The Last Tommy

• 448 posts
    July 26, 2009 12:00 PM BST
    Britain's last surviving veteran of the First World War, Harry Patch, died yesterday aged 111. He was our last remaining link to a generation who made sacrifices that to us today seem unimaginable. He opposed Britain's engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan and is quoted as saying: " War is organised murder; and nothing else." God Bless You, Harry Patch, ' The Last Tommy ', R.I.P
    • 448 posts
    July 26, 2009 10:38 PM BST
    It can only be to the detriment of our community that I am the only person who found Harry Patch's passing worthy of acknowledgement.
    • 448 posts
    July 26, 2009 10:38 PM BST
    It can only be to the detriment of our community that I am the only person who found Harry Patch's passing worthy of acknowledgement.
  • July 26, 2009 11:51 PM BST
    Porscha never heard of him but " War is organised murder; and nothing else" I could not agree more. I always say every dead person has a family no matter if they are from Middle East, UK or USA but as in many wars some seams to have more value than other which is not a fact at all.

One interesting thing is that there is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdbVgzXoZbA&feature=related Harry Patch

and one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7peTBVprtY&feature=related Henry Allingham age 111 and they say it's 3 that still lives so is it two more living then or is the video just old?

xxx Natalie
  • July 29, 2009 7:02 PM BST
    Hi Porscha,i so agree and he seems a nice old boy and what a shame that our disgusting Tabloids and Quisling politicians used his funeral as yet another orgy of militaristic triumphalism! How about commemorating the German war dead as well as our gallant allies,Nina Papillon-hugs+xxx's
    • 734 posts
    July 26, 2009 10:59 PM BST
    On the contrary Porscha, I am sure many in our community found his passing of note and worthy of acknowledgement. And did so in their own individual ways. Not necessarily in a forum.
    • 2068 posts
    July 26, 2009 11:07 PM BST

Couldn't agree More Porscha, they simply dont make them like Harry Patch anymore.

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie