own bodies as well. But that's just me.

Just a thought.

Stephenie
  • September 28, 2009 10:37 AM BST
    Thanks for the links ladies much appreciated. i hope to have them on my website when I get back to updating it...

Thanks again

Stephenie
    • 2017 posts
    October 27, 2008 8:21 PM GMT
    Thankyou for that Marsha, it'll be interesting to see the follow up on it.

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    October 29, 2008 4:50 AM GMT
    Nice catch, Marsha.

Professor/Dr. Harley has done other work that impacts our community, including inter-sexed conditions where the individuals sex phenotype (appearance) is reversed from the actual genotype (xx, xy, etc). Here is part of an abstract of his related work for those of you with an interest in some of the details involved in his work: the SRY gene centrally involved in producing a male child from an XY chromosomal arrangement.

"The decision of the bi-potential gonad to develop into either a testis or ovary is determined by the presence or absence of the Sex-determining Region gene on the Y chromosome (SRY). Since its discovery, almost 13 years ago, the molecular role that SRY plays in initiating the male sexual development cascade has proven difficult to ascertain. While biochemical studies of clinical mutants and mouse genetic models have helped in our understanding of SRY function, no direct downstream targets of SRY have yet been identified. There are, however, a number of other genes of equal importance in determining sexual phenotype, expressed before and after expression of SRY. Of these, one has proven of central importance to mammals and vertebrates, SOX9. This review describes our current knowledge of SRY and SOX9 structure and function in the light of recent key developments.

Copyright © 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel"

http://content.karger.com[...]=archiv

Now we just need research on how to reach the brains of the people who will continue to insist on basing our legal system on a piece of historical fiction instead of the scientific facts. If we are going to outlaw social "choices", let's go after religious freedom next. That is clearly a choice as we have not found a "religious gene"..........yet.
    • 2573 posts
    November 12, 2008 3:17 AM GMT
    Well, Lynn, there is some comfort in the knowledge that the same religious Right that claims we make a choice will ignore that scientific research as well and be standing there fighting against the abortion of future TG persons while they deny we can be predicted in the first place....otherwise they would burn us in the womb. Lets face it, knowledge will never replace faith for these people. But we want to know more so keep the new discoveries coming ladies. Inquiring minds want to know. Inquisitioning minds do not want to know.
    • 2627 posts
    November 15, 2008 11:06 AM GMT
    http://www.foxnews.com/st[...]00.html

I found another link to a story in Fox News
    • 2573 posts
    November 17, 2008 4:46 AM GMT
    Ellen,

There is an old, Mongolian saying:

"If you would speak the truth, have one foot in your stirrup."
    • 2573 posts
    November 17, 2008 4:50 AM GMT
    karen,

Oh, wow, gf, thank you for posting that link. If you check back a couple years you will find a post by me announcing the study and contact information on it. I'm so excited to see results from it in print.