Hi from New Zealand - Book Writing

• April 13, 2009 1:19 AM BST
    Greetings to you all

- I am in my 50's and have just written three books on my journey so far, covering good and bad experiences. I am interested in publishing them. Like a lot of people I don't have a lot of dollars to throw into the next stage.

- Does anyone know any publishers who are sympathetic/empathetic towards those who are transgendered? All I'm doing at the moment is trying to find out relative information so that I can follow my dreams.

- I desperately would like to get some money behind me to have the operations that I consider necessary for me, but in some way I think that may be a pipe dream, however who knows.

- On this site I am not a fully subscribed member (unfortunately,) so I cannot respond directly to anyone. I am willing to give my e-mail address on this site, but please be genuine in offering me help if you can.

Love in the peace of knowing that we are all part of the creation of the universe.

Miriam
    • 89 posts
    April 13, 2009 5:57 AM BST
    Hi, Miriam and welcome to TW. Just returned myself after a few years of absence.

Just finished my record braking seven and a half hour Skype call. I am feeling great but definitely need to stretch my back for a while. The discussion was with the great love of my life and I am happy with the outcome. :-)

Wish a nice Monday to everybody. I'll return later today.
    • 2 posts
    August 31, 2009 5:59 AM BST
    My recommendation is to look at other highly acclaimed trans books and see who published them. For instance "She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders" (don't know how to underline) by Jennifer Boylan was published by Broadway Books and "S/he" written by Claudine Griggs, was published by Oxford. I just went to a LGBT resource group and wrote down 30 different publishers of trans subject books and have yet to narrow it down. I find this to be a more reliable resource then a basic google search. There is no slanting or bias involved.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
    Kayleigh,
    Fellow writer (yet unpublished)
  • May 15, 2009 4:57 PM BST
    Do a surf for ON DEMAND PUBLISHERS...these will take your MSS on disc, make it into books, get the necessary ISBN number and send a few to libraries etc.. in UK all books have to be submitted to British Museum Library...not sure about NZ...then they put up a page on Amazon and any orders they print as needed and post off and send you the cash...they seem pretty good but obviously you need to shop around...some do deals from as littll as £150.

Nice pottery faces by they way...

Rose
    • 2573 posts
    May 15, 2009 6:02 PM BST
    Miriam,
    You might consider checking into the "blooking community" and online publishing, which you will note TW does some of. http://gendersociety.com/shop[...]cat=252 I currently read a number of serialized manga and books that are parallel published in hard copy when enough pages are posted online. This builds a following if your work is appreciated and readers even make contributions of cash to push things along. One such writer has had her story picked up for Fall season on the SciFi channel.

http://www.talesofmu.com/[...]ook01/1

I love it and was frustrated when I "caught up" and had to wait for each new episode. Before this, I never read anything this long on line. Now I have to limit my list to have free time. It is a story very supportive of GLBT and other lifestyles without being preachy. It certainly stretches the concept of acceptance to "the edge". It's sure to be toned down for television. "TWO<3" No, that is not a typo, <grin>

Another favorite is MISFILE,

http://www.misfile.com/in[...]?page=2

A wonderful manga about a heterosexual male who finds himself misfiled as a female by heaven and must adjust to gender dysphoria. It's bound to stretch both MtF and FtM readers in conflicting ways. I feel it would be an excellent tool to let unaccepting heterosexual males understand what it's like to be MtFand be trapped in the wrong body. It would clearly explain the situation for FtMs to those who do not understand the same. It's not your standard, "Oh, my, I like being a girl" story.

Hope these give you some ideas, Miriam.
  • August 31, 2009 11:15 AM BST
    the trouble with book publishing companies is that they work to looooooooooooong schedules although they can rush out a book to catch an important event...and if they have done one book on a particular subject they may not be interested in another if the first didn't do well...but then publishers may have their own agendas...

I'm just doing two print-on-demand books...total cost to me is £340 and after that any sales will cost me nothing but bring in £x..
    conventional publishing costs nothing but will only bring in 10% of £x and thats after a long wait...

those pottery faces look goregeous..if you made those you've got fame and fortune at your finger tips...I'd prefer one without the cups though...

rose
    • 2127 posts
    August 31, 2009 12:02 PM BST
    I have read some of Miriam's work and I can tell you that she is a very accomplished author. We recently published one of her books digitally. 'To Wherever The Bus Stops' is available for download here...

http://gendersociety.com/[...]d=16167

...and it makes for a really good read.

Hugs,

Katie x