What is it about Amanda's

• 1912 posts
    February 13, 2010 5:49 PM GMT
    Katie, Katie, Katie, Katie. This one sure has your skin crawling. First off for those who don't know what this is about and missed Katie's new article or should I say editorial, here is the link: http://gendersociety.com/[...]2836273

Katie you are a business person and you have gone to great lengths trying new concepts to increase the membership here at TW. Therefore you should already know the answer in regards to the missing "T". For that matter you stated it in your latest article about Amanda's. "It’s about the here and now and her time has come and gone." Amanda Simpson is not a story anymore because she chose not to be a story, she chose instead to be the professional that she is and expected to be judged on that alone, which no one could question her qualifications. She is where she is by setting an example, not by selling her TG status. I have personally experienced the same thing when other business owners in my field wondered how my circumstances might effect my business. In less than a year it became old news. And do you know why? Because right in front of them, in flesh and blood, the image they saw blew away the crazy stereotypes they had imagined.

You are asking the BBC to portray us in the proper light. Then I guess it needs to be asked, "What is the proper light?" Not everyone is like Amanda Simpson, or like me, or like you. However there are people like the ones you see on Jerry Springer. Are you saying they are not real, that they should not be portrayed as they are? Amanda Simpson made the news and that is no different than some clown making it on Jerry Springer. They both got their air time. Who do you want to believe? The reality is both stories are right. You are choosing to judge the BBC on the stories you don't like. I happened to watch a very interesting BBC America show called "Transvestite Wives" which I thought did a very good portrayal of TGs. So good stuff is out there, but so is the bad and you cannot deny it exists.

Sexual orientation is a this or that thing. Transgender, the "T", is far more complex and Amanda Rice recognized that. Maybe the title of the survery was wrong, but leaving us out was not.

Katie, I love you to death for all the good you do for the transgender community. I am only expressing my opinion on this issue.

Love,
    Marsha

• February 13, 2010 8:30 PM GMT
    Surely, Katie is also entitled to her opinion or don't you think Europeans are entitled to one?

Love you all

huggles

Becca
    • 1912 posts
    February 13, 2010 8:41 PM GMT
    And?

But it is nice of you to crawl out of your hole to attack me as usual. Here is a link to the rest of the story you missed while you had your head buried in the sand. Silly old BBC upsets trannies

Hugs always,
    Marsha
  • February 13, 2010 8:44 PM GMT
    I've already read it all, but couldn't be bothered to make a comment after reading your usual bile

Huggles

Becca
    • 1912 posts
    February 13, 2010 8:55 PM GMT
    I believe I was very clear at the end how much I appreciate Katie and all she does as well as I was only expressing MY opinion on the issue. No where did I insinuate that nobody else had a valid opinion. I clearly posted my comment in an environment that is wide open to others to express their opinions. Many gals here are not aware of the "Articles" section of TW and all I did was bring it to everyone's attention and voiced my opinion. What more can be asked?
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • February 13, 2010 8:59 PM GMT
    You just wouldn't understand, so I'll not bother explaining.

Huggles

Becca

• 1912 posts
    February 15, 2010 3:18 AM GMT
    Katie, thanks for replying to this thread. I have met some amazing "T" people while on my own journey; a number of doctors, pastors, carpenters, cabinet makers, a bar tender, IT person, city manager and others. The single thing they each have in common is they want to just live their lives. Not everyone feels it is their place to be an activist and I feel that needs to be respected. You call it a missed opportunity but I don't think so. I have been harping all along that society doesn't want to be overwhelmed with LGBT stuff, and I believe just the right amount came out about Amanda Simpson. News coverage showed who she was, what she is, and how well qualified she is. That is all the public really saw, just good stuff. I believe if she was paraded around for the media it would have cheapened her appointment and made her a bigger target for the hate groups which would have received equal if not more media coverage. You, I, and probably most the gals here at TW are interested in media presentations of T gals, I just don't think you can expect the same interest from the general population.

I know the Jerry Springer gals exist because I know one. And even with all the Jerry Springer nonsense she is a sweet person, so I don't want to convey that these people are necessarily bad. Sadly I do know one of the ones you described in your last paragraph, a drug addict that is in pretty bad shape, but I will still call her a friend because I do care about all the gals that do come into my life.

I think the difference between now and 20 years ago is that society can now see us. I mean the TG community as a whole. Personally I see that as our best opportunity to educate society about the good people you and I know we are. We need to be respectful of the opportunity that we now have and not abuse it as I believe some do, ie. Jerry Springer girls. I believe we need to teach by example. It is hard to deny flesh and blood.

We have different approaches for educating society on the good people TGs really are. It will take some of each to accomplish our mutual goal. Thanks again for being part of this thread and for giving us this forum to better our TG community.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• February 15, 2010 10:28 AM GMT
    AnnMarie,

Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

Just my opinion, love you all so much

Becca
    • 2068 posts
    February 14, 2010 11:15 PM GMT

Rebecca, its YOU that are spouting the bile & NOT Marsha. She's entitled to her opinion without the likes of you bad-mouthing her. You never have anything good to say about anyone.....so why say anythin at all!

Anna-Marie
    • 2127 posts
    February 15, 2010 2:21 AM GMT
    Come on girls, play nice! Have they been putting something in the water again?

I admit that I was miffed because Amanda Simpson refused my request for an interview but it was more than that. It was the fact that she was making history and hardly a soul knew anything about it. When something huge that is good for us happens in our community, we need the world to know. That was an opportunity missed.

And yes, the people who appeared on Springer were real people (or were they?) but the fact is that whenever a tranny person appears on TV in the news or on a reality show, they are invariably portrayed as bad in some way. Now if you honestly believe that all TG people are bad by default, then I will shut up and go away.

However, I don't think that. I know that the vast majority of TG people are lovely, sincere, wonderful human beings. I'm not suggesting that TV starts going the other way entirely but it should depict TG people as they are and not usually as monsters, perverts, drug addicts, etc.

That's all. It's not much to ask.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    February 15, 2010 10:38 AM GMT
    Rebecca, please! We're trying to have a vaguely intelligent conversation here. Can we keep the petty sniping out of it. Thanks.

And Anna Marie, please don't reply to that last post. That will just invite a reply and before we know it we'll be starting world war three.

Thank you all again for your restraint.

Hugs, Katie x