EYEBROWS

• 72 posts
    January 1, 2010 2:10 PM GMT
    I love to shape my eyebrows.I have arched my eye brows along with shaping it.I want the beginning and the end of my brows to be more pronounced .I need some good advice on the use of eyebrow liner?Can i use it in my home without visiting the beauty parlour and how?
    • 1912 posts
    January 1, 2010 3:51 PM GMT
    There are both eyebrow pencils and eyebrow powder. My preference is the powder with a small brush but I'm sure pencils do just fine with practice. Usually brow pencils and powder are used when you have light or thin brows. Mine happen to be dark towards the nose but really lighten up to the point of being hard to see as you move outwards. It really helps to have a magnifying mirror when doing your brows. You will also want to have handy an eyebrow brush/comb. It sounds like you are already able to shape your brows the way you like. What you are trying to do with the pencil is to define and even out the color in your brow. When applying the brow color whether pencil or powder you don't want it to look like a line drawn on your forehead but instead you fill in lighter areas using short strokes. Then using the eyebrow brush/comb you blend in the color and feather the edges giving a more natural appearance. The hardest part is keeping the brows even when drawing or powdering and that all comes with practice.

A lot of gals may not be familiar with eyebrow powder. It is similar to eye shadow powders but comes in various hair color tones. The brush used to apply it is small, only about 5mm wide and angled. The angle allows you to start your brow a little thicker towards your nose and taper it as you move outwards. I would say it is best used on non-oily skin where it can't be easily wiped away. Otherwise it holds up very well throughout the day.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 157 posts
    January 1, 2010 5:45 PM GMT

I have tried the pencils but just couldn't get the hang of them. I was always too heavy, too light, wrong color, too dark, and the dreaded Vulcan look. I just gave up. I didn't know there were powders, thanks Marsha, I'll have to give them a try. I was going to pickup makeup this weekend anyway - good timing.

I started thinning my brows a couple of hairs at a time, didn't want to go from bushy to thin over night. I wanted to get away from the furry caterpillar look, get them neater – I’m sure I went past just neater and to a bit feminine. When I finally got them where I wanted them, I have been in maintenance mode.

Jeri
    • 308 posts
    January 4, 2010 12:25 PM GMT
    Hello, Miss Suda,
    I use a product from Benefit, called Brow Zings, and it is a two part product one is a tinted wax with a special brush to use for shaping and fill in, once the wax shaping is done lightly I may add, then you use a second brush to sweep over the brows with a powder, comb it out and I always go over it with a cotton swab to get any excess and smooth out, or blend, I am big on blending everything. Also the brows are already pretty shaped by plucking, it nice to give them that little extra zing.
    http://www.benefitcosmeti[...]nodeID=
    Tammy
    • 1017 posts
    January 1, 2010 6:42 PM GMT
    Hi Jeri,

You might want to try a product called Eyebrowz. They are flexible, reusable plastic stencils. They come in various shapes (curved, arched, straight, etc.), lengths and brow thicknesses.

You just hold them where your brow is over one eye and use a pencil or powder to fill in. What's really great about them is after you finish one side you just clean the stencil and flip it over and do the other brow. As long as get them started and centered at the same place, your eyebrows are identical.

I also find them useful for knowing where to pluck unwanted hairs.

http://www.eyebrowz.com/

Best,
    Melody
  • September 18, 2011 11:13 AM BST

Hello girls, I've never used a pencil and didn't know they made powders but if you are dark haired like me a light mascara highlits and controls brows well for those that are limited on make-up supplies. Plucking is a must and I guess stencils are for those that have to darken their brows? I know my alternative isn't as professional but if you're on a budget and you use care it can work well untill you can afford otherwise.

• 3 posts
    December 31, 2011 3:14 PM GMT

Hi Girls. Great tips from all of you. On my clients, and myself I use eyeshadows with a stiff, angled eyeliner brush. Brow powders are a good option, but they are, in fact, eyeshadows repackaged. If you have eyeshadows in the general shade of your eyebrows you can use them, even combine different colors to get the perfect look. I find pencils are too waxy, and artificial looking. If you have brows that are sparse, just use the powder/eyeshadow to fill in, and and define them where needed. If your brows are a bit bushier than you would like, and you are unable to thin them, try using a clear mascara (lots of companies make them) to define and shape them. Sweep the mascara on your brow using upward, and outward strokes. This will serve to get the brow under control, and bring it in to a more desirable shape. You can also use tinted brow gels (MAC Brow Set is a favorite of mine) to define them. These are basically tinted mascaras, and come in a variety of colors. If you have regular mascara that matches your brow shade, go ahead and use that.

This post was edited by Amanda Richards at December 31, 2011 3:16 PM GMT