Fancy Dressing?

• 171 posts
    December 17, 2009 10:00 PM GMT
    An office Christmas party invitation arrives in your in box. It reads 'Fancy Dress - no theme'
    What would be your dream Fancy Dress outfit or nightmare?

• 871 posts
    December 18, 2009 1:06 AM GMT
    I would most likely go green skinned, warty nosed, pointy hat broom stick rider, oh, you meant fancy dress!!!
  • December 18, 2009 2:19 AM GMT
    I would just go as me, it gets laughs every time
    • 434 posts
    December 18, 2009 4:40 AM GMT
    I would not dream of going unless I came wearing a "Fancy Dress." - there is no use going if you can't turn a few heads!
    The dress/outfit I would wear would have to be Royal Blue, Backless, and fairly Short. I would have long gloves, high heels, nylons, and pearls.
    The pearls are a must!!!!
  • December 18, 2009 5:40 AM GMT
    Personally I would go dressed in either a green or red nice party dress with matching heels otherwise it would be a black dress for me.
    • 1912 posts
    December 18, 2009 12:38 PM GMT
    I had my Little Black Dress for three or four years before I got the nerve to wear it out in public and all I can say is I felt truly wonderful being able to wear it. My profile picture here shows me with a red sweater over it. Because my party happened to be a xmas party, I had a pretty red scarf with it once I took my sweater off. And of course I wore heels. If it had not been a xmas party I would have worn pearls. I do happen to have a gorgeous mink coat that had belonged to my mother which I would possibly wear to the right party.
    Hugs,
    Marsha

• 1912 posts
    December 18, 2009 7:41 PM GMT
    Ok, go and ruin everything Nikki, lol. So why can't you just call it a costume party, crazy Brits, lol. In that case I think I would like to go as Catwoman from the Batman series. She seemed to be tall and slender like me and maybe the costume could accentuate the curves, lol.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    December 18, 2009 7:48 PM GMT
    yeah, and one of my timeless classic jokes wasted too!

I describe how i would look going to a fancy dress party, then i insinuate that as its a fancy dress party, one would have to wear a costume as aposed to how one looks normally!

sigh lol
    • 1912 posts
    December 18, 2009 9:17 PM GMT
    I think the Lee Meriwether version would suit me just fine. She is in her 70's now and still beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 171 posts
    December 18, 2009 11:06 PM GMT
    Nikki

Thanks - that was a critically important intervention!
    I wondered why the responses were so straightforward...

For my two penny-worth, I quite like the idea of the following costumes;
    A mermaid - tricky catching the tube and a bit chilly though..
    A not so wicked witch (think Enchanted)
    or perhaps Marilyn Monroe

R

• 1195 posts
    December 19, 2009 1:55 AM GMT
    Hey! My two tuppence.
    Office parties are long gone. They were borring!!
    Went to a party recently- wore an off the shoulder gown. Lacey bodice with a flowing black skirt. Wore a strapless bra (naturally) and kept my shoulder back all night to keep from loosing my composure. Black pumps -5 inch heel - of course.
    Unfortunately, I thought I packed black hose - oops- when I was ready for them -turned out to be flaming red. Wore them anyway. Hey1 Girls got to go with the flow.
    Had a great evening - received many compliments - all from the women. I think the CDs were envious.
    What a blast.
    My recommendation is go for it and have fun.
    hugs
    Gracie
  • December 30, 2009 7:46 AM GMT
    A nice blonde wig, have my brows done in a femenin way, a nice black dress (with all the normal female undergarments, hose, heels (3" pumps black), make up done perfictly, nice long nails (painted a nice pink) my ears pirced twice with nice ear rings, nice jewlery, and a perfictly developed female voice. This is my dream costume.
    • 1083 posts
    January 2, 2010 2:51 AM GMT
    Electric blue off the shoulder dress that comes to just above my knees, matching pumps, hair done up, matching necklace and ring set, long nails in pink, full makeup and that cute little purse I just saw.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 2017 posts
    December 18, 2009 5:08 PM GMT
    I could go as a man, now that would be a laugh!

My last fancy dress party, I went as a lady musketeer.

In case our US sisters are getting confused, 'fancy dress' in UK use means a costume party, not your finest frock.

Nikki
    • 1017 posts
    December 18, 2009 7:51 PM GMT
    Hi Marsha,

Good choice, but which Catwoman: Lee Meriwether, Julie Newmar or Eartha Kitt? They all played her (very differently) in the TV series,
    not to mention Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns (my favorite.)

Best,
    Melody
    • 2358 posts
    December 18, 2009 10:48 PM GMT
    Costume Party, somthing classy, somthing to be remembered by, going dressed in a Harrods carrier bag, sod the wrapping take a peek at whats inside .
    • 1017 posts
    December 18, 2009 11:22 PM GMT
    Hi Penny,

I think I sort of know what you're are saying.

In my 20+ years in the corporate culture they were endlessly trying to get me to conform by wearing a suit and tie. As an old hippie, I very seldom gave in and when I did I really felt like I was wearing a costume. I probably lost multiple promotions by insisting on wearing polo shirts, jeans and sneakers. (I was never in a face to face with the public position.)

On the flip side, when I dress en femme, if I try to do the full make-up, hair, nails, jewelry and formal dress thing, I don't feel it's really me, again it's a costume.

I'm most comfortable in a simple blouse or tank top, jeans or jean skirt and boots in winter and sandals in summer.

So I guess I'd go to a fancy dress party as a suited businessman or fine lady all decked out. Neither would be me...

Best,
    Melody
    • 2017 posts
    January 6, 2010 12:07 PM GMT
    For a costume party with my physique I would choose something like Xena, at least I wouldn't look too out of place then!

Of course, I've always been partial to the slave outfit Carrie Fisher wore in Return of the Jedi................

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    January 6, 2010 4:37 PM GMT
    Dressing as a guy has always worked for me. Nobody ever "reads" me, lol., and I have the build to pull it off.