Now her this

• 1195 posts
    March 11, 2010 3:10 PM GMT
    Here in the US of A we're getting a form from the Census Bureau next week. Please fill it out and send it back - other wise you'll have a Census taker at your door - probable waking you up from your afternoon nap
    Just in case you need to be reminded, the Census is required by the Constitution and is to be taken ever 10 years. That's to deteremine where the population is located and assign the number of representatives proportionally. Additionally, it allows the federal government to allowcate funds proportionally. Here in Texas our governor claims he doesn't want any federal money - bull. Allstates receive federal money for highways, education, medicare etc. so if you want your state to receive its proper share do the right thing and send the census information back.
    I thought it interesting that this provision was written into the original draft of the constitution and was not an amendment. Of course at that time someone could go out and count heads. Sorry to say but they didn't count women, children or slaves - just gentry. My we've come a long way. baby.
  • March 11, 2010 3:30 PM GMT
    I've always had such fun filling in my (UK) census form. It's usually so full of threats "You must fill in and return on the specified date or you shall be regarded as breaking the law" stuff like that!
    • 1912 posts
    March 11, 2010 4:18 PM GMT
    I also heard that it will include gays and lesbians, but as always, the media made no mention whether it would include transgender. I'm looking forward to it this year and if given the opportunity I will definitely mark transgendered. I think the last one had either a short form or some received the long form with additional requested information. You can count on me to be counted, lol.
    Hugs,
    Marsha

• 1195 posts
    March 12, 2010 5:08 PM GMT
    Janis
    An acquaintance of mine is currently working for the Census Bureau. He told me "no threats" but they'll keep knocking on your door until they get you counted. Sounds like a different approach but I'm sure there is a deadline for them to quit knocking.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1195 posts
    March 16, 2010 2:42 PM GMT
    Well, I guess you could either check both or write in your comments.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1912 posts
    March 17, 2010 7:00 PM GMT
    Although the census does not outright ask if you are LGBT, it does ask for person 2-6 how they are related to person 1. One of the available answers is unmarried partner. Although this would not give an accurate count of LGBT, it could be used to identify how many same sex partnerships exist.

By the way, don't rush to fill this in and get it in the mail. The count is for April 1, 2010, should someone in your household move out or die between now and then you would technically be lying and the census gestapo might come knocking on your door, lol.

Hugs,
    Marsha

p.s., in those heavy democrat areas such as Chicago where even the dead like to vote more than once, are they suppose to fill in their a.k.a. names?
    • 1195 posts
    March 17, 2010 10:08 PM GMT
    Nikki -

the census used to ask about indoor plumbing - such as "do you have indoor toilets?" Now they just want to know where you live, with whome but thank goodness now why.

Marsha - an investigation into my relations - namely my mother's father revealed that he lied. He was a New Yorker. Also they only counted the dead for election purposes. he he

Mere - I was involved in a church census ( many years ago). I got strange reactions. Talked to quite a few through doors. Darn they didn't even allow me to get my foot in the door. Guess I was just lucky.

hugs
    Gracie

Happy St. Pat's Day
    • 1017 posts
    March 16, 2010 12:54 PM GMT
    Hi Mary Grace,

My Census form came in the mail last night.

The gender question is limited to just Male or Female, and you can't check both...

Best,
    Melody
    • 2017 posts
    March 17, 2010 8:25 AM GMT
    The UK's census changes each time and has got way too personal now. They are apparantly asking on the next one questions such as who regularly stays over at your house!! It's less a census than big brother keeping an ever closer watch on you, all for your own good of course!!!

Nikki
    • 2463 posts
    March 17, 2010 7:45 PM GMT
    I worked for the last census and had more than one door slammed in my face. I could tell quite a few stories about how people reacted to me. It was actually fun and paid well. Although some were jerks, I had the chance to talk to a lot of very nice people.