Alex McLendon Story

• November 1, 2002 10:37 PM GMT
    Evening Girls,

Why did I said last Taboo ?

I guess obviously we all have a vested interest in bringing the bigotry to an end.

But here in the UK, a TV character in a drama is extremely rare. But today it is normal to have Black, Asian or Gay characters. But progress in representing these communities on UK telly probably didn'treally start until the '80s.
    Sadly the portrayals of women back in the 70s were pretty dodgy too.

I feel that the world has moved on, but not for us.

I guess another reason I feel this, is from time to time its all too common to be the butt of a joke (not personally) but as part of a stand up / comedy show.
    Similiar jokes against an ethnic group would now be considered racism.

The dictionary says a TV, is a person who wears the clothes of the opposite sex, and a TS is someone who has the thoughts and feelings of the opposite sex. Lets face it I (and lots of you) fit both categories. But a TV is now portayed as some sort of pervert, where a TS is now someone who has had a sex change. Hardly surprising that TG is now a popular term as the very language that once referred to us is being taken from us.

Its difficult to know how many of us there are. For those of us here are just the tip of the iceberg. But I accept TG is probably relatively rare. Some stats suggest 1 in 10 are gay, are we 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 ?

Society doesn't treat us like it treats other minority groups, and its about time it did. I guess its that feeling of exclusion that makes me feel we are the last taboo. Homosexuality was once taboo, its about time a guy in a dress wasn't. I am very grateful to Eddie Izzard for helping our cause as a high profile CDer.

I guess Stevie I was probably being a little dramatic. There are still many other issues that aren't dealt with properly. Female circumcism and forced marriages are also largely brushed under the carpet in the UK.

What other taboos are you thinking of ?

• October 31, 2002 9:49 PM GMT
    Pantara, what "Southern Belle Convention"? What did I miss?

Lizzie, are you sure that's the last taboo? http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif

Meagan, I really can't guess what my life would be like now, if I had been able to be myself that early. I do think I would've enjoyed my life more, assuming I survived the outing in the first place.
  • October 31, 2002 9:29 PM GMT
    Wow, its great that she had such nice classmates.
    Shame the adults were as blinkered as ever.

Society seems to becoming more used to people changing sex, even though it is still a giggle for the media, but the fact is these are the most extreme cases amongst us.

I don't think society can appreciate that for ever TS having SRS, there are probably hundreds of TG people who suffer similiar mental agonies. It doesn't help when some post op TSs then go through life treating other TG people as pervs or fetishists.

Gay men and women still don't have it easy, but significant progress has been made.

I'm glad that youth today have the Internet, it means that they have the support of thousands of us. Where many of us felt completely alone when we were their age.

I just pray for the day when society can finally face its last taboo.

• October 31, 2002 6:41 PM GMT
    Agreed. I thought the site was just FAB. That girl is going to be one strong-willed woman.
    Sometimes I wish I had "come out" during my school years.
    (Makes you think where you would be now, doesn't it?)
    love
    Meagan:-*
  • August 7, 2002 4:01 AM BST
    This goes back a little bit, but it is a very good story, and it demonstrates why many of us haven't yet come out. However, back when I was her age, the other children would not have been as understanding. If I would've had that much support, I might've come out a long time ago. Even with the general support of the other kids, I think Alex showed more courage and maturity than the adults in her area.

http://www.lynne.co.za/alex.htm
  • November 3, 2002 7:02 PM GMT
    HI GALS, GODDESS BLESS ALEX  AT HIS AGE HAD I"CAME OUT" I WOULD HAVE BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH ,& THE HOUSE I LIVED IN WITH MY PARENTS ,BURNED TO THE GROUND. TIME HAS SOMEWHAT CHANGED PEOPLES' PERCEPTION OF THE T/G COMMUNITY,BUT MORE CHANGE IS NEEDED.    BEST WISHES TO ALEX.......PHYLISS