Don't get too excited, but..

• 1912 posts
    August 8, 2010 8:56 PM BST
    It looks like I will be practicing what I have been preaching here. I have been asked to be a board member of one of our local LGBT organizations here in Savannah. It is not a done deal because technically elections are held for the positions, but when the president asks you to be a board member and represent the transgender community, it will in all likelihood come to be. It was also surprising to have all the people coming up to me at the social lastnight to tell me how I will do a great job. What is more amazing is when people you don't know come up to you and tell you that, lol.

Many here may have the impression I argue a lot, but in reality I don't. I find myself in new territory now that I have transitioned. I use to be a different person with no social life and few friends. I now find myself with many friends and at least for the time being, popular beyond my wildest expectations. I believe most of the conflicts here are simple miscommunications of the desired message. Being vocal allows for immediate clarification of a message and I look forward to the opportunity to work directly with others for the betterment of our community.

The position involves several things including participating on committees, the organization's newsletter, fund raising events and socials. I would also work with other groups including PRIDE, Georgia Equality, the Film Society and Standout Youth.

I encourage all who are in a position to help with their own local organizations do so or at a minimum support their efforts.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 871 posts
    August 8, 2010 10:28 PM BST
    Good for you Marsha, big hugs xxx oh, and, I think you'll do a great job!
    • 181 posts
    August 9, 2010 2:26 AM BST
    Marsha, thats terrific news !!!!!!!!! I'm really really thrilled for ya too. I know you're going to be a leader . You've already demonstrated that . ellen
    • 105 posts
    August 9, 2010 9:49 AM BST
    Hi Marsha,

Congratulations! They're very fortunate to have you aboard, and I've no doubt that you'll make a big and positive difference.

Hugs,

Judith

PS Love the new avatar photo, trés chic.
    • 1912 posts
    August 9, 2010 1:58 PM BST
    Thank you to everyone who as replied with the kind well wishes. I have never done anything like this before so it is an experience I am looking forward to. I see it as a way to develop new friendships and to share a fresh perspective because they have never had a "T" on the board from what I understand. I have heard numerous times that the LGB's don't really like us, and I have myself said at times we need to get the "T" out of LGBT. The LGB community here in Savannah has been nothing short of fantastic to me. I can tell you many share my opinion on TG's that are in your face, over the top, that they project a poor image of our community at this stage in time. I can also tell you they feel the same way about their own that are excessive or approaching lewd. Even I need to be cautious not to paint everyone into the same corner.

To respond to some of the points Rose brought up, I think it is fantastic that she works for a company that has decided to be blind to sexuality and gender, therefore not needing someone to represent them separately. But on the promiscuity issue of gays, I know that goes on, but I also know first hand that many have been in long term commitments. Look at the heterosexual kids today and try and honestly say that many of them are not promiscuous. Once again you can't paint everyone into the same corner. We happen to have a number of LGBT organizations here in Savannah and the one I am a member of tends to be more mature adult oriented versus younger and flamboyant like our local Pride organization. However we at times work together to support other organizations like StandOut Youth that helps teens in our community with counseling and other resources.

Unlike a business that only sets rules inside it's own walls, this organization works with businesses and city as well as state officials to establish policies that go far beyond our own communities. Simply put, we educate others about the good people we really are. I once said I was not an activist, but eventually realized I was an activist within our community. Now to some extent I well be going beyond our "T" community and representing our community to the outside. Even I change.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 1195 posts
    August 10, 2010 11:25 PM BST
    Congradulations Marsha
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1912 posts
    September 28, 2010 2:17 AM BST
    It is now final, today the results for the election of the new board of directors for our local LGBT organization came in. Out of 65 voters I received 57 votes for the third highest total for the 13 positions. I am fairly new to this organization having only become an actual member this past spring, so I am very thankful for the support I received. 19 individuals ran for 13 positions and the vote tally ranged from 1 to 60 votes. I was asked to run for a board position in order to have someone represent the TG community. I have expressed dissatisfaction with various behaviors by some TGs in the past and I may not change my position on that much, but one thing I want to assure those here that question my ability to represent all TGs, is that I believe in the rights of all TGs to do as they see fit as long as it does not harm anyone. I do not know fully what this position will entail. There may be questions that come up that I hope I can present here to assist me in finding the answer that best supports our community.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    September 28, 2010 2:54 AM BST
    Congrats Marsha. It's really rewarding to get involved like that. I made so many new friends. Wonderful experience. You'll have a ball and help many, many people. of that much, I am sure.

Z
    • 871 posts
    September 28, 2010 11:03 AM BST
    Congrats Marsha. I'm really pleased for you! hugs x
    • 746 posts
    September 29, 2010 3:20 PM BST
    They got it right Marsha! (smile)

congrats!!!!

Traci xxxx
  • September 29, 2010 3:28 PM BST
    May I add my congratulations as well Marsha.
    • 308 posts
    September 30, 2010 6:58 AM BST
    Well done Marsha,
    I am always felt humbled when ever I helped another person in this community, especially the ones with a substance problem. The community needs all the peer support it can receive.
    You have shown exceptional talent here and I am sure you will display your impressive expertise there.
    Huggs.....Tammy
    • 734 posts
    August 8, 2010 8:58 PM BST
    Funny you should mention it, but I think you'll do a superb job!
    Good luck and best wishes
    Rae xx
    • 2068 posts
    August 8, 2010 11:00 PM BST

You workin for PRIDE.....now there's a laugh!. Only kidding so i was, you'll do a great job.

Anna-Marie
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • August 9, 2010 8:00 AM BST
    I've been my company's LGBT delegate for almost 2 years and have gone to meetings, conferences and training weekends during which it became obvious that TS is no part of LGBT which by and large are lifestyle choices even if their inner drive is something deeper.
    But now me and my boss have decided I will stand down and we will no longer be supporting the LGBT directly apart from some small clerical help for their campaigns for the simple reason that as a business we have to deal with everyone who comes over the threshold regardless of their sex and gender and treat them just as bodies in need of some sort of medical help regardless of whether that need is due to a lifestyle choice or not.
    Also we take the view that immediately any employee sets foot on the company property they lose all sex and gender and are just a person paid to do a job for 8 hours a day or whatever. During that time if they are front line staff they will wear some sort of uniform that can be as sex/gendered as they wish - trousers/tunic or skirt/tunic or long coat allows for all genders. Rear office staff are free to wear clean moderate clothing of their own choice. I've not noticed any girls with tiny miniskirts or seethrough tops but one of the male staff we have cycles to work and wears those horrible tight lycra shorts - we all avert our eyes cos it is not a pretty sight. Jewellery must not be worn except for wedding rings. Women and men are free to wear makeup if they wish and he women staff do so and I always am made up and bejewelled but so are many of the back office women but I've yet to hear of a male wearing any. We have heard there is man who is a 'sort of crossdresser' in the place but I nor anyone else in the department has not had any need to contact this person.
    The company has a zero-tolerance policy for its staff so that no-one need fear any possible shame/embarrasment or ill-will whatever their sex or gender might be and also the public is warned that we have zero tolerance to them causing any problems so that in fact in the 3.5 years I've worked there there hasn't been a single incident of any sort of sex/gender discrimination.
    So basically with the 100% zero-tolerance policy and the uniform choice the LGBT thing is dead in the water as far as we are concerned and so we are stopping all involvement with it.
    I did enjoy meeting the Ls and Gs but the promiscuity of the Gs made my blood run cold and the Ls mostly seemed to be in stable relationships.
    At the meetings and conferences the Gs couldn't wait to get out at night cruising the gay bars and the Ls mainly had their partners and went off with them.
    • 1017 posts
    August 9, 2010 8:04 PM BST
    Hi Marsha,

Congrats and I wish you well in your new position.

As someone who has had multiple Lesbian and Gay friends over the years, my view is while individually there are a lot of really nice folks who self-identify as members of those groups, as Organizations they aren't very interested in supporting the TG cause. I know nothing about the LGBT scene in Savannah (other than what you've posted) and I hope it's better there. If not, hope you can make a difference. I think it's telling that you are apparently the first "T" allowed into the fold.

Best,
    Melody

• 1017 posts
    September 28, 2010 3:09 AM BST
    Hi Marsha,

Congrats! They made a good choice.

Best,
    Melody