receding hair line and bald patches

• 15 posts
    April 7, 2009 2:38 AM BST
    hiya, ive always been a girl im heart and mind but ive not yet dressed as one or made any transitions. At 23, i feel ready to start experimenting with the female look i long for, but theres one thing realy worrying me. For the last 2 years ive beeen balding dramaticly( i tyake after my dad hes completely bald and started balding at the same age). I worry about will i be able to pass as female?, and what options are there for me ?. This issue has caused me alot of heart ahe and depression, any help or sugestions and advie would be apreiated, thanks xxx Leighxxx
  • May 24, 2009 6:26 AM BST
    Leigh, many of us (especially those in their 40s) rely on wigs to give us a feminine set of hair because of male-patter baldness. And like Nikki has suggested, a good-quality wig is a definite plus. Wigs also give you the opportunity to change your look as you wish.
  • May 25, 2009 6:53 AM BST
    For the short term, you will probably be spending a fair amount of time in a wig, so you probably want to get a good one. The other posts in this thread have covered that well already.

You have options that are not wig related, however, if you are wanting to try and save your real hair.

You may need to see a doctor but you can try some pharmaceutical solutions like Finasteride (Propecia or Proscar), Minoxidil (Rogain or Regain), Ketoconozol (Nizoral shampoo), or Dutasteride (Avodart) are all known agents for hair regrowth. They dont work for everyone but they do work for most and even for those who dont regrow their hair, the vast majority stop further loss.

Some people report good regrowth from laser therapy, but I dont know how common a response that is. Some swear by it. Others swear at it. Consider it a "maybe".

Hair transplants are also a possibility. While expensive, they are a permanent solution. If you do go for hair transplants your Doc will probably want you to remain on at least one of the above medicines to prevent further loss of the non-transplanted hair you want to keep.

Lastly, there has been some good movement forward in the use of follicle cell cloning and/or use of naturally occurring stem cells in your scalp for growing new follicles - which right now is pretty much science fiction, but in a few years may be a viable option for hair recovery. They are getting it to work in mice, so its just a matter of getting it to work in humans.

Good luck!
    • 2017 posts
    April 8, 2009 10:23 AM BST
    If you were on hormones, it may have helped to prevent hair loss but since you aren't and it sounds like it will be a long time (if at all) before you are, I'm afraid a good wig is going to be your best solution. Pay a little extra to get a good one that has at least a 3/4 monofiliment as it looks more realistic and you have options to style it better.

Don't allow your self to pay too much though, some companies will charge way too much, so shop around.

Don't worry too much about it though, a lot of woman use wigs and you have an option of changing your hair to match your style! Use it positively!

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    May 25, 2009 1:33 AM BST
    Ah, thank goodness for 21st century Britain. You may need to save up a tadge, but we have a thriving personal wig making community. In that area you definately get what you pay for - just investigate wisely and avoid the con merchants..! Whilst it is'nt cheap it can be worthwhile.

Much love

Rae x
  • May 25, 2009 8:29 PM BST
    I was lucky in that I didn't get much male pattern baldness although all three of my brothers have but I still felt the need for some cover -mainly on windy days when my hair blew back off my face and gave a very male look to me... during the years when I was a regular out on Manchester's Canal Street with a lovely gang of girls off the now defunct tvcontacts I relied on a nice wig that didn't cost all that much and was easy to slyle and care for and felt very secure.
    However finally last year I realised I wanted a better solution and so I went for hair transplants. The cost was about £2000 for the initial area and I'm still sticking at that.
    What I didn't realise is that when the surgeon cuts the strip of skin from across the back of the head and then stitches it closed he actually pulls the scalp back -making my forehaed appear higher than ever! I hadn't considered this at all but I I had known I would have searched for a surgeon who took one or more strips vertically.
    I think a better bet would have been to take two smaller vertical strips and then filled out the whole bare area lightly rather than try to get a thicker covering on the top front.
    The graft from the strip do actually cover things a bit and I'm sort of OK but I'd definitey like more..but I need to find a surgeon who will get several small strips from various parts of my head and not just one from the back.
    Live and learn I suppose!