First Transgender Experience

• November 17, 2010 3:52 PM GMT
    Hello to all-my name is Amanda. I'm a new member in The Gender Society, and would like to share my first experience in feminine shopping yesterday. This is my first time coming out as a crossdresser. I went shopping dressed as a man, and all the ladies were very helpful and non-judgmental in my purchases. I bought makeup, a sexy pair of 4" black heels size 9, pantyhose and a cute Junior Plus size knit dress that came just above my knees.

A girl shopping for shoes helped me purchase the right size heels and in picking out the dress in my size. I did not expect everything to go so well, and cannot believe how the public accepted my transgender needs. I was very nervous prior to shopping and was ready to fight if anyone (mainly men) gave me a problem. I've been insecure with my height all these years, but as a women, I am at least average height. The most exciting part of yesterday is that I make an attractive and I believe passable female. I felt sexy, pretty and very excited in my overall experience.

• 252 posts
    November 18, 2010 2:26 AM GMT
    Not trying to make us tall girls all paranoid, are you Katie?? LOL Just kiddin'. Congratulations, hon. Getting yourself out there the first time can really be difficult, sounds like you came through just fine. *hugs*

Zoey
    • 374 posts
    November 18, 2010 11:12 AM GMT

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to Gender Society and congratulations on what appears to be a very successful shopping trip! You've certainly come to the best place on the Web for support and for making new friends! All the best as you continue your journey!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
  • November 19, 2010 5:16 AM GMT
    Thanks for the friendly advice Katie. People can be superficial and ignorant. We need to accept the height we are.

Take Car xo
  • November 19, 2010 5:18 AM GMT
    Thanks for the friendly advice Katie. People can be superficial and ignorant. We need to accept the height we are.

Take Care xo
  • November 29, 2010 11:50 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda,

Isn't it great to be able to go shopping for Amanda and get the kind of support you experienced?

Wait until you go there dressed as Amanda. I was floating about 3ft off the ground for a week after my 1st time shopping as Michelle.

Now, the only issues I have relate to the stores having the right sizes and colors.

My wish - if only my credit card were magically paid for me.

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn
    • 181 posts
    November 30, 2010 4:02 PM GMT
    I am so thrilled a Crossdresser was able to go shopping for once with out being looked at as though they are about to contract a "Life altering " desease. Wow, would,'t it be so wonderful if all crossdressers and transgendered individuals could shop in peace and dressed as they wish in person at the store of their choosing , THATS ALL. ellen
  • December 1, 2010 3:24 AM GMT
    Good Girl Amanda-

I must have been shopping in guy clothing for different things 400-500 times. It gets EASIER! Perhaps I simply have recognized that I am female and nothing perturbs that concept. When you are really good at selecting the best clothing and have gotten your figure into good shape, unbelievable joys are in store for you.

With my best thoughts.

Jacqueline
  • December 3, 2010 5:05 PM GMT
    Congratulations, Amanda, but just one warning:

As it gets easier, it gets to be more fun, too. Shopping for cute shoes, skirts, dresses, tops, and intimate things is a great time. But, here's the warning: It sure puts a hole in your purse! (Just yesterday, I went to a local store for $10 worth of household necessities and ended up with $100-plus worth of makeup and clothes.) On the way, picked up my order from Payless purchased during their recent BOGO promotion. Another pair of flats and another pair of heels added to the collection!

Have fun!

Emily
    • 2127 posts
    November 17, 2010 5:12 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda, I'm not the tallest person around and at school I was sometimes called shorty. However, that has proved to be a real asset as an adult because it means that I can wear high heels now, without towering above the other girls.

If you want to pass as a woman, being a bit short is a very good thing because you can always wear heels to increase your height if you need to but tall people can do nothing to appear shorter.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 110 posts
    November 17, 2010 6:54 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda,I'm glad you had a good first shopping trip. I know what you mean the first time can be nerve racking. The first time I went I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. It will be so much easier the next time. Take care and welcome to the site. Love Lillith x
    • 2573 posts
    November 18, 2010 7:30 AM GMT
    Good for you, Amanda. I hope that wonderful experience helps carry you forward to where you want to go.
    • 1980 posts
    December 4, 2010 4:28 PM GMT
    Jeepers, Katie. Slam us tall girls, why doncha?<sob> Oh, just teasing.<smile>

Hi Amanda-

Good for you, hon. Isn't getting out and shopping for your real self so much fun? No more online orders sight unseen and hoping that it looks like the pix and fits and isn't put together with staples or something. Speaking for myself, whether shopping in girlmode or guymode, I have never been hassled by anyone. The sales staff are more than happy to help out, after all they're there to make a sale, no matter what you're buying. My feeling is that if I should get any sort of static, I can always take my money down the mall to another store who will be happy to take it.

Enjoy your new purchases, girl, I'm sure it's just the first of many more. BTW, I adore thrift and consignment stores, I've gotten so many great things. One girls, "Oh this is so last year and boring." is another girl's, "OMG, look at this, it's so beautiful and my size, too!" Have fun.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • December 4, 2010 8:43 AM GMT
    One of my most enjoyable experiences is our "girls days out" with my sister June and my GGfriend Fiona. Shopping fully dressed and being able to try on skirts and dresses is wonderful and also great practice for when I start living full time.
  • December 3, 2010 11:10 PM GMT
    LOL Emily,

I totally agree with you Emily. I went over my budget this past week purchasing more make-up, a bra, tank top and cute button sweater. It certainly is expensive to be a girl-things we men never realized. I still have lots of needed clothing and accessories. There are some nice thrift shops I'm going to check out.