The Connection

• 157 posts
    January 16, 2010 1:46 AM GMT
    Hi Rae

I write rarely and even then badly, but I write what I feel at the time. This is one of my poems that I have posted on "thestarlitecafe.com" site.

The Connection

There are lots of connections
    people use them all the time
    to get that better job
    and to earn another dime

We connect with people
    talk sports or the arts
    based on interests common
    soon a friendship starts

We all have acquaintances,
    buddies and pals abound
    but bonds of the heart
    these are few to be found

The connection of the heart
    goes far beyond the friendship bond
    to a place of wonder
    like the touch of a magic wand

It could start with a smile,
    a laugh, a touch or a gaze
    but you know in an instant
    they're the one for the rest of your days

You know before they talk
    what they are going to say
    and ending one another's sentences
    becomes the rule of the day

Their feelings and emotions
    you know from afar
    and when you speak of it
    neither think it bazaar

Not a casual affair
    this is more than affection
    even love doesn't cover
    this ultimate soulmate connection

Jeri Elaine

• 157 posts
    January 17, 2010 5:58 PM GMT
    Rae and Melody

Thank you both for your comments. I can't seem to write poetry unless I my emotions are either at the crest or in the deepest valley. It is at those times when the need to get something out becomes strong enough to force my hand to write. So Rae this is a first draft and the only draft, because once I get things out I no longer seem to have the desire or patience to deal with it. Looking at my 'collection' (and I use that term very loosely) I guess that my life must be pretty stable or mundane most of the time because I don't write much.

I'll probably post more of my collection later. who knows

Again thank you for your comments!

Hugs Jeri
    • 734 posts
    January 16, 2010 3:15 AM GMT
    Jeri, thank you so much for posting your work. I enjoyed it and the concept behind it. Connections are everywhere and often either taken for granted or overlooked.
    You may write rarely but you don't write 'badly'. The most important thing is that you 'write what you feel at the time' I can equate to that so well!
    In my sticky to this forum I suggested various codes to let us know what you wanted. Nothing gives you a full critique.
    I won't do that to you hunni.
    There are flaws in your work - but thats not a bad thing. They are easily remedied.
    I am happy to give you advice in open forum - your choice, it allows others to learn at the same time, or through email. Or not at all, of course.
    To me, this is an excellent first draft that can be tidied up in an instant - accepting we both speak a different variation of the same language!
    What you want is up to you, but I wouldn't say you have a rare talent, you have a raw one.
    Keep it up.
    Rae. x
    • 1017 posts
    January 17, 2010 1:11 AM GMT
    Hi Jeri,

Always enjoy a love poem. Obviously a personal statement but it did evoke memories of loves lost in my own life.

Best,
    Melody