Real Femininity

• 871 posts
    December 3, 2009 6:51 PM GMT
    What is real femininity? Well, who can say, so I thought that it might be a good idea for everyone to share what was, to them, important about femininity, compare notes and maybe have a chuckle or 2 along the way

I thought that if 4 questions were posed and everyone could provide their personal answers then I'm sure we will enjoy a richness of diversity from different cultures and lifestyles. Have fun!

Q1 = Best aspect of femininity?
    Q2 = Worst aspect of femininity?
    Q3 = Best aspect of masculinity?
    Q4 = Worst aspect of masculinity?

here's mine...
    1, The freedom to express all emotions. The look of shock horror on people's faces when I let a really big ripper of a fart go.
    2, I can be really spiteful and vindictive if someone really narks me off lol.
    3, I behave all pathetic when considering lifting a heavy object and a man lifts the object for me, the man gets a sense of validation in being strong, a provider and protector which in turn also gives me a sense of validation as a woman.
    4, Males can be very aggressive which can be quite scary especially if they are ignorant and bigoted.
    • 171 posts
    December 3, 2009 7:46 PM GMT
    At the moment my answers are;

1. That you can happily engage in light-hearted conversation and ask and answer lots of questions
    2. That you may be forever engaged in light-hearted conversation, asking and answering lots of questions
    3. That you can happily ignore conversation and forget what you've been asked
    4. That you can find yourself lonely, looking for answers

Rachel
    • 871 posts
    December 3, 2009 8:15 PM GMT
    Hiya Melody, Im sure most people are inbetween. This is a bit of fun and theres absolutely no rules or restrictions to the extent of any opinion that anyone wishes to express
    • 1912 posts
    December 3, 2009 9:59 PM GMT
    I think this is easy, uhmm, maybe, lol.

Here is a physical reply:

OMG, being able to wear all sorts of colors and fashions.

The clothing selection is mind boggling and trying to remember what you wore one day so you don't wear it again too soon.

Life is simple, jeans and a tshirt along with sitting around watching sports on TV.

Q4 = Worst aspect of masculinity? You are expected to do all the dirty jobs like taking out the garbage, changing flat tires, working on cars and mowing the lawn.

And here is an emotional reply:

Being able to express your emotions such as crying for any reason.

Having those emotional moments and not having anyone care.

The ability to be the leader, decision maker in your life no matter what affect it has on others.

Being criticized for showing emotions.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 157 posts
    December 4, 2009 12:18 PM GMT

The freedom to express yourself not only in the way you dress but to show emotion too

Not being taken seriously - from the work you do to the ideas you have

Not feeling as vulnerable

Being confined to a small little box of expression

Jeri
  • December 5, 2009 3:12 PM GMT
    The big difference I've noticed between men and women is how they think and deal with others. So the best thing about femininity is that women are more understanding of emotions and are better at giving comfort. On the other hand, having this knowledge makes women very dangerous when they want to hurt someone, and can inflict more damage emotionally than any man could physically.

The best thing about masculinity is that they confront problems head on and you know when to run. The worst thing is that they can be completely oblivious to a woman's emotional pain and often unable to offer comfort or correct their behavior.

Personaly, I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle, but in the end it all comes down to the person as the individual.
  • January 3, 2010 5:20 AM GMT
    Best aspect of femininity?
    Not being afraid or ashamed to show my feelings, and of course clothes, shoes, hair, makeup, all the wonderful girl stuff that men don't share.

Worst aspect of femininity?
    Sometimes being a jealous little bitch!

Best aspect of masculinity?
    Good men who respect and care for others.

Worst aspect of masculinity?
    Men who drive round and round a strange town completely lost but flatly refusing to ask directions!
    • 1083 posts
    January 4, 2010 8:17 PM GMT
    Penny--

A great question.

My take is that we have no real notion of femininity, just as we can't really define masculinity!

Your questions are asking for female/male traits. Which is good, and I really have enjoyed thinking through them!

But if we could define and capture the true essence of femininity...we could all be much farther along the journey than we are.

Still....

Q1. The best part is simply being able to live like a woman.
    Q2. **null answer**
    Q3. I'm still looking for an answer to this one.
    Q4. Being stuck living as a man for the rest of one's life.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 1017 posts
    December 3, 2009 7:49 PM GMT
    Hi Penny,

Keeping in mind you are asking for the very best and very worst, most folks probably fall somewhere in the middle:

Q1, The inherent nurturing and loving quality associated with mothering, though it certainly doesn't require actually being a mother.

Q2, The tendency to be two-faced, catty and manipulative.

Q3, Being strong, protective and sensitive, again parenting attributes that don't require actually being a parent.

Q4, Dealing with adversity with macho violence instead of using the brain.

Best,
    Melody

• 2627 posts
    December 4, 2009 2:08 PM GMT
    I think Jeri spoke how I feel about it mostly but I think there's more. I've been with girls that could melt my heart with just a look.
    The worst thing about being a man is not seeing that look or not caring if you do.
    All this talk about behavier makes the woman is crap. If you've seen a woman in a store trying to tame unruly kids it may not look very femm, but that is a woman.
    Being a woman is not the same as being a lady. Being a man is not the same as being a gentleman.