The 4th Plinth

• 126 posts
    July 20, 2009 4:21 PM BST
    A little while ago, I was surfing the BBC News web pages, and came across a story about the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square, London. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and not having anyone nearby to tell me to "step away from the computer" I signed up to take part. Even tho there have been nearly 28,000 volunteers, my name came out of the hat this morning, and I'm on the plinth from 10pm to 11pm on the 22nd August. Now I'm not exactly panicking yet but......
    OMG!!! OMG!!! What am I going to wear? What am I going to do for an hour? Do I need new shoes? OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!!

http://www.oneandother.co[...]s/Mandy
  • July 20, 2009 6:13 PM BST
    I knew this would happen!!!!! It was just a matter of time til you forgot the repercussions of replying/applying to stuff on the Beeb News website!!!! Dont you remember you ended up on local radio last time!!! PMSL!!! Daft cow! STEP AWAAAAAAY FROM THE COMPUTER!!!!!!
    • 126 posts
    July 21, 2009 7:55 PM BST
    Yes sorry Wendy, and to all the non UK girls.

I have found a couple of links here, the first is to the live feed, so you can see who's on the plinth right now,
    http://www.oneandother.co[...]ve feed

and the second is to an archive of all the plinthers so far.
    http://www.oneandother.co[...]Archive

• 126 posts
    July 21, 2009 7:57 PM BST
    Yes sorry Wendy, and to all the non UK girls.

I have found a couple of links here, the first is to the live feed, so you can see who's on the plinth right now,
    www.oneandother.co.uk

and the second is to an archive of all the plinthers so far.
    www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/day?day=2009-07-21

• 1195 posts
    July 22, 2009 8:07 PM BST
    Mandy - It'll be fun - just think of all the facinating things you could do. You could read (aloud) poetry by -your choice; do you know how to tap dance? You could bring along a music player and sing along. (We have karioki machines - usually in bars- you must have to down a few drinks first).
    Wear something stylish - might I suggest a pant suit - might be a windy day. If it's a rainy day - wear a "surfer" outfit.
    There should be enough TW girls in the area and the 22nd is a Saturday so I hope you have a friendly mob to cheer you on for one hour.
    What fun
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 126 posts
    July 24, 2009 11:26 AM BST

Hello Rae and Mary,

I do have an idea or two

My first idea was a picnic with pink food and a pink outfit, perhaps that would make it pink-nic? LOL
    But then I have been working on “my story” a sort of biography of what its been like growing up as a transvestite, so my second idea is to sit on the edge of the plinth, on a nice thick comfy cussion, and read it out. If I cant decide which to do, I might just go for both LOL
    • 1195 posts
    July 24, 2009 5:13 PM BST
    Mandy Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have fun.. If you do go pink - make sure you have a pink bow in your hair.
    I'll expect a report and pics too if available.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 2573 posts
    July 21, 2009 1:00 AM BST
    I'm sure most of us across The Pond guess that a Plinth is like a Punter or some variation on Dr. Who's phone booth contraption. Perhaps you could explain it to them. Closest we have seen is THE FOURTH PROTOCOL with Michael "ZULU" Caine.

What is the Fourth Plinth?

The Fourth Plinth is in the north-west of Trafalgar Square, in central London. Built in 1841, it was originally intended for an equestrian statue but was empty for many years. It is now the location for specially commissioned artworks.
    http://www.london.gov.uk/[...]plinth/

There we go.
    • 734 posts
    July 21, 2009 11:35 PM BST
    Hey Mandy, I'm sure you'll make the most of your opportunity - well done!

And look at it from this perspective: one definition of 'plinth' is 'a square base, as for a vase'. Then all you have to do is stand there and bloom like the wonderful flower you are.

Much love.

Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    July 24, 2009 10:31 PM BST
    Mandy,

Both sound like great ideas. It would be very interesting to hear your reading if you select that one - a good choice.

Hope you have someone to video it for YouTube......

Much love

Rae xx
  • July 26, 2009 11:17 AM BST
    take some thick cheap note pads preferabbly bright colours and a book of quotes for the day and as you sit there read out the quote then write your name and the quote a sheet, fold it into a plane and throw it into the air to see where it lands into the crowd so that when you have you moment of fame people will be able to see you...and have their vicarious moment of reflected glory...