TG/L/Bi/G High School to open

• 1083 posts
    August 1, 2003 2:38 PM BST
    Evlynn--

First off, Katie isn't the brightest quarter in the roll, y'know what I'm saying?

I partially agree with Heather's statement: "Ideally, the authorities would ensure that all students have a safe environment in which to learn. The real victory for tolerance will come when this school closes or is converted to some other use because there is no longer a need for it."

However, you have also grasped the more obvious point: "In an age where school-control-folk make much ado about successfully "integrating" the deaf, the blind, the DownsSyndrome child, etc., it's appalling that children with sexual preference and gender issues, that are outside-the-cultural-box, find themselves with such a isolationist choice "for their own freedom and safety". " Goddess, if that isn't the biggest boatload of crap I have heard in months!

When I was a little girl, we all went to the same high school. We all dealt with bullies, crushes, fights, puppy loves, pop quizzes, race riots (hey--this WAS California in the early '80's) etc. There were a few kids that had special needs, but we all learned that they weren't bad...just different. We had to learn to deal with each other's differences...constructively. In a school built for a thousand kids, we had 2500 in it my senior year. We HAD to learn to get along!

Nowadays, it seems like everyone has to have a different school "for their own safety." While I dearly hope that we finally become enlightened to the point such idiocy isn't needed, I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting.

Still...if I were an open/out T-girl of that age...I might just look into that school if I lived in New York....

Luv 'n hugs,

Jayne Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra- Flirt"
    • 1083 posts
    July 31, 2003 2:11 PM BST
    Hi, luvs-

The question originally was, "When did they start hiring children to be police officers...and firemen...and doctors...?" I'm not saying my doctor is young--but after my last appointment, it was time for his milk and cookies!

Anyway--the big thing in the news here is the opening of a TG/L/Bi/G High School...in New York. (Here in Evansville, they are given their own Prom.) Harvey Milk High School will open this fall in New York, and some are saying that it's about time they had a safe place to go and learn, while others are decrying the "waste of taxpayer dollars". Sadly, most folks around here don't like the idea of said High School. Comments?

Luv 'n hugs,

Jayne Sakura
    • 539 posts
    August 1, 2003 12:29 AM BST
    It is a shame that such a school is required. If the culture had the proper level of tolerance, it would not be needed. But since the culture is still so hostile, there is a need for it, so I can support it. However, in a way, it is an admission of defeat. Ideally, the authorities would ensure that all students have a safe environment in which to learn. The real victory for tolerance will come when this school closes or is converted to some other use because there is no longer a need for it.

Heather H.
    • 1083 posts
    August 12, 2003 1:19 PM BST
    Aeroue--

Here is your history lesson for today:

Harvey Milk was a City Supervisor in San Francisco when I was a little girl. He was shot down by Dan White for no reason other than he was gay. At the trial, Mr. White blamed Twinkies for his problems; they gave him a sugar rush.

Thus ends the history lesson.

Luv 'n hugs,

Jayne Sakura