Feedback Appreciated

Tags : None
  • Hi

I'm a bit nervous about posting this and I hope its the right place to do it but......seeing as you're reading stuff in this forum:

I've just started my first site and I would really appreciate some feedback/constructive criticism. Not such much on presentation/design (its basic yahoo and is really a first draft)but on the content & writing - is it a good read or is it crap! I would stress that is only my own personal take on things not a manifesto or theory.

So if you fancy a read please visit:

www.geocities.com/purplebanshee2003

follow the yellow links and p'raps let me have your thoughts: be kind tho' its the first time i ever put any of my writing out there. Thank you

Take Care
    Purple
    x
      January 12, 2004 12:03 AM GMT
  • Nice pix. Site comes across as psychedelic and intense. Do you like your visitors or not really?

Being a tranny is a minority interest in a hostile world. You need all the friends you can get.
      January 12, 2004 12:18 AM GMT
  • Purple, I moved this topic from the "Tranny Psychology" forum to the "All About Us" forum.
      January 12, 2004 2:43 AM GMT
  • Regarding the website's content, it could be a little friendlier, or at least less confrontational (you might not want to say "f*** off" on your home page, for example LOL). Chances are, you won't have to worry about would-be trouble-makers who visit your site actually being able to bother you, so there's no need to try to run them off like that. They won't care what you say, anyway, but legitimate visitors who might actually care about what you have to say about yourself will probably be turned off by that type of statement. However, you might achieve your intended goal by politely stating that there is no adult content (or at least no adult images) on you website, and/or that it's safe for visitors of all ages (assuming you decide to clean up the language a bit).

Also, the text could have more of a flow to it and not be quite as disjointed. Someone who knows you very well might get something out of reading your random thoughts, but strangers who visit your site might consider the text as a lot of rambling and leave your site. I think I see what your intention was with "Scattershot Thoughts," but while a random thought, stream of consciousness thing sounds artistic, it rarely translates well to the Internet. The fact that you set this up as a website rather than just keeping it on your computer implies that you do want others to be able to follow it, so you might want to make it easier to follow (for those people who don't happen to be you). I'm not saying it has to read like a boring documentary, but a little formality wouldn't hurt.

You have a link called "Tranny Shop" that links to a retail site. It might be a good idea to state whether you are involved with that particular shop, or you just list it as a resource.

I know you asked for comments on content rather than presentation/design, but this involves a bit of both. You might want to consider dropping the two-tone text and the neon text colors, as well as the random paragraph placements. To use your phrase, it's "too incongruous." I know that fits with your whole concept (assuming I get it), but it makes for a very tedious read, regardless of what you have to say. I think readers will be pushed away rather than pulled in by that format. Perhaps you could have one page set up that way, as an example of what goes on inside your head, illustrating the chaos and/or contradictions in your thoughts, feelings, and perceptions as a tranny. I just wouldn't do the whole website that way, assuming you want others to read it.

Whether you keep the site as an "all about me" sort of thing (like a blog), or start to include a lot of general TG/TS/TV/CD issues and/or resources, just remember to keep the site functional. It can be fancy or simple, but it should always be easy to navigate, and visitors should have a good idea as to why you created the site and why you want them to care.

With this website, you are introducing yourself to the world, so be clear about the way you present yourself to your intended audience. Do you want other trannies (strangers) who find this site to consider you a potential on-line friend? Do you want non-trannies to gain some understanding about trannies/you and what makes trannies/you tick? Do you want to have this website available as a possible resource for friends and/or family members to whom you reveal yourself ("I explain myself on my website, so feel free to go there and read...")?

I think you've got some good material there to get things started, but it needs some organization if you want others to get the significance of the content. Don't stop the flow of imagination, just structure it enough so that it can be followed by someone who knows absolutely nothing about you (or trannies in general, depending on your intentions). If I've misunderstood your site and its purpose, I apologize.

By the way, I love New Model Army. I remember when the "Thunder and Consolation" CD first came out (1989), and I was so glad it included "White Coats" (my favorite NMA song - which wasn't available on CD until then) as a bonus track. That whole CD is great, though. It's been a while, so I'll have to get it out and listen to it now.
      January 12, 2004 3:42 AM GMT
    Just looked at the site which contains a lot of written information but which is a little too hard to read due to choice of colouring. As it is a personal site I too have no problem with the language but it is not clear from the site what you are trying to achieve.

There are an awful lot of sites out there, many of which use set styles and formats, mine is probably one of them, so yours wins because it is different in many respects. It does not necessarily follow the rules. In your face is ok if it hits the spot and achieves what it is supposed to. The question to ask yourself is does it do what I want it to.

Most people putting up a site, be it tranny or not, do so because they want other people to look at it and keep coming back for more. When designing a site you need to keep this in mind. People visiting need to know what to do to navigate. Not everyone on the net speaks English or can read English. Using buttons as well as text is helpful to those people.

However I must applaud you for being so forthright and up front in providing information on the web. Keep on improving.
    Hugs & Kisses, Tina Meet me at http://www.tinas-place.co.uk
      January 12, 2004 7:28 PM GMT
  • Hi,

thanks to everyone for your comments, they truly are appreciated xxx.

To answer a couple of points: the style is I guess an homage to punk/new wave fanzines of the uk in late 70's & early 80's but I can see I've overdone it! Confrontational - maybe? I hadn't seen it that way. Spiky - yes, Direct - yes, but confrontational,I think it's both good and bad but on balance my initial response probably is I think it's a good thing and considering that recent news has given us an Italin TV beaten to pulp within an inch of her life and a young english TS pushed to drink, drugs and death by the hatred and prejudice of her neighbours perhaps theres a place for sharpening the nails a bit, maybe we need to find a Boudicea!!! But if its offputing or over the top p'raps I better get a sharper Editors Power Suit!

As to who I'm trying to get to view the site, I'm not sure to be honest, other tv's looking for a familiar story, curious passer's by, people looking to understand and also to save my breath trying to explain myself to people - yeah all of those but my main point in doing the site is to try and develop my writing voice really.

The content will expand over time and will be both blog and resource so the points about structuring and order are gratefully received and i'll work on it - a useful counterpoint to my chaotic nature!

Stevie - another T girl NMA fan????? Superb!!! Check out the Strange Brotherhood album (esp: track called No Pain - it's awesome)

Ricka - I luv that BG too xxx. However I have no idea what you are talking about re:wysiwyg ???? I'm a total virgin about web site publishing, the site was done on the free Yahoo pagebuilder thing !

Thanks again to everyone

Take care
    Purple
    x
      January 13, 2004 12:55 AM GMT
  •   January 13, 2004 5:37 PM GMT
  • I have Dreamweaver, and it's probably the best program out there for web designing (especially if you also have the other programs in the Studio MX package from Marcomedia). However, I normally just use Notepad (comes with Microsoft Windows) and do my own HTML code. Of course, now it's XHTML. Things are always changing.
      January 14, 2004 8:28 PM GMT
  • Hiya' All,

Been looking for a new brain challenge: think I just been given it - gonna turn into a techy nerd xxx.

In the meantime I'll still be playing about with the geocities site.

Take Care
    Purple
    x
      January 14, 2004 11:35 PM GMT
  • Hey, years ago, I used Geocities, too. There's nothing wrong with that, to get you started.
      January 16, 2004 10:21 PM GMT
  • Hi

Given the site a bit of a revamp following the comments above. Also added a couple of bits and even (gasp!) a bit of organisation.

Still building, tinkering and generall mesing about with it but I think it's on the right track. Again any feedback is appreciated.

And yeah - u lot are right, already want to upgrade!

Take Care
    Purple
    x
      February 5, 2004 7:56 PM GMT
  • I have Dreamweaver too but haven't had time to build anything yet. Just you wait. I'm going to be online, and my pix, and my story, and my friends, and...

Catherine "Anorak" Wells
      February 6, 2004 12:24 AM GMT
  • Catherine.....

Don't Do it!!!!!

It sucks out your brain and takes over your mind !!!!!!

Take care
    Purple
    x
      February 6, 2004 10:47 PM GMT