Nicknames

• November 25, 2010 11:02 AM GMT
    Was anyone else given a nickname when they were young that still persists to this day?
    As a teenager I was a punk and when I turned up for school with a dyed blonde spiky hairdo I was immediately re christened "Annie" after the Tourists/Eurythmics (Scottish) lead singer Annie Lennox.
    I used to feign annoyance at this but of course I was delighted to be known by a girls name,
    I still sometimes bump into people I was at school with who use my nickname, (and I theirs).
    • 430 posts
    November 25, 2010 12:52 PM GMT
    I've only had a couple of nicknames that stuck if only for a while.

I was known as "Splat" for a while. I was in the parachute unit of the Aussie army for a while and its the noise you make when your 'chute doesn't open. That lasted a couple of years.

From bar tending I was sometimes called 'Cherry Bomb'. For a couple of reasons it was one of my favourite colours to dye my hair and I was pretty sassy behind the bar.

Otherwise nicknames haven't really stuck for me. I like to change things to much for them to make sense for too long.
    • 1912 posts
    November 25, 2010 1:58 PM GMT
    I have a "friend" that calls me Mars. Personally I think it is either because she is too lazy to say two syllables, or it is because she is a gay drag queen in my opinion and they like nicknames for people who perform on stage. She made a big deal out of the need to come up with a nickname for me when we first met. I am partial to Marsha, but at GS I have been called just about every name in the book or should I say not in the book, lol.

I do also get the Marsha Marsha Marsha from time to time. But if you look it up, Marcia Brady was spelled with "cia" not "sha".

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 252 posts
    November 25, 2010 2:45 PM GMT
    Absolutely. I got a nickname in the place where most people acquire a nickname. University. The evolution of my nickname was strange and round about, but it eventually came into focus.

As an actor, my circle of friends was other actors, musicians and writers. I was (by far) the largest actor in the program, and was always cast as the "character" lead. One of the guys in the acting program, who was also in a 60's and 70's cover band with me, started calling me "The Top Dog, The Big Cheese", during production of Twelfth Night, when I played Sir Toby.

Another friend of mine, who was a musician and loved to poke fun at me, started calling me "The Top Cheese, The Big Dog", which I didn't really like any more than the original names. But then, something strange happened. Most of the nickname was abruptly dropped and I just started being called "Cheese" and occasionally "Cheeser". I have to admit sort of liking my nickname, especially since it wasn't gender dependent.

Z
  • November 27, 2010 12:41 AM GMT
    F...ing Wierdo, F...ing Queer, F...ing Gay B...ard, and some that were unkind.
    • 136 posts
    November 27, 2010 2:17 AM GMT
    When I was in elementary school, there were a couple bullies that insisted that my name was Isabelle.
    To this day, I still have no idea of where they were coming from with that name.
    Needless to say, I was relieved that it never stuck.

• 2627 posts
    November 27, 2010 1:47 AM GMT
    When I was in Jr High a friend was trying to get people to call me a girls name I didn't like because of my long hair. So I just looked at him & said fu@k you Goober. He was called goober untill the end if high school.
    • 2358 posts
    November 25, 2010 12:21 PM GMT
    I'm rather relieved that in the main, my nicknames are forgotten and in the past, Snivel & Batty Boy spring to mind. (Batty boy (also spelled bhatti boy, batty bwoy), bati man are pejorative sexual slurs used to describe gay, bisexual and effeminate men, )
    • 1980 posts
    November 25, 2010 2:38 PM GMT
    None that are printable.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 2573 posts
    November 26, 2010 1:32 AM GMT
    The only nicknames from my youth were meant to be hurtful and were left behind when I moved. My current (male) one is what I use everyday and relates to my interests and is amusing to me. It is sort of the acme of my male persona and was started years before I came to TGS.
    Here, some of my British acquaintances use "Wendo", which I gather is like a nickname one might be given in school. Having a nickname for "Wendy" is like making it official, lol.
    • 1017 posts
    November 26, 2010 6:53 PM GMT
    Hi Janis,

In high school my Cuban friend Jose used to call me "Conejo" which means rabbit, cause he thought I looked like one. Happily it didn't stick...

I've always wanted, when in drab, to be called "Mac" because I never liked my given name, Alan. Mac comes form my Scots sirname, think McCann or McDougle. My father was also called Mac so I was "little Mac" til I grew 4 inches taller. Luckily, I was never called "Big Mac".

Best,
    Mellie (my preferred nickname)
    • 530 posts
    November 27, 2010 7:00 PM GMT
    In primary school I was Kiki - not after Kiki Dee unfortunately, but after a parrot. I think that one was just a children's corruption of my real name.
    Later on it was Beaky, and neither I nor the old friend who I met on Friends Reunited a year or so ago and who reminded me of it can remember how that was arrived at.
    (My brother was nicknamed Doris, and it is still used by some of his old schoolfriends. And none of them will tell me why!)