Has anyone tried Smooth Away?

• December 3, 2008 3:48 AM GMT
    Hi all-

I keep seeing this product Smooth Away advertised on TV. It's a device that uses a pad to remove hair and comes in several sizes, larger for the body and a small one for the face and around the lips. I have quite a bit of hair to remove and have been using razors and cremes so far, working on sections at a time to give my skin a rest, so I wondered if this Smooth Away truly works. Thanks for your input.
    • 1195 posts
    December 5, 2008 2:34 AM GMT
    Thank you Lucy (you're a gem- small joke)
    I'm think i'm thin skinned enough - I hit my hand and the spot bleeds - I'll stick to my electric shaver and give it a once over with the safety razor if needed. Don't need any sanding - thank you.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1652 posts
    December 3, 2008 10:45 AM GMT
    I haven’t tried Smooth Away, but I do use a similar thing called a Silkymit, and I also own a Babyliss Simply Smooth, which is an electronic version of the same principle.
    These things are basically fine sandpaper, and should not be relied on for regular hair removal, or at all for removal of coarse, male-type hair. They may be effective at removing fine or downy hair, but as it’s a fairly intense form of exfoliation it’s not something you can use every day, as you won’t have any skin left if you use it too often.
    If you have reasonably normal male-type hair on your face, don’t attempt to remove it with sandpaper, the same goes for other parts of your body. You may be able to eventually remove the hair but not before you have rubbed your skin red-raw and seriously damaged it. It’s like having sunburn, but worse. And of course normal male hair will re-appear the next day unless it’s plucked out, so you’ll be left with stubble and really won’t want to shave, nor should you use depilatory creams on such damaged skin.
    These products are really designed for natal women, whose hair takes much longer to grow back than ours. After 4 years on hormones, over 1 year post-op, I still couldn’t rely on this sort of thing for hair-removal.
    They are great for buffing the legs, giving a nice smooth finish. I use them the day after shaving or a couple of days after epilating. But you really must be careful not to overdo it. As well as removing hair, they remove skin!
    They may have an occasional place in my beauty regime for exfoliation, but they are not a wonder product for hair removal.
    Stick to razors on the face. Use razors or creams for the rest of the body or buy an epilator which will last longer, or better still try waxing (professionally, not DIY) if you can afford it.
    Don’t believe the hype about Smooth Away, it is just a piece of sandpaper.
    xx