Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Transgender teen: McDonald’s discriminat

Transgender teen: McDonald’s discriminat

Tags : None
  • MSNBC.COM, Associated Press. Transgender teen: McDonald’s discriminates http://www.msnbc.msn.com/[...]from/ET

A 17 year old MTF transsexual has filed suit against a Tampa, Florida McDonalds for discrimination. Slow but sure we are making progress and the public is hearing about the struggles we face.

Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 8, 2009 1:23 AM GMT
    Thanks for that, Marsha. I'm so glad she has the fortitude - at such a young age - to take the matter further. What absolute ignorance she was faced with! On the one hand it makes me despair but on the other I see hope when people like her take these companies on.
    Much love
    Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      December 8, 2009 1:48 AM GMT

• Good for HER, taking on this bigoted lot. its the 21st century & not the dark ages. we should be respected just like any member of the human race & not have to take this discrimination. I for one hope she Wins her case.

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      December 8, 2009 11:49 PM GMT
  • Over the years I have literally hired and fired hundreds of people, and yes that is with an "s", so I will make no judgment on whether or not this gal should have been hired. I think it is obvious to most that this gal was called in for an interview and if McDonalds had just interviewed her and kept their mouth shut, they could have moved on without a problem. Or who knows, maybe they would have realized that this kid had great potential and would have made the perfect worker. Instead they chose to deny an interview and insult this gal. I'm thinking this is the last thing McDonald's Corporation would want franchises with it's name doing, so it will be interesting to hear an outcome on this. I'm suspecting there will be some sort of hushed settlement which will do little to help our cause.

What I would like is for those interested to contact McDonald's Corp. U.S. and let them know that you believe the treatment this gal got is unacceptable.

Here is the contact information for McDonald's Corp. U.S. I ask that should you write them a note that you do it in a professional manner. Thanks, Marsha

McDonalds online contact info: http://www1.mcdonalds.com[...]ialresp

Mailing address:
    McDonald’s Corporation
    2111 McDonald's Dr
    Oak Brook, IL 60523
      December 9, 2009 12:44 AM GMT
    Thanks for that Marsha, but I may have to use snail mail...

The form can only be filled in by US citizens. We foreigners don't count, apparently. With usual McDonaldesque intellect, they provide you with space to put in your address. Helpfully noting 'US only' but then 'red star' the fields as needing to be completed. Doh!

What a complete bunch of numpties this global conglomorate is evolving into...

Rae x

www.raekelcou.com
      December 9, 2009 1:22 AM GMT
  • Thank you for trying Rae. Call me an activist if you would like, I went ahead and contacted McDonald's and have asked for an email stating their corporate policy regarding transgendered. McDonald's got big by providing what it's customers wanted, therefore I fully expect to get a reply and I will post it here should and when it comes. I don't feel any anti McDonald's nonsense is appropriate here because most McDonald's restaurants are franchises and this is likely one that made a bad choice in how to handle a TG gal. I would be happy knowing that it is not McDonald's corporate policy to discriminate based on anything, especially gender identity.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 9, 2009 1:46 AM GMT
    And I'll try again some other way.
    There's nothing wrong with being an 'activist'. Although I don't think I am one myself tbh!
    I hope you're not thinking my post was generalised 'anti-McDonalds nonsense' as that would definately indicate a misreading of my words.
    I am fully aware that it is a franchised organisation but one which, in this case, has clearly lost control of its franchisee.
    The only thing McDonalds has provided [that the customer wanted] was speed. They simply made fast food fast, and universally so. That doesn't mean they understand quality.
    At the end of the day they want a global identity irrespective - and despite - their franchise status.
    My last line stands... :)

Rae x
    www.raekelcou.com
      December 9, 2009 2:26 AM GMT
  • Hi Marsha, I have heard several cases involving business discriminating against transexuals and transgender women, and obvious its the most heated debates right now since people should have rights in the work place with gender identity. I read some where that congress in the United States is trying to pass a bill called ENDA again that protects transsexuals and transgender women from being discrimination and this will be federal law. Hopefully it actually passes this time now that Obama is supporting the bill and with almost 60 Senators supporting it (there could be more by now). As for the girl I think she did the right thing because this discrimination shouldn't even be an issue any more and its good to know that she is sticking up for herself, and doing something about it.

Link: http://www.outinjersey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=465:inclusive-enda-legislation-introduced-in-senate&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

With Love,
    Ashley
    Myspace account: http://www.myspace.com/513093521 I am still working on making it look great.
      December 9, 2009 3:11 AM GMT
  • Rae, the nonsense thing had absolutely nothing to do with you, it was my response that I don't believe TG's should try and boycott or protest McDonald's in any way.

I do think it is asking way to much for a corporation to have so much control over a franchisee that they could have prevented something like this. They can set guidelines, but people are people and you end up with rogue employees. The problem people were managers, hired individuals, really nothing to do with ownership. They just handled this wrong. And that is where the corporation needs to step in and make it clear that they do not want any restaurant with their name on it to handle anyone this way. And that is just what I asked McDonald's for.

As for why McD's is big, we obviously have differences of opinion because I happen to be a business and marketing major. McD's does provide quality, not necessarily the burger itself, but the consistency. People want consistency more than anything else and McD's delivers. McD's was also one of the first fast food chains even when the healthiness of it's food was low, they still posted the nutritional value. Since then they added salads and now an entire line of healthier meals. McD's has adjusted with the times and needs to be respected for the advancements it has brought to the fast food industry.

I am a capitalist. How many jobs has government created? How many has McD's created? And at least McD's has a product.

Lots of hugs,
    Marsha
      December 9, 2009 3:17 AM GMT
  • Ashley, yes it looks like ENDA will again go up for a vote and this time include transgender. However, there have been recent cases fought and won based on sex discrimination under current discrimination laws. The largest case happened to be the case against the federal government and the gal that had her job offer with the National Library revoked because of making it known she planned to transition. Another recent one was between a gal in Appleton, Wisconsin and a night club that would not allow her to use either the men's or women's restroom. Again both of these were fought based on sex discrimination, not gender identity.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 9, 2009 3:26 AM GMT
  • Yes I understand what you’re saying Marsha and I haven't really heard of transgender men and women or transsexuals reporting discrimination on this basis but I have heard of recent one such as in Florida a transgender woman was fired from her job because she went for the surgery. What I find little ridiculous about this is that she was making $140,000 a year due to establishing herself and if not being friends with several people in her industry but yet still got fired on the basis of gender identity. I read an article about that a while ago so I my memory is a little fussy about what was described in the article. Like I said previously, we can only hope this ENDA bill will actually pass this time (it's good that Obama is supporting it unlike Bush), and not end in disaster like what happening in 2007 when Bush threaten to veto it and how the bill died in the Senate.

With Love,
    Ashley
    Myspace account: http://www.myspace.com/513093521 I am still working on making it look great.
      December 9, 2009 5:50 AM GMT
    I'm cool with that, Marsha m'dear.
    And just for info - I don't want to digress from an excellent thread - I understand there is a huge difference in the standard of service, food quality and portions between the US and the UK. It's a constant grumble by my sister [brought up in Atlanta]. So you may rest assured I've probably never been in a 'proper' McDonalds!
    I too have business and economics in my copius educational portfolio. I too am a jolly capitalist. And, even more good news, I can assure you that our government has created far more jobs in the UK than McDonalds has worldwide. The bad news, though, is that they're all Civil Servants, beaurocrats and other general meddlars doing non-jobs on large wages with even larger guarenteed pensions.
    Ho hum, I think I may emigrate yet...
    Btw, I'm a Burger King kind of gal at heart :)

Rae x
    www.raekelcou.com
      December 9, 2009 11:48 PM GMT
  • Hugs Rae, then I'm sure you do understand. And that was exactly my point on government workers, civil servants, non jobs that the rest of us working people are taxed heavily to pay for their lack of productivity.
    Love,
    Marsha

December 10, 2009 12:27 AM GMT
  • This morning I received a response from McDonald's Corporation U.S. in response to the discrimination shown to Zikerria Bellamy.

Hello Marsha:

Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's and for giving us an opportunity to provide you with the following information.

Please know that McDonald's has a strict policy prohibiting any form of discrimination or harassment in hiring, termination, or any other aspect of employment in the organization. We require all employees to comply with local, state and federal employment laws.

Upon learning about this matter, the restaurant investigated the claims to gather the facts, and action was taken consistent with their employment policies.The behavior of the individual in question is not reflective of McDonald's employment policies.

Further, this individual acted outside the scope of his authority and was not responsible for hiring. The individual in question is no longer employed by the restaurant.

Again, thank you for contacting McDonald's.

Matt
    McDonald's Customer Response Center

ref#:6523097
      December 10, 2009 12:15 PM GMT
  • Result then, good. I don't care whether it's because McD's wants to look politically correct and agrees that the person was treated unfairly or whether they agree with not hiring the person, but can't say so beause of discrimination. Either way, it is a victory and it would be nice if more employers could see beyond 'what' a person is, and instead see 'who' they are.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      December 10, 2009 2:48 PM GMT
    Excellent. Thanks Marsha, it was nice to read.

www.raekelcou.com
      December 10, 2009 10:47 PM GMT
  • Thanks Marsha

I am happy that McDonalds corporate policy is an inclusive one and that the culprit who perpetrated the discrimination was terminated. It gives a certain feeling of vindication and a warm fuzzy that something right is happening.

Jeri
    Jeri Elaine “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.” - Irina Dunn, 1970 Indecision is the key to flexibility. - unknown
      December 11, 2009 2:12 AM GMT
    Note: Poor Mat, he doesn't have a last name.

Marsha - for what its worth - "Capitalist" historically in Europe has a bad conotation. It was a Caste system.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      December 11, 2009 5:17 PM GMT
  • Gracie, first off it is Matt with two T's, lol. I'm not too concerned about there not being a lastname because it is obvious that the letter addressed the specific issue. Secondly, I feel the disclosure about the individual involved is no longer employed by McDonald's is sufficient. You also need to understand that there is a pending lawsuit and it should be understood that limited information would be made public. And lastly, I hope I was not the only one who contacted McDonald's about this, so just getting a response from a customer service rep is pretty good in my book. I hope they had to send out hundreds if not thousands of responses. Did you contact them?
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 11, 2009 9:23 PM GMT
  • And as for "Capitalist" having bad connotations in Europe, so what. You are the teacher, educate them, lol. Oops, you are pro government and union, scratch that idea. Those with money create jobs. Personally I think the CEO's of Microsoft, GE, IBM, the automakers, and other similar corporations should say "f@#$ it, we are just going to close the doors." Then when hundreds of thousand if not millions lose there jobs they can all cry to Obama and see what jobs he can create for them.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 11, 2009 9:37 PM GMT
  • Marsha,

That was the exact same email reply that I got from McD. by the numbers they apparently had sent out over 650,000 responses to complaints over the same incident and had to do a form letter. I'd say that got their attention for the moment.

Hell, they hired that darn clown so I do not see the problem with a Tranny, lol.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      December 13, 2009 12:11 AM GMT
  • Thank you Wendy, I was hoping I was not the only one to contact McD's about this incident. It only makes sense for a form letter to be sent out anyways. If I was the only one to contact them it would be unlikely I would have even received a reply.
    Thanks again and hugs,
    Marsha
      December 13, 2009 2:04 AM GMT
  • Wow Wendy McDonalds sent 650,000 response to this incident... well I am very glad that it reached that number since this is big issue and like Marsha said earlier its getting there slowly so hopefully people can see what we have to deal with.

P.S.: Nice comment at the end since its true that if they have no problem hiring a clown then hiring a transsexual shouldn't even be problem lol..

With love
    Ashley
      December 13, 2009 2:48 AM GMT
    '...for what its worth - "Capitalist" historically in Europe has a bad conotation. It was a Caste system...'

Maybe we need another thread on this. Sorry Mary G but you've really bamboozled this 'European' with that statement. The only caste system that springs to mind is in India. We did have a feudal system, not the same thing, and certainly not equitable to 'capitalism'. I've not seen much evidence that capitalism has had a bad conotation in Europe or the UK.

Confused.

Rae
    www.raekelcou.com
      December 13, 2009 3:00 AM GMT