Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Do you think the Bra world has gone nuts

Do you think the Bra world has gone nuts

Tags : None
  • Hi all.
    Have you noticed how the world of underwear has gone a bit over the top? i mean that in the way that Bra,s are getting a bit impracticle! ok they look nice and sexy but you realy have to think why you need the bra! there are some beautiful colours but myself i wear a lot of light colours mainly white tops or white with coloured parts in the summer and wearing a deep red or blue ect under a white top i may aswell not put a top on as my bra would be so visable to all , its not just the colours it is also the large frills and bows that are totaly impracticle for everyday wear .
    I have been to 3 different shops this week and when i find a nice bra my size is not there ,Why? i asked one assistant and her reply was as soon as we get them they go' i then said well you have every size in the others and her reply was "they sell slower" , all i want is nice underwear to do the job not to go around like i am ready to go to the bedroom for a bit . Please don,t suggest mail order i like to see and feel what i am buying and know if its a rubbish fit i can take it back, not only that i am not realy looking for suggestions of places to shop i am just pointing out an observation. Anyone who has Yahoo as a home page will see the almost permanant add for m&s ones will see what i mean .
    All the best Julia .
      June 10, 2010 10:32 AM BST
  • 2 2627
    I think most are impractical for everyday wear. Go to any online site that sells them & the number of different looks they give something that has one purpose is crazy. I've looked at http://onehanesplace.com to get an idea of what I might want. Looking at them you can see that most will not be comfortable to wear.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      June 10, 2010 11:39 AM BST
  • I was looking through a Victoria's Secret catalog while waiting to have my nails done a couple days ago. I came across a good looking bra that offered lots of lift and cleavage. Actually it says it adds 2 cup sizes. Sounds good but for $53 it isn't an everyday bra. But back to colors, what grabbed my attention on this bra was the vast assortment of colors and patterns available. Like you Julia, the first thing I did was scan through the colors offered looking for a nude bra that could be worn under any color. I found it hiding in the mix. You would think it would have been displayed where it would be easy to find. I'm kind of thinking colors are used to draw your attention to the product because in a mix of white and nude nothing stands out. Also by having a mix of colors might just be an effort to sell you more than one so you will have a color to go with each outfit. Definitely a marketing ploy.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      June 10, 2010 12:52 PM BST
  • Julie, i agree with what you are saying about the colours, I have some very nice ones but I can't wear them in summer very often. For summer use, I tend to buy 't-shirt bras' which are usually white, skin toned, or pastel colours and as the name suggests, they are smooth and so can be worn under a t-shirt or similar very nicely and without all the lumps and bumps caused by the additional trimmings.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      June 10, 2010 4:40 PM BST
  • Every year during the sales, my SO buys her utility bras. Ones she knows are comfy and do the job. Then she occasionally buys special ones. A sensible balance, I think.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      June 16, 2010 5:19 AM BST
  • Manufacturers seem to go to incredible lengths in the design of something which is mostly covered up.
    Like most other women I know I usually just wear very plain cotton bras and knickers, and I have a few elaborate sets for more formal occasions. Sometimes it's nice to get glammed up underneath as well as on top.
      June 16, 2010 5:40 AM BST
  • I've noticed more in the last year or so, that alot of women wear black and some colored or printed bras under white or light colored tops.
    I for one love it, but i wonder what women are actually thinking when they show off their bras like that.
    I mean they do everything they can not to have panty lines, ( I miss them) but they show off their bras.
      June 17, 2010 3:00 AM BST
  • Janis:

I heard a talk at a business conference once by someone from Victoria's Secret. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but he said that the typical bra they sold had something like 27 components from something on the order of 18 countries. No wonder they're so pricey!

Now if I could just find that magic push up bra that could make something out of so little.

Emily
      June 17, 2010 7:58 PM BST
    Lisa
    Wearing a black bra under a white blouse is a teenagers trick. It say "look at me - I have tits" to the boys and "look at mine" to the girls who don't have any.
    The school district soon put a stop to the practice.
    - as usual some parents complained - stupidity breeds, you know?

hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      June 18, 2010 7:00 PM BST
  • Hi GS Sisters,

I too have several bras from the Wonder Bra to a simple very thin Tshirt bra and find the Tshirt bra. The most comfortable. Funny how my preferences changed once I started wearing them daily. I ended up getting the same bra in black, nude and white so I can stay away from that teenager trick and blend in.

As for cost? Ouch it hurts almost as much as a poor fitting bra.

Hugs,
    MichelleLynn
      June 20, 2010 6:04 AM BST
  • It very well may be a teenager's trick, but I've seen many women wearing black bras too. Even on TV, sitcoms, dramas, to even Larry King show and other talk shows.
      June 24, 2010 10:01 PM BST
  • Aw,come on girls! All the fancy stuff is for those occasions when you expect, assuming you've played your cards right, that someone else will be undressing you...........................I think it's supposed to keep their interest on the boil...............................................

Lynn H.
    "It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      July 4, 2010 6:10 PM BST
  • Julia,
    I agree that the "Bra World" has gone crazy - but it is only in response to the demand from the public.
    Being rather small breasted, I don't have a great "technical need" for a well designed bra and depending on the clothing I wear, I often do not use a bra. I choose my clothes carefully and prefer to add a tiny bit of padding if required - depending on the style. When I do wear a bra, I do not wish it to show through the fabric like some young girls do - but I have no problem wearing various colors and styles of bra if they accentuate and enhance the outfit...especially the upper part at the top of the dress.
    P.S. sometimes bras come in handy when your boobs are having "Growing Pains"

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"
    <p>Doanna Highland</p>
      July 5, 2010 4:31 AM BST
  • This came in my e-mail this morning. Even if I had the body to wear it, I can't imagine what sort of clothes I'd wear over it.

http://ebm.cheetahmail.co[...]hoo.com

I go for "full coverage" ones that will hold forms in place. White, black, taupe or pastels - depends what I wearing on top. Also like the "long line" styles - anything that helps give me the illusion of a waist.

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      July 5, 2010 6:51 PM BST
  • Little Miss Mercury's had a bra fitting or two in her day. She's also pretty fond of the Hanes/Playtex line...it's hard enough to find a 40C that doesn't have a wire and extra padding. (I'm padded enough with the girls in.) All I really want is something to hold my boobs in place.

As for color, materials, etc.--I have a few "nice" bras but go for the same kinds of bras any genetic girl does: simple, cotton, easily washed, easily worn, and not $53 wasted on a bra some guy is gonna try and rip off my body after an evening of close dancing. Don't laugh too hard, luvs. I had that happen once when I was living in Evansville. A $40 bra (and $25 matching panties) got ripped through like the delicate lace they were made out of. If he hadn't been so...good, shall we say...in certain things I'd have really been an angry little b*tch about it.

luv' n hugs,

Mina
    Living as the woman I am!
      July 8, 2010 11:29 PM BST