Unexpected changes

• May 19, 2003 6:12 AM BST
    Some more positive effects: my asthma is gone, so is my depression. My blood pressure is back to normal.

Laura
  • May 13, 2003 1:33 PM BST
    LAURANATALIA, MY BODY HAIR HAS CHANGED SIGNIFICANTLY IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS OF HRT..IT'S FINER & SOFTER...I WOULDN'T KNOW ABOUT MY HEAD I KEEP IT FULLY SHAVED.MY male HAIR LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THE CAT DRAGGED IN,SO I JUST WEAR A WIG.I WEAR THE SAME COLOR AND STYLE SO THAT I'M CONSISTANT AND I ONLY BUT TOP SHELF PRODUCTS FITTED FOR ME...PHYLISS-MARIE
    • 18 posts
    August 31, 2003 4:44 PM BST
    could you tell me what is HRT, I already have red hair
    • 27 posts
    August 31, 2003 5:12 PM BST
    Dear Fatenxxx,
    HRT stands for hormone replacement therapy. This is when in a ts they are taking hormones to overpower and eventually eliminate the influence of testosterone on secondary sexual characteristics.

Amanda
  • May 13, 2003 7:37 AM BST
    Hi girls

My SO claims that my hair has changed tune to somewhat reddish brown. It used to be dark brown. Have you noticed colour changes in your hair during the HRT?
    Further I think the HRT has some effect on my voice and speech. Not much, but something that helps a lot.

Laura
  • May 14, 2003 7:28 AM BST
    Yes Phyllis

I meant my head hair My body hair seems to vanish, or get so thin that I hardly see it any more.

Laura
  • May 19, 2003 10:23 PM BST
    yea girls!!! my blood pressure has gotten better,my diabetes under better control,and i don't take as many "chill pills " as i used...being a woman has an advantage PHYLISS-MARIE
  • August 31, 2003 5:32 PM BST
    HRT = Hormone Replacement Therapy - HRT involving some form of estrogen and/or progesterone is actually for genetic females, because it's used for replacing naturally occurring hormone levels that have fallen to levels that are considered to be too low (for situations like hysterectomy, menopause, etc.). The same would apply to genetic males who need to use other drugs to get their testosterone levels back to normal (for example, after a bilateral orchietomy to treat testicular cancer).

HT = Hormone Therapy - HT using some form of estrogen and/or progesterone is used for male-to-female transsexuals who need to introduce certain hormones into their bodies at new levels that are not naturally occurring. No hormone is being replaced, because it wasn't there to begin with (well, not at the desired level). Also, HT for male-to-female transsexuals includes the reduction of normal levels of naturally occurring male hormones. For example, male-to-female transsexuals might use spironolactone as an androgen inhibitor, to keep testosterone from binding to receptors, or goserelin acetate to reduce the gonadal production of male hormones, or cyproterone acetate to do a bit of both.

Because women's health and female hormonal balances are popular medical topics on-line and off-line, the phrase "HRT" gets a lot of press, and trannies who conduct research on female hormones get bombarded by the phrase "HRT," and use it out of habit, when they really mean to use the phrase "HT." I'm guilty of that myself, simply because I see "HRT" so often.