What have you missed out on?

• 129 posts
    June 12, 2010 9:27 PM BST
    Hi all.
    What have you missed out on in life being TG ?.
    In my case i would have to say my education, as i was born a catholic it did not take long for me to be forced out of school , i will not go into all the crap i was put though in detail but all i learned to do was read and write in primary school .When i went up to what was then secondary modern it did not take long for the teachers to realise i was different to boys , the real crunch came when a blackboard rubber was hurled at me by my woodwork teacher , as he threw it he shouted shut up boy! i ducked and he missed but i then picked it up and threw it straight back shouting i am not a boy i am a girl!!!!! and walked out , the headmaster caught me and draged me back and my wrists were put in a vice . What came next was to i suppose change my whole life as after the rest of the class went home i was left in a vice with a lunatic woodwork teacher for company what followed was me being vertualy raped it was only the fact he could not enter me it was not a full rape .
    I only returned to school to make the teachers lives a missary , i was in school but they did not know i was as i found places that others did not know existed , my favourite place was the roof space as i could look down on things that were going on below without anyone knowing i could even get into the class when it was empty and locked then get back in the roof , if your thinking what use was that well i drove the woodwork teacher round the bend by completly altering the classroom after it was locked up and was in the roof to watch him enter the class in the morning , i tied fishing line to objects and when his back was turned i would pull the line and cut it so it seemed to him it was ghosts , i drove him to thinking he was being haunted and he left the school a few weeks later .
    My school life was over at 11 years old i was then tought everything i know on a piece of waste land by myself , i was hungry to learn but to this day that has been the biggest thing i lost for being born a catholic and being transexual, "a basic education" .
    So much for religion! .

I wonder how being you has effected you .
    Love to all Julia x.
    • 129 posts
    June 14, 2010 9:32 PM BST
    Hi Nikki.
    It may sound strange but after all the pain i have been through i too am glad i was born TS , i actualy think if i had been born GG my life would have been boring as i have cramed so much in the 52 years i have had on this earth i realy should be 427 years old . I have done ok without an education and have proberbly learned more without it , at the time it was hard and i felt robbed but at 12 to 16 years old i was making more money than an aduld, proberbly because my brain was working overtime but money is,nt everything , if i hand a £20 note to someone collecting for the blind or something similar i get strange stares but all i am doing is giving back something that life has given me .
    All the best Julia .
    • 1912 posts
    June 15, 2010 1:43 AM BST
    I looked at this thread when it first came out and thought to myself I really haven't missed out on that much. I have had a pretty good life. Nikki's comment about how she was glad that she was born TS so she could experience both sides of the fence was great. But Cristine really nailed it by saying we just don't know what it would be like to be different then what we actually are. I don't have any regrets and will never try to block out pre-transition memories.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    June 15, 2010 2:27 PM BST
    Easy Bake Oven.....mostly.
    • 129 posts
    June 15, 2010 9:09 PM BST
    Hi.
    Nikki thanks , i think my inner strength came from learning to survive in a world where i thought i was the only one like me , i did not have a clue why my head was telling me i was a girl and society was saying i was a boy .
    Theres some interesting points coming out here! Chistine maybe the way things are advancing in the medical world it may be possible for you to bare a child , i hope one day it is .
    I had the foresight not to get married or have any children (knowone wanted me lol) but that was a choice i made so as not to cause anyone else any pain over me being who i am .
    RE: Rich man , one thing i learned very early in life is the only way to hurt a rich man was to take his money , i don,t mean steal it! i mean rip the sod off , i,m not going to "but i could" tell a few things that i done as a teenager that made grown men cry over my crafty schemes ( nothing sexual ) just pure genius .
    I have gone off the subject , i can,t see where easy bake oven comes in to this , what is easy bake oven?
    Julia xx.
    • 1912 posts
    June 15, 2010 10:07 PM BST
    Easy Bake Oven, OMG, I always wanted one of them. The neighbor girl had one and I would go play with her when her brother was gone. Julia they are exactly as the name implies. They were small little ovens, heated with a light bulb I think, and you could buy cake mixes and make your own cakes and other stuff. I probably enjoyed playing with the girl more than her brother, but being that she had a brother you didn't want the word to spread around that you played with girls. So Julia if that isn't clear enough about the easy bake oven, Zoe just missed out on playing with one.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 129 posts
    June 15, 2010 10:22 PM BST
    Hi Marsha.
    Thanks for that sounds like a good idea and is strange you can,t still get them someone is missing out on a money maker in this world of us trying to save energy cooking with a lightbulb seems a good one .
    Gotta go my salad is getting cold .
    Hugs Julia xxx
    • 1912 posts
    June 16, 2010 2:34 AM BST
    The save us from ourselves do gooders and lawyers in the name of safety have reshaped and redesigned the easy bake oven over the years, so I don't know if the current version would get any kid excited when you can just push a couple buttons on the microwave oven. Here is a great page from the manufacturer highlighting the changes over the years.
    http://www.hasbro.com/eas[...]history
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 434 posts
    June 16, 2010 3:27 AM BST
    julia,
    The very nature of our situation as TG's ensures that we would have missed out on things in our lives. But, to be here now ... and to be able to write this without fear of reprisal is "joy in itself"
    We often forget the good things in our lives when we think of the bad things that have happened. Our cup is "half full" (thanks to hormones) and not "half empty".
    If we can not see the light of day because we have our eyes closed....how will we be able to see our "own light" shine in the darkness.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

"and my needs entwined like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"
  • June 16, 2010 5:29 AM BST
    I was always incredibly jealous of my sister June (who's a year older than me) when she did things like joining the Girl Guides, and wearing a beautiful bridesmaids dress for our cousins wedding.

P.S. I never had an Easy-Bake oven either.
    I must remember to tell this to my therapist at my next session!
  • June 24, 2010 10:05 PM BST
    The only things I have missed out on is. Dating some great women, and maybe a relationship or two with them.
    Once they found out I Cd, they had nothing to do with me.
    • 2017 posts
    June 14, 2010 8:35 PM BST
    I don't think I've missed out on anything to be honest, certainly nothing of great importance. I'm actually glad I was born TS and not GG (which might sound strange), and that's because it allowed me to experience things that are unavailable to women to this day. Of course, it also lets me see things from both perspectives too and I like that, particularly now I'm on the other side of the fence. So even though I have always thought of myself as female, I am glad I was able to experience the life I had. I consider myself to be very lucky.

Nikki
    • 2358 posts
    June 14, 2010 10:54 PM BST
    If you never suffered GD, . without all its connotations and complications You would'nt know what it was like to not be normal, per se. So nobody could realy say they are grateful or happy being the way they are. Bit like asking a rich person if they are glad they are not poor. What do I miss,... being able to have children. A condition I suffer from meant I could never have children as a man, Certainly somthing I find hard to come to terms with, having achieved pseudo womanhood in all aspects apart from the ability to concieve. ,and be a mother.
    • 2017 posts
    June 15, 2010 3:21 PM BST
    Julia, I think it shows a great inner strength that you were able to deal with such adversity and still come up smiling. It speaks volumes for your strength of character.

Christine, you're right, we can't miss what we never had and it's human nature to always seek more, whether it's knowledge, experience, position, wealth or whatever. There is always something that we wish we could attain. As for children, having my own family has enriched my life so much, so I do feel for you not being able to have any.

Nikki
    • 1017 posts
    June 15, 2010 10:24 PM BST
    Hi Julia,

Marsha summed up the Easy-Bake Oven pretty well. If you want to see what they looked like in the early 1960s when they were introduced, take a look at:

http://today.msnbc.msn.co[...]652390/

I wasn't allowed to have one either, but my 5 years younger brother had one. My parents gave up after fighting with me for years...

Best,
    Melody
    • 734 posts
    June 16, 2010 1:36 AM BST
    I was musing about this question for a while too. I'm pleased to see I'm in the main consensus in that I don't feel I've missed out too much [except one thing]. I'm pretty happy to have been born me and not 100% anything else to be honest. I've always valued my difference even when it was confusing me the most! Never heard of an Easy-Bake oven before but I want one! [Thanks for the pic Melody].
    If I feel I've missed out on anything then it has to be children. There is a little part of me tucked away in the safety of 'out of sight' that deeply regrets not having been able to be a Mother. But I'm also blessed with being close to my young niece and nephew. And tend to mother the poor things!
    Best wishes
    Rae
    • 734 posts
    June 16, 2010 2:46 AM BST
    Lol, thanks for that Marsha hunni. I'm wondering if it ever made it's way to the UK and if so is it something I've missed out on???
    Best wishes
    Rae
    • 734 posts
    June 16, 2010 2:46 AM BST
    Lol, thanks for that Marsha hunni. I'm wondering if it ever made it's way to the UK and if so is it something I've missed out on???
    Best wishes
    Rae