Thread improvement?

• 404 posts
    June 7, 2009 9:11 PM BST
    OK,I'm not an IT expert..............

One thing here on TW which I'm starting to find a little frustrating is that,unlike for example on the Rose's Forum site,there is no "quote" or "Multi-quote" function in the threads .On Rose's I find this to be a very useful function since it makes clear which particular posting you're referring to in a thread.

Any chance of anything like that here,Katie?

Lynn
    • 1912 posts
    June 8, 2009 12:24 AM BST
    Uhm Lynn, If you notice right across the top of the thread it says "Threaded View" or "Conversational View". Threaded view will give you what you are looking for.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 404 posts
    June 10, 2009 8:06 PM BST
    Thanks Marsha but that's not quite what I mean-and that's without me being relatively IT-illiterate.I think the best thing is to look at:

http://www.rosesforum.tv

To see what I'm trying to get at.

Lynn
    • 1912 posts
    June 11, 2009 3:02 AM BST
    Lynn, I know what you are after now. The yahoo forums are similar where when you reply it shows the post you were replying to which is often nice because it can help avoid confusion especially if you say something like i agree with the last post, not knowing someone else posted right before you. I've also heard mixed feelings on that because some people feel the quotes clutter things up, but I'm probably more on your side liking to know exactly what the forum was in response to. Our forums do offer the ability to insert a quote, but few use it.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 404 posts
    June 12, 2009 2:56 PM BST
    OK,I have noticed these options but I've never worked out how to use them ,not least because I've not the faintest idea where the square brackets come from-there certainly aren't any obvious ones on my keyboard.

Lynn
    • 746 posts
    June 13, 2009 6:06 PM BST
    Not bad Wendy...but mine is to the "other left", or right as it is commonly known here in Virginia LOL of the "P" on my keyboard...but hey, you're a "LeftCoaster"...at least you found it!

Traci
  • June 14, 2009 8:55 AM BST
    What I find strange is that CTRL+C and CTRL+V works fine in the forum but if I try to paste in the blog section a big warning comes up and makes it impossible to paste (I use Vista). FF gives a link how to "solve" the problem but it's just too complicated for me to solve it. In IE I have option to accept but then it crash and restart IE. In Opera it ask for approvals and then it works but in Opera there is no toolbar showing. Strange...

xxx Natalie
    • 404 posts
    June 14, 2009 7:04 PM BST
    .......left 'p' is 'o',right of 'p' is 'ü'...............I'm in Germany,using a german keyboard........and it's new!Even the Vista guide book doesn't mention such brackets.Maybe the german equivalents are > <?

To be blunt,I suspect most TW users just want something to click on........

Lynn
  • June 14, 2009 7:31 PM BST

I think it's called "double-elimination bracket"? and it is as Katie say nect to the P and every keyboard must have it as it's used also in matematics? But for countries like France, Germany and Scandinavia (also maybe Spain and Italy) it does not exist.

To reach it you will need to install English keyboard from your Control Panel in Windows and then you get an icon with "EN" in the lower right corner of you screen where you can switch between your own language keyboard and English keyboard. While in English keyboard you find it next to P which is "Ü" and "*" on the German keyboard.

I’m not a computer freak but I do need English and French keyboard so that’s what I do.

Hopes that helps because it works.

xxx Natalie

• 2127 posts
    June 11, 2009 7:48 PM BST
    Hi girls,

Our forums do offer the ability to insert a quote, but few use it.

As you can see, Marsha is right. There is a list of options, of which quotes are but one, underneath the message box when you are typing your reply.

However, I do think that the quote could maybe stand out more from the rest of the message. I'll ask Eric if he can do anything about that but as usual, it may come down to money (or lack of it).

Hope that helps.

Katie
    • 2463 posts
    June 12, 2009 3:44 PM BST
    Being from Chicago I am a big believer in graft and extortion. Personally, I think every time someone writes a forum thread I should get five dollars.

To show my good faith in this venture, I just took five out of my wallet and put it back in. See? I practice what I preach.
    • 2127 posts
    June 13, 2009 11:16 AM BST
    Hi Lynn, I think that is just an anomaly on your keyboard. The vast majority of computer keyboards have always included bracket keys.

Even without them though, you could still copy (Ctrl + C) the quote example from the list of options below the message box, paste it into your message (Ctrl + V) and then modify it to look the way you want.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    June 13, 2009 5:56 PM BST
    OK,I have noticed these options but I've never worked out how to use them ,not least because I've not the faintest idea where the square brackets come from-there certainly aren't any obvious ones on my keyboard.

To the left of the "P" on your keyboard, Lynn. Lowercase.
    • 2463 posts
    June 13, 2009 9:08 PM BST
    Getting mad here.............not making any money off of this..............
    • 2127 posts
    June 14, 2009 1:34 AM BST
    Mine's to the right of the "P" too, here in the UK. I think it's pretty universal.

Hugs,

KT x
    • 2573 posts
    June 16, 2009 4:32 AM BST
    I am well corrected. I plead exhaustion and pre-first-time-Out-jitters.