NASCAR Politics

• 252 posts
    September 23, 2010 5:25 AM BST
    If you weren't paying attention to American politic this last year, you might not know that the law restricting corporations from giving more than $2000 was removed. Corporations can now own politicians lock, stock and barrel, and it's all legal.

You may have seen American NASCAR. While I'm not a fan, I have noticed that they wear patches for their sponsors. The company that gives the most money has the biggest patch. I think we should use the same thing in American politics. You say you took $500,000 to vote against LGBT rights? A small "Focus on the Family" patch on your upper arm, perhaps. Take 1.5 million for your "re-election campaign" from BP? Fine, put a big BP sun on your back. Did ensure the death of your district's mom & pop Main St. businesses by welcoming five new Wal-Marts into your district, plus gave them special zoning rights? That'll be a very large "Wal-Mart"patch across your chest, please.

Just some baked ramblings,

Zoey
    • 1912 posts
    September 23, 2010 12:59 PM BST
    I like your idea Zoey but in the end I think it would just make matters worse. They wouldn't have to worry about hiding it anymore and because every other politician would likely have just as many patches, they would just say who cares and be more brazen about representing their "sponsors."
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    September 23, 2010 4:08 PM BST
    That's nlot true, Karen. The law was a maximum of $2000. And politicians have been stung by the law restricting contributions in the past. That protection ois gone. They can accept a bribe of millions and millions of dollars now. If that doesn't frighten the hell out of you, it should.

Marsha, it might make some diffference, especially if they are saying that they would support LGBT rights, if the right bill came along, meanwhile they are sporting a "No on Prop 8" patch or a "Focus on the Family" patch. It would certainly make hypocrisy easier to spot, plus now we'd get to see who this politician is actually working for. To me, removing the cap on corporate contributions is the first step to our country being run by corporations. This is the dawn of the new fascism. Embrace it or fight for your life.

Z
    • 1912 posts
    September 23, 2010 5:47 PM BST
    I don't really think so Zoey. There is just so much apathy that most of that stuff is soon forgotten. I see it very similar to boycotts, few participate, and very little news about it ever makes the major media. Politicians believe voters are stupid and in some respect they are right. Whether good or bad, Obama was elected based on hope, not substance and believe me I did not like John McCain either. It seems to me the majority of voters don't pay attention to any of this.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • September 23, 2010 11:49 PM BST
    NASCAR The only NASCAR politics i'm interested in is 29 kevin harvic go kev go i've got the jacket!! friends dont let friends drive fords lol
    love you mel!! x sabini xoxo
    • 252 posts
    September 24, 2010 1:53 AM BST
    Sorry Marsha, but the sad truth is that the only people who are going to forget about this extremely important law change are the everyday people that this will affect. So the next time your taxes go up for seemingly no reason or your senator makes a series of baffling votes, consider the motives behind these moves and realize that a great deal of money can equal a great deal of power in this country. In this country he who has the gold makes ALL the rules.

Z
    • 1912 posts
    September 24, 2010 2:20 AM BST
    I have to agree money rules, but you are quick to blame corporations, but then talk about the anti GLBT people. Those are not corporations but churches and individuals. When the current over 65 crowd moves on to their final resting grounds, things will change for us, with or without the help of corporations.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    September 24, 2010 4:10 AM BST
    Well, i'm talking about what matters to us. The truth is that supposed "Christian" organizations give boatloads of money to the candidates that will willingly slip into their pocket. Our elected politicians are now going to be FAR more beholden to the businesses that supported them and will feel very little reason to actually serve their people. I think that's why they are in Washington. To serve us. Yes, I'm certaain I remember something about that.....

Z
    • 1912 posts
    September 24, 2010 1:06 PM BST
    Zoey, I hope you realize I am not disagreeing with you, only stating there is more to it which includes any entity with money. Probably as much as you worry about the corporations buying candidates, I see these extreme religious groups supplying and supporting their candidates. But the reality of it is it is not just democrat or republican, liberal or conservative, there are groups such as move-on.org with George Soros doing their part to direct politicians. And of course the far right extremist christian coalition with the ilks of Dr. James Dobson. Sadly, you and I are only two little meaningless trannies. When we make enough noise they dangle a carrot in front of us, but the reality is they will never let us catch it.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2627 posts
    September 23, 2010 12:45 PM BST
    Owning politicians is nothing new. I think thier just wanting it to go on record as to who gave how much.
    • 1017 posts
    September 23, 2010 11:58 PM BST
    Hi Sabini,

I consider my Lipstick Red 2010 Ford Mustang GT convertible to be the ultimate fashion accessory.

Best,
    Melody