A new experience

• February 4, 2010 4:48 PM GMT
    Hi all
    I had a new experience yesterday. I know this isn't much but to me it was something I will remember. While I was out I thought I would stop at one of my favorite stores in the area and look around. I was not dressed as Samantha and was not planning to do any shopping. I was looking at a chemise which I had told the sales woman was for my wife and she would love it.I To my surprise she answered back that she was sure I would look good in it and love it. I was taken totally off guard and I fumbled my next words.I had shopped here before and always had the feeling that she new that I dressed as a woman but I never suspected she would say anything Since it was out in the open and I was starting to feel comfortable about it I figured i would buy the bras that i needed. She asked what size i wear and when i answered I'm not sure she brought me to the fitting room and measured me. She also suggested what I might like in the type of bra I was wearing. Of course i ended up buying a couple. I was so surprised by this and it felt so nice to be treated like that. When I was leaving she told me to come back anytime and she would be glad to help me. I know this isn't much for a lot of you but for this girl that is just starting to get out it was really a nice experience.
    Hugs... Samantha
    • 105 posts
    February 4, 2010 6:05 PM GMT
    Hello Samantha

It sounds to me as if you've found a treasure of a shop assistant (and shop) - if there's one commodity we really can never have too much of, it's acceptance.

Delighted that you had such a satisfying experience

Hugs,

Judith
  • February 4, 2010 6:40 PM GMT
    That's wonderful. I'm always happy and sometimes surprised at how many supportive people are out there when we give them a chance.

Jennifer
    • 157 posts
    February 4, 2010 10:36 PM GMT
    Samantha

What a wonderful experience! I am sure at that first instant it was a shock, but I'm happy it all worked out. Now you have an understanding saleswoman as an ally.

Hugs and Cheers

Jeri
  • February 4, 2010 11:06 PM GMT
    That is a great experience!!! I have 3-4 stores that treat me in a similar manner.

I love going to these stores and shopping.

It really boosts your confidence and is a great feeling, even if I don't end up spending much.

Hugz,
    MIchelleLynn
    • 36 posts
    February 5, 2010 1:48 AM GMT
    I am so glad for you Samantha
  • February 5, 2010 11:25 AM GMT
    Samantha,
    It'll be great not to have to go through all the "it's for my wife" malarkey any more.
    You've obviously found a sales assistant who is really on the ball.
    And she in turn has found a good customer.
    And more sales!
    • 308 posts
    February 6, 2010 5:35 AM GMT
    Samantha,
    Many years ago when the social acceptance was different, I would shop around a special day, Xmas, Valentines day etc. I was buying a few things and when the cashier rang them up she looked at me and I said "it was a gift for my wife"......to my surprise she said, "yea, yea, that's what they all say"
    It"s so gratifying to have seen how far we have come, we all help, everyday with that acceptance.
    Tammy
    • 1017 posts
    February 4, 2010 8:24 PM GMT
    Hi Samantha,

Since you are obviously cool with it, this is great. Don't remember ever having a salesperson actually remark that the item I was purchasing was for me. But I suspect many of them knew, I guess, "Do you have those pumps in size 12W?" is sort of a giveaway...

Best,
    Melody
    • 734 posts
    February 4, 2010 11:55 PM GMT
    That's good to read, Samantha, clearly somewhere you'll be shopping again and again. And again!
    Years ago, when I looked a little different to how I do today, I was buying some new underwear and had the opposite reaction. As it was around Christmas time, the assistant presumed I was buying a gift. She asked if I was sure the size was right. I'm sure she thought she was being helpfull. I just looked at her, smiled and said " Hunni, I know what size knickers I wear!" I couldn't resist it and her spluttering was a joy.
    Shopping can be a funny thing...
    Rae x
    • 2017 posts
    February 5, 2010 12:33 PM GMT
    This obviously felt very good for you, but you'll find that most people will react that way, they really aren't bothered if you are transgendered in any way. I bet you go back there again soon!!

What might be nice, is to inform her manager about how well you have been treated, as that not only makes the salesperson feel appreciated, but she is more likely to repeat her actions to other customers. (Not that she probably wouldn't already). Both you and the store benefit from good friendly service after all.

Nikki