Dance, dance

• 1195 posts
    February 15, 2009 2:58 PM GMT
    I love to dance - although I'm not too coordinated - I'll blame that on either "blond" or being left handed (no offence intended). I like square dancing; haven't done it in years but it was fun. Did the Fox Trot in the 40s and 50s. Tried to Rhumba - badly. The Mombo, Cha-cha, etc. weren't my thing. Learned the formulated steps of Disco dancing - very coordinated - much to my surprise.
    I do Bogie.

Question: Since I haven't been on the dance floor for over 10 years - what's happening now?
    What's popular and what do you like to do?

hugs from old twinkle toes
    Gracie

PS I did learn to tap.....he, he, what a mess
    • 83 posts
    April 29, 2009 6:04 AM BST
    I'm not sure what's popular now, and it's been about the same amount of years since I last danced.

I was very much into square dancing with my first wife (the one I mentioned in another thread was killed in a traffic accident last month). In fact, she was a square dance caller, and I composed music for square dancing, and we sold CDs of it. As far as I know my music is still in use at square dances, and I was well known amongst square dance callers at one time.

If you're interested in getting back into square dancing, I'd recommend going to a gay square dance club. The gay dancers I danced with years ago on a couple of occasions were awesome, they're younger, there's no dress code, and it's fine to dance in male or female position no matter how you're dressed. I looked at your profile, and you list Waco as the city, and I assume Texas is the state. I checked the website for the gay clubs and found there's one in Austin and another one is San Antonio.

You can see the complete list of all gay square dance clubs at

http://www.iagsdc.org/mai[...]=region

I do hope to return to the dance floor myself next fall. We'll see how things go.

Ann
    • 1195 posts
    April 29, 2009 9:34 PM BST
    Nikki - had a few GG friends who learned to belly dance - got some gigs too. Great fun, they said, specially when they had money folded into their g-string.
    If you back is in good shape - go for it.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1195 posts
    April 30, 2009 2:58 PM BST
    Anyone for tap lessons?
    I tried it and thought it was a terrific workout. The lessons lasted 45 minutes - I lasted about 30. It was great fun. I had to stop, unfortunately, because of radiation treatments I had to undergo, Never get back into dancing.
    I read a study that showed that most participants are in their 70s.
    Just think what you have waiting for you.

I'm now into Water Aerobics - anyone interested?
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1195 posts
    April 30, 2009 7:12 PM BST
    Crissy
    That sounds like fun. Instead of in the garden, you could put a pole in your front room and leave the curtains open.
    Loud music helps too..he,he.
    Just kidding.
    I'm sure you get the neighborhood excited just being there.
    hugs and xxx
    Gracie
    • 2017 posts
    February 15, 2009 5:54 PM GMT
    I've always had too many other things going on to learn to dance, but I love some of the dances, and to be able to tap would be great fun!

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    April 29, 2009 1:46 PM BST
    I got seriously enough into disco, in the eighties, to take private lessons with my partner. Was great fun but it's been a while and my partner since is not a dancer, so.........

Would like to get back into dancing when I have a place to practice regularly.
    • 2017 posts
    April 29, 2009 2:36 PM BST
    Hmmm.....what about belly dancing? It's sensual, feminine and a great way to keep toned.

They've just opened a place quite nearby and I was thinking about it, but I don't think I have the fluidity to do it properly, I would end up just looking awkward.

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    April 30, 2009 11:54 AM BST
    All of me is in good shape Mary, but I think I would be about as fluid as robot, lol.

Nikki
  • April 30, 2009 3:09 PM BST
    Hiya Aunty xxXxx

Cos you know I was for some time a proffesional dancer, In Hamburg. I was actually offered a contract to appear at Peanuts on Santa Monica boulevade in LA, which I now think is called 2146 or anyway its a number now as opposed to a name, But would'nt have a clue on line dancing, square dancing or tap, Don't think the punters/clientelle were there for dance appreciation, lol. Unfortunately I was made redundant in Hamburg and unable to take up the offer from LA, because suddenly I was lacking the main attraction, lol. But certainly know how much exercise I was getting then compared with now, and how supple my body was. Perhaps I ought to have a pole erected in the garden and amuse the neighbours whilst getting fit again.

Hugs xxXxx