Today.

• 129 posts
    September 11, 2010 9:48 PM BST
    Hi all .

Today is that day! 9 years ago today the world changed and i doubt any of us will never forget what happned in New York , i know i never will , i can remember vividly where i was and what i was doing as 9/11 unfolded .

I find it hard to believe in God for my own reasons but i hope if there is a heaven that all of the poor inocent victims are there now but they should be with there families .

God if you are there! look after those poor souls who lost thier lives and look down on thier families today as they must be going through pain we can only imagine.

If what happened 9 years ago today was done in the name of God it just makes it harder for me to believe .

R.I.P All of the victims of that day .

I challenge anyone to go on youtube and type in

Heaven remix (little girl who lost her daddy) 9-11 tribute .

and not shed a tear .

Julia.
    • 1912 posts
    September 11, 2010 11:24 PM BST
    Few events have ever caused so many people to remember where they were when the event occurred. For Americans the ones that standout are Pearl Harbor, JFK's assassination, and 9/11. I'm sure there are some regional events along with ones that effected individual so I don't want to downplay those, but 9/11 shocked the world and in reality effected everyone in the civilized world. War is bad enough, but when innocent citizens are targeted, it is just mind boggling. The nearly 3000 people killed hopefully will never be forgotten. I will never forget watching that second plane crash into the tower on live TV at my customer's house on Middle Marsh Retreat.
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    September 12, 2010 5:51 AM BST
    I was working with Blue Barn Theatre project in Omaha. He had just started rehearsals for "The Dumb Waiter". This annoying little tech guy busted in told us to turn on the TV. The first tower had already been hit and then when the second tower was hit....well we knew the first one wasn't a mistake, didn't we? Downstairs, a few girls had been an dance rehearsal for an upcoming show. They had already been working hard, and when Dee heard the news, she fainted dead away. Everyone was looking at each other like each wanted the next to explain what had just happened to them. The country wide shock was palpable. Everyone was shell shocked. News sounded like hearsay and hearsay sounded like news. It was the longest unsettling feeling group-wide, that I have ever witnessed.

Z
    • 434 posts
    September 12, 2010 6:03 AM BST
    yes - the world changed that day, - but only for a little while.
    We still see women being stoned to death, hung, and beheaded ...all to support a barbaric, mid-evil, "religious-based" law
    we still see death threats over cartoons that are not "approved of"
    we still see death threats threats if we disrespect their Koran.
    we still see dancing in the streets when they have harmed our people.
    and, we still see people having their heads slowly cut off in front of a video camera.

.... I guess we forgot...

-------------------------------------------------

ps "And you read your Emily Dickinson... and I my Robert Frost,
    And we note our place with book-markers...that measure what we've lost.
    Like a poem poorly written...we are verses out of rhythm,
    Couplets out of rhyme... in syncopated time
    And the dangled conversation... and the superficial sighs... are the borders of our lives."
    • 1912 posts
    September 12, 2010 12:48 PM BST
    Hugs Trine, those are all significant events no doubt. I was thinking more along the lines of an unexpected calamity that shocked untold numbers of people moments after it happened. Take for example the Declaration of Independence in 1776, it took time after the signing for word of the signing to disseminate around the country. With the media we have today we get news the instant it happens which definitely increases the shock value of any story.

I have to disagree with Doanna saying little has changed. I think for anyone who travels somewhat frequently, the security measures now taken at the airport and here in the U.S., new (hard to fake) drivers licenses, are everyday reminders of 9/11. I think we tend to start forgetting, but before we have forgotten, we are confronted with a new reminder.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    September 12, 2010 3:24 PM BST
    The aftermath of 9/11 was so awful. One misstep after another. The GOP in the middle of the night pushing through the Patriot Act, a piece of legislation which could be used to destroy honest people on the mere whif of...anything. Illegal wire tapping, suspension of habeus corpus. The new department of Homeland Security constructed an impossible to understand color-coded terror chart. I have yet to admit anyone who knew what each of the security colors meant. The effect, however, was clear. "Be afraid, be very afraid. Don't forget to be afraid".

Politically, the President began jamming legislation through Congress. Any opposition to the President's legislation was met by the entire right wing of Congress chirping that this person was unpatriotic, in fact, since he is helping the terrorists by not helping the President, he is actually A TRAITOR!!!! How many times did we hear that?

Then we began to hear ordinary Americans talking about how everyone should be behind the President 100%. I remember in the days after 9/11 how everyone in this country was in shock and we were ready to exact horrible revenge on whoever was responsible for this. The entire free world was sending us sympathy messages and let us know how they were behind us. We could have used this moment to really take our place as a real leader in the world, but of course, we mucked it all up. I remember how ordinary people started to distrust Middle Eastern people even more than we had. Ordinary muslims were openly being called terrorists.

We were made to be fearful by fear itself. FDR's voice rang through my head so many times. Also Benjamin Franklin's words: Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security. Let us never forget what happened on September 11th. But let us also remember what happened after, so we are less likely to repeat the same mistakes again.

Z
    • 746 posts
    September 12, 2010 6:52 PM BST
    President Clinton had him in his gunsights along with close to 100 other Al-Quieda leaders at a camp and came within 10 seconds of ending this mess...but alas, he ordered them jets to pull off...the rest is history...(9-11, etc.)
    • 2068 posts
    September 12, 2010 10:49 PM BST

I still have the UK newspapers from 2001 with the 9/11 story in & just looking at them gives me the shakes. What happened in NYC could so easily have happened in London.

Anna-Marie
    • 2627 posts
    September 12, 2010 5:02 AM BST
    I had just got up, made my coffee & turned on the TV. There was a live report of a plane that hit the trade center. Then peope started pointing & yelling that there was another one. The camera swung up as the plane turned sharply into the building.
    You could here people yelling that they were terrorist.
    Yes at that momment the world changed.
    • 1017 posts
    September 12, 2010 4:44 PM BST
    Hi Zoe,

Nicely said.

I'd only add that same President used 9/11 as an excuse for a "vanity" war in Iraq based on fabricated evidence. If he'd not diverted attention from the real perpetrators of the terror attacks, Osama Bin Laden would have been dead 8 years ago instead of walking free in the border valleys of Pakistan today.

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    September 12, 2010 7:20 PM BST
    Hi Traci,

You got that right, too. While Clinton had the embassy bombings in Africa and the USS Cole attack, they were small potatoes compared to 9/11, which happened on our soil. If anything, Clinton's inaction makes Bush's incompetence/ideological stupidity even worse.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2573 posts
    September 13, 2010 3:53 PM BST
    Something to think about:

http://www.slate.com/id/2213025

One thing that they did destroy was the growing wave of anti-Israel sentiment developing in the US at that time. After 9/11 it practically disappeared and sympathy for Muslim victims of Israeli overreactions disappeared along with it. Do not forget that these terrorists have killed far more Muslims than Americans, and more of them may have been killed by other Muslims than US/UK troops in Iraq. US sentiment, regarding 9/11, will not go away until the last of those alive that day are themselves dead. Hatred of Japan still exists for Pearl Harbor. "Don't Tread on Me" spoke to the heart of American Culture since before there was a United States.

Also, let us not forget that, without France helping us and at war with England we might have lost that conflict and be a Dominion today.