Eyeliner

Tags : None
  • Hi Ladies
    I'm back again looking for advice. I have trouble applying liquid eyeliner. I always seem to apply it to thick and it usually looks terrible. I've tried holding the applicator at different angles and tried putting less on but I still can't get the hold of it. Do you girls have any secrets on how to apply and what you might feel is the best liquid liner? I am currently using Eye Defining Liquid Liner from Clinique. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and Hugs.... Samantha
      January 18, 2010 4:00 PM GMT
  • i'm hopeless with a paintbrush, especially a tiny one. i just use a pencil.
    xx
      January 18, 2010 4:21 PM GMT
  • I suppose you're using that small, short little brush that came with your eyeliner kit. You might consider trying a brush used for watercolors - watercolor brushes are longer, and if you hold them near the end of the brush, you can see your target area better. When you use a small brush, your hands get in the way and create shadows making it difficult to see what you're doing.

Try closing the eye your working on and gently hold the lashes down with your fingertip when you apply the liner. Get the liner as close to the base of the lash as possible. You can also vary the width of the line - perhaps making it a bit wider at the outer edge of the lid - but those would be personal choices that you could experiment with.

You can line the entire length of the lid to the inner corner, or use liner only where there is lash - it depends on the look you're trying to achieve. After you get the hang of it and you can place the product where you intended - It's fun to experiment - subtle variations can have dramatic effects.

Liquid liner is a bit too harsh for the lower lash, you want to use a pencil and lightly smudge the liner to eliminate a hard edge.

Liquid eyeliner is normally used for dramatic effect. For casual or daytime wear, a soft pencil is possibly more appropriate.

The product you're using is probably as good as any others.

So, try a longer brush.

Hope it helps,
    Jennifer;
      January 18, 2010 4:53 PM GMT
  • Thanks Jennifer.
    I will try using a longer brush. I will pick one up tonight and play around with it. I usually line the entire upper lid and slightly beyond, but I think I will try some different looks as you suggest.
    Hugs.. Samantha
      January 18, 2010 5:02 PM GMT
  • Hey Samantha...
    You might try starting on the outer edges first as opposed to the inner because if you apply too thickly initially, you'll be messed up right from the start! By the time you reach the inner edges, your hand is steadier and you have developed the "feel" of the tip...plus, if you need to wipe off mistakes, and you began on the outer edge, it kinda gives you a nice shadow out there! (smile)
    I too just use a light coating of shadow on the lower lashes, smudge it in, and finish up with a pencil along the outer half if necessary...
    Good luck!
    Traci
    <p>Traci</p>
      January 18, 2010 6:18 PM GMT
  • Also, make sure the brush has a nice pointed tip. Try developing a feel for the brush by twirling it slowly as you draw your line - this will allow the product to flow out of the brush hairs uniformly and help you maintain the same line width...conversely, if you want to make a portion of the line thicker, stop twirling - let the point flatten out a bit and apply slightly more pressure. Try to shape the line in one smooth stroke if you can - and then go back and touch-up if needed. That works better than trying to draw the line wider with another stroke.

Personally, I start from the inside and work out - but each to their own as long as the job gets done to your satisfaction.

You can also try practicing line control on the back of your hand, or if it's too hairy, try practicing on the outside of your thumb a few times. After I've applied the product to my brush, I touch the tip of the brush to the back of my hand and twirl forming a nice point and to remove any excess product before applying to the eye. If you suspect your liner is too old, but it's an emergency and you've got to wear it anyway, at least scrape the surface off to remove any impurities

That liner compact will last a lifetime or two, but you might want to replace it after 2 years to avoid eye infections.

Have fun with it - if you make a mistake, wipe off w/ a damp q-tip and try, try again.
    You'll get the hang of it!
    Jennifer
      January 18, 2010 7:11 PM GMT
  • Samantha,
    I like to use the L'Oreal Lineur Intense Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner, and like Jen, I start at the inner eye but just where the lash starts and move the line to the outside corner, but then I wing the line out farther.
    http://www.amazon.com/LOr[...]1126Z82

To touch up, and finish the inside corner I like a fine line so I use some artist spotter brushes, # 000 or 5/0or 10/0 and 4/0...
    http://betterlite.com/cat[...]de=list

These will give a fine line with nice control. I take the brush from the liner and do the line I want to be the thickest. Then put some of the product on the Lineur Intense brush and apply some liner onto the artist brushes and touch up or finish at will. Also, I use a magnifying mirror when I do this, it gets things up close and personal. I have never got used to the felt point tips, and never have I liked the results.
    Like everyone else, usually I use a pencil on the bottom lid, and smudge, Sometimes I need a more dramatic look so, again I use artist brushes, but a little bigger and then wet them a little and dab them into a powder eye shadow. I use Mac, smash box or bar minerals or similar and put some powder in the eye shadow lid, then dab brush into it, gives more control so I can control the effect. Or if it's the harder type of powder just drag the brush over it, tap off excess then apply.
    Hope this helps.......Tammy
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      January 19, 2010 6:28 AM GMT
  • Thanks all.
    Last night I picked up a brush with the help of a great girl at Sephora at my local mall. I tried all the suggestions given to me by you wonderful girls, inside working out, outside working in. I'm not sure which I found easiest. I can say that my results were much better than before but i still need practice. Maybe later today but I am having a great time trying different ways with different looks and I plan on checking out the sites mentioned above for more info.
    Thanks again girls. Hugs.... Samantha
      January 19, 2010 12:57 PM GMT
  • Samantha,
    Another new product that you might want to try is, Eye Studio™ Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner by Maybelline, costs about 8-9 dollars U.S. You can catch a deal when they have buy one get one free or any other Maybelline eye product of similar value. I tried it Sat nite, wonderful results, smooth application, and will not smudge. I also tried it on the lower eye lid, and worked great, no irritation, but that depends on the person.
    It works much better than Smash box or Bobby Brown eye gel, and not as expensive.
    http://www.maybelline.com[...]ner.htm

Tammy
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      February 25, 2010 5:58 AM GMT