Skin Tone

• 1 posts
    February 4, 2009 10:28 PM GMT
    Anyone help me pick out my skin tone from this small pic ? Also anyone know of a good discreet place online to buy a starter kit for makeup?

Thanks
    • 1195 posts
    February 5, 2009 3:14 PM GMT
    Joelle - skin tone from photos is tough. In order to find a "foundation" cream I use the underside of my forearm. This skin is about the same color as your face. I
    don't like a starter kit, you get more than you'll ever use..
    What you'll need is a (1)toner, (2) moisturizer (3)foundation -then you get into eye shadow, eye brow pencil, eye liner, mascara, blush and finally lipstick.
    I suspect that a kit would probably have all this but getting it right and to your liking would be difficult. I'm lucky in that my wife ad I shop for cosmetics at the same time and she advises me, if she thinks I'm going over the edge. Don't you have a female friend, SO or wife you could go shopping with?
    good luck and hugs
    Gracie
  • February 8, 2009 5:34 PM GMT
    Hi Joelle,
    I have found Bare Essentials (BE) to be a great place to get makeup.

It is a light powdery mineral based makeup thats very kind to your skin (i have sensitive skin).

They have a bare bones starter kit that has some nice makeup brushes, enough
    makeup to get started and an instructional video to help you. Since mineral based makeup
    is relatively new, the video is geared toward helping women apply the makeup to achieve a more
    natural smooth complexion without looking "made up".

In addition to the basic kit, you will need some moisturizer , eye shadow & lipstick to complete your kit.
    Depending on your facial hair status, you will probably need to also get some cover for your facial hair.
    They dont sell that, so you will need to go elsewhere for that.

From a standpoint of internet ordering vs. going into a store, I would breath deeply, settle your nerves and
    simply go into the store. In my experiences , the staff are very helpful. They guided me on
    proper skin tone match, choice of moisturizer for my skin type, and color recommendations for
    eye shadow and lip gloss. They even threw in a nice tube of lipgloss that would go nice with what I had
    already picked out.

I was quite nervous the 1st time I went into the store, but realized that I have every right to shop whereever I want.
    However, I did pick a time during the week, on my 1st visit, so the store would not have alot of people in it.
    Nowdays, I go in any time and find visits fun instead of stressful.

Good Luck,
    MichelleLynn

• February 6, 2009 9:21 PM GMT
    Joelle if you want to buy make up online then do a google search for a Canadian supplier, But it is far better to go and get them from the shop as you can try the sample containers then as Mary said you can try a bit on your forearm to get a good match.
    If you look at the post i started called "make up tips" there are links to a few site on how to apply to which is best for what skin and so on.
    Hope that helps

Hugs
    Sammi