So can I use the ladies room?

• 43 posts
    November 18, 2010 6:57 PM GMT
    Just wondering how the law stands?

I have always found people in shops and restaurants helpful and non-judgemental and have used the ladies room a few times in shopping centres when dressed (obviously). I've tended to act normal, avoid eye contact and be in and out rather than linger messing with hair or make up.

Although I'm not TG nor transitioning, I always have the mantra that how would anyone know I'm not and if I act as a normal female or as close as I can, why would they bother me.

Just wondered what the legal position is and whether I would be better seeking out the disabled toilets instead each time.

Thanks

• 2358 posts
    November 18, 2010 7:18 PM GMT
    http://gendersociety.com/[...]4550110

Technically, to be lawful one must be on a programme, undergoing supervised medical treatment, But hey, if you pass, does it matter, it could be embarrassing if someone made a complains tho. Going the official route gives a person certain rights and expectations of protection from harassment and abuse and restrictions in those circumstances
    • 52 posts
    May 24, 2011 1:53 AM BST

In the UK the law (from everything I have read) states that a person is entitled to use the toilets to which they feel most comfortable using,   regardless of how well they pass, as long as the toilets are used for their intended purpose.

Apparently there is actually no law preventing a man from entering a ladies toilet anyway, but I guess it would fall under sexual harrassment if this was abused.

• September 2, 2013 2:52 PM BST

You are correct - there is no law preventing a man from entering a ladies toilet - although entering for any other purpose than that normally expected may be covered by Section 5 of the Public Order Act "Causing Harassment Alarm or Distress" or the sexual offence of Voyerism.

In both cases you need to have a complainant, and each situation would be judged on it's merits.

There is no offence of "Sexual Harassment" - there's Harassment, which requires a course of conduct, which one visit to the toilet would not meet.

Em

xxx

• 2358 posts
    September 2, 2013 3:05 PM BST

Harrassment is only applicable if there are subsequent reports, depending on the severity of the first incident, threating or intimidating behavor can be used initially.

• September 13, 2013 4:04 PM BST

yeah i wouldnt think going to the ladies rest room would be considered harassment ... unless you started stalking someone and followed that person in there i mean harrassment is the intent to intimadate someone but some ppl just feel intimadated for stupid reasons so its a sorta prove i was situation which most probs cant well unless you were in which case stop it you making us look bad lol

i use the ladies rest rooms all the time even not dressed in the past as i feel/felt more comfitable using them i have to sit down anyhow and atleast from my exp the ladies room is far more looked after and i dont have to put up with wiping wee of the seats etc ... never had a complaint i did get told by a member of staff in a pub once i may be seen as a pervert but i said im here to use the toilets what does it matter unless a lady is pissing in the sink i dont think im going to be able to see anything so... we had a giggle and nothing else came of it that was 2 months ago ish at durham

• 30 posts
    October 14, 2015 4:43 PM BST

I thought about it long and hard after 'coming out' and considered I would cause less embarrressment to other users if I used the ladies loo. There are not always empty cubicles in the gents and standing there peeing with your knickers around your knees and your skirt lifted to your waist is just not on. The ladies is more private and I am unlikely to get attacked. So far no problems at all. In fact when I went for a recent interview and asked to use the loo afterwards... the ladies interviewing me naturally showed me to the ladies, if thats not approval then what is?

Nichola