Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Face powder, Halo

Face powder, Halo

Tags : None
  • Hi everyone,
    Here is a product that I love, after I started using it, my wife tried it, now it is all she uses. She uses it as a foundation like Bare Minerals, and finds that it does not clog her pores, as does Bare Minerals.
    I am also finding that as time goes on, my wife is getting into my makeup trends, which I find it very entertaining.

You just turn the applicator top and scrape off just enough, no waste and a fresh a fairly uncontaminated powder.
    It is great for aging skin. I give two links, one for the Smash Box site and the other one describes a very good method of application, one that I have used for a long time. Except after I am done with everything, blush, bronzer, etc, I use the kabuki brush, and do a swirling brush down of everything. It gives a nice smooth blended finish. I need every trick I can for a smooth skin appearance, plus I do not smoke, number one killer for nice skin, especially as one gets older.

Smash Box link...
    http://www.smashbox.com/H[...]-POWDER

Now a good application method link...
    http://www.themakeupdivas[...]ng.html
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      October 23, 2010 8:06 AM BST
  • Hi Tammy, great review. I still shy away from the $60 mineral foundations and opt for my $8 Maybelline mineral powder foundation with excellent results, but our techniques are very similar and I think that is the key to making any foundation look its best. Like you, I use a kabuki brush, swirling it gently around to blend the final look. I have also found that using your fingers to gently blend the finished look works well, especially on creme foundations.

On the Smashbox Halo do you find it lasts all day, or do you feel you need to reapply to make it through the evening? You also mentioned your wife uses it as foundation, do you also use it as foundation or do you use it as powder over another foundation? And if so, which foundation? The Maybelline mineral powder worked fairly well for me over CoverGirl Simply Ageless foundation, but you had to be careful not to over do it or it would cake up.

Hugs,
    Marsha
      October 23, 2010 2:03 PM BST
    Hey Tammy, yep a thumbs up to Bare Minerals I've used them many times over the past few years. Often, a natural mineral base is the only make-up I use (apart from a little concealer). It covers well and it won't clog your pours or cause problems if you leave it on over night. And a little goes such a long long way!
    www.raekelcou.com
      October 24, 2010 1:02 AM BST
  • Hi Marsha,
    I use the Halo as a setting powder and bought up all the Prescriptive's foundation that was my flavor, before they went out of business. I will be looking for a new foundation soon, and will have to give your foundation suggestion a try. What I liked about Prescriptive's is, they would do a skin test to find your right color combination and mix it for you if it was not in stock, and keep your formula on record. My skin has a ruddy complexion and this worked well. Actually my daughter told me about it many yrs ago since it was the only one she could use.
    As far as touching up the Halo, I find that after about 5 hrs I might have to run the applicator pad that comes with a compact over my face to smooth things out again, other wise things would cake up like what you describe. Usually I leave it alone, my skin is not oily, another condition of aging skin, at least for myself.
    Do you use a primer? I use the SmashBox Photo Finish, I find it works well for to diminish pore size, and actually hydrates my skin, which I need. Yes my wife uses that also, but that's very neat since we share the same products.
    Huggs...Tammy

http://www.smashbox.com/P[...]ERMAXYL
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      October 24, 2010 5:48 AM BST
  • Thanks Tammy, only recently did I start using a foundation primer on a regular basis. I use the new Simply Ageless primer by CoverGirl when I use either mineral powder foundation, or for special occasions the Simply Ageless foundation by CoverGirl. I wrote a review here not too long ago about the Simply Ageless foundation. I really like it and find that it holds up well the entire day for me. Even on days where I went to church in the morning followed by jet skiing on the ocean in the sunny afternoon. You can really see the difference when you use the primer. It really allows the foundation to go on smoother and more even.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      October 24, 2010 1:02 PM BST
  • I have found a little luck using rimmel primer and there 25 hour foundation. took a bit to get the right shade but so far fairly happy and when used with the primmer, lasts most of the day, 10 -12 hours. I would doubt the 25 hrs they claim but. But i agree with you marsha that using the primer really helps the foundation for sure.

Still looking for better and always learning
    Hugs
    Brenda
      October 24, 2010 5:03 PM BST