Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Can good make up work?

Can good make up work?

Tags : None
  • I was just wondering if I could learn some make-up tips to make my face more like a woman's. Luckily, I don't have a strong beard growth, and what I do have isn't dark, so I have no troubles with a 5'clock shadow.

I am gonna buy myself a make-up kit and see how I get on. I have dabbled with make-up before but I was always drunk when I tried it on. LOL. I gave up booze so I have no worries there anymore.
      June 27, 2010 6:42 PM BST
  • Make up is essential, well it is for me!
    Just trial and error until you get a look that you're happy with.
    It's great if you've got another girl to help you.
    I had the help of my older sisters.
    There are loads of make up videos on Youtube.
    And like any other activity that requires dexterity it's not a good idea to apply make up whilst under the influence!
      June 27, 2010 8:00 PM BST
  • It would really help to know the motivation behind wanting to do so hon. Are you wanting to be a passable woman, or are you just hoping those around you will maybe see a little femininity in you? Either way you can learn some of the ways to "contour" your face by going to youtube and search makeup contouring. It takes great skill to apply makeup to the point nobody knows you have it on and then to top it off with the proper shadowing to give the impression it is contoured like a woman's is going to be difficult at best. A lot of the look is going to be in how you shadow your eyes, nose and cheeks. What makes this difficult is if you will be seen in normal day lighting versus dusky evening lighting. Now if you have no problem with others knowing you are wearing makeup, then the task will be far easier. And if you want them to think of you as a woman, wearing makeup will go a long way.
    Best wishes,
    Marsha
      June 28, 2010 12:50 AM BST
  • 1. Buy copies of SEVENTEEN magazine. That is how young girl's learn. Trial and error and practice, practice, practice. It takes years to get really good at it, like any learned skill.

2. BOBBI BROWN BEAUTY - Bobbi Brown & Annemarie Iverson

BOBBI BROWN BEAUTY EVOLUTION - Bobbi Brown with Sally Wadyka

3. COLOR ME BEAUTIFUL - Carole Jackson

4. * HOW DO I LOOK - Gale Hayman

5. * COMPLETE BEAUTY BOOK - Helen Foster

6. Understand that your entire presentation starts with your skin color and tone, your eye color, your hair color....all modified by your age. These will determine your color palates for both makeup and clothing. The * marked books have color charts that I find very helpful.

7. After you figure out your wardrobe colors (Season), get paint chips from a hardware store to match. These will give you carry-along aids to buy clothing that suits you and will go with your other clothing items.

8. You can prevent a lot of wasted money by reading DON'T GO TO THE COSMETIC COUNTER WITHOUT ME (7th ed. ???}.- Paula Begoun http://www.flawlessbeauty[...]me.html Many cosmetic products are grossly overpriced. You can do very well in a .99 cents store. Some products contents are defined by law and it is very likely that Antarctic Cold Bees nectar in your skin cream will not have any effect...unless you are allergic to bees.

My personal makeup philosophy is understated. I want to look better without it being obvious that it is the makeup that is doing it.

Have fun. Have lots of fun.

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      June 28, 2010 7:16 AM BST
  • Thanks for all your tips. Firstly, like I said the last time I tried it was when I was drunk, and the end result made me look like a prostitute. NOT the look I was after.

But like I said, I gave up booze completely 20 months ago, so all is well.

Secondly, the reason why I am doing is to make my face match my outfits. I have women's legs, so I would like to go out at some point and show that I am not a man under the clothes. LOL. This will need good make-up, and a good wig.

Like I say, thanks again for all your tips. I appreciate it. xx
      June 29, 2010 11:26 AM BST
  • I am female and I have just had a friend of mine open up to me about his want to become a woman and make up was so important to him. I've spent time with him showing him how to apply, testing colours to see what colours he suits and making sure he builds up his own make up kit correctly. I'd love to help anyone else to do the same. I am based in Glasgow but am happy to Offer support to anyone who needs it. even if you are far do not hesitate to send me a message! Please don't hesiatate to try thing and see what works. You will only get better at application and choosing correct shades with practise! Xx
      July 10, 2015 10:32 PM BST