Makeup & me

Tags : None
  • 2 2627
    After numerus attempts I' have come to the conclusion that makeup & me should never be aloud in the same room.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 19, 2009 2:42 PM GMT
    That sounds rather drastic - I'd feel naked without my make-up. It's not a mask to hide behind. It makes me feel good and look good too.
    Have you tried a veil? Just kidding....have you considered going to a professional make-up person. I'm certain that in Detroit there must be a make-up artist.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      January 19, 2009 3:31 PM GMT
  • I couldn't bear going outside without at least a minimum of make up on, it not only makes me look better but it makes me feel so much better as well.

I gotten my work/daily routine down to about five minutes now!

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 19, 2009 5:39 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    Nikki I swear with each of these post I'm liking you less & less.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 19, 2009 9:27 PM GMT
  • Like Nikki I don't leave home without makeup. I only need maybe 5 minutes for my daily makeup which usually consists of a lighter concealer around the eyes, mineral foundation and blush. I then do my brows. Now and then I do my lashes but rarely eyeshadow during the day. Evenings I will take extra time and do it all. Hair is another story, omg.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      January 19, 2009 10:26 PM GMT
  • Marsha,
    I don't even want to get started on hair... that is the bane of my existence. I have very fine hair that even after I manage to wrestle it into some form I like, as soon as I step outside and wind/humidity/whatever *POOF* it's gone... Makeup still takes me a bit longer than 5 minutes but I agree with other posters it isn't like a mask I just feel better after having a bit on. I think it is just an outward manifestation of how we inwardly see ourselves. There are many times in guy drag that I have some on just because I look better and feel a tiny bit better about myself. I have a hair salon appointment coming up maybe I'll just go for the Sinead look and just use a nice wig, kidding . I'll probably go back to a shorter hairstyle like the one in my profile picture.

Michelle
      January 20, 2009 12:35 PM GMT
  • Karen - Aww no fair!! You'll be glad to know my evening look takes me much longer!

It does take me longer to do my hair though, unless I am wearing it tied back. It usually takes about 15 minutes to straighten it properly.

It's true about just perfecting a simple day look to begin with, a good foundation is essential and keep it all to a minimum. For daytime, less is definately more.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 20, 2009 12:46 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    I gave up on eyeliner. I can do a bit of shadow since I started using a brush insted of that little pad on a stick.
    I can also use mascara but my eyelashes are nothing to brag about. It's odd but as thick as my hair is my eyebrows are allmost nonexistent, very thin & light.
    I have allways had nice hair. When I was younger & wore it long, my sisters use to tell me it wasn't fair.
    I still have all my hair though I wear it above my ears now. After I shower I brush it once & it stays that way for the day.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 20, 2009 2:26 PM GMT
  • So right Dani, I think it took me two years to get this far and I still am trying to improve it.

Just experiment Karen on what works for you, keep it simple. My routine has changed a lot since I started laser on my face, it's much simpler now because there isn't as much to hide away any more.

Two years ago, I had layer upon layer and kept trying different products and methods to get it looking reasonably okay.

Nikki
      January 20, 2009 7:27 PM GMT
  • Danique is so right that none of us figured it out overnight. I think in most cases any brand will give you a reasonable look, the question will be how long it holds up for you. So practice creating the look you are after using products you might already have. When you find your look, then experiment with other brands or formulas. Cream foundations generally will give you far greater coverage if you are trying to cover facial blemishes including facial hair. The newer mineral foundations are outstanding for ease of application, giving an even tone, and long lasting. However mineral foundations will require a concealer to hide blemishes.

Mastering one thing at a time might be the best advice. First your foundation because that is the canvas you are working on. Then work on the eyes. I mentioned earlier using a light concealer around my eyes because I tend to have dark areas towards the inside of my eyes. I forgot who or where that was pointed out to me, but a quick 10 second application of concealer made a big difference in my appearance. Practice and experiment, don't beat up on yourself, you will get it.

I may as will make a plug for a thread on hair I started today, please take a look and add to it. http://gendersociety.com/[...]start=&

Hugs,
    Marsha
      January 20, 2009 7:39 PM GMT
  • Most days, I don't even bother with makeup. I work in a very male-dominated industry, and as far as I am able to determine, I now believe that most people already know that I'm TS. (I used to think that perhaps I was actually pulling-off the stealth identity I thought I had. No one ever gave me any indication that I wasn't, until the day that a co-worker told me that virtually everyone in Northern-California already knew my past, LOL!) I don't interact with the public-at-large, so it's not such an issue for me. I have had FFS and breast augmentation, and I usually have my nails done regularly; (This week's color is OPI "Caribbean Temptation," very cool, very pearl-like pink/fuchsia, one of my favorites!) so I do have a couple of "other things" helping the "illusion".

I really should at least wear a foundation with an SPF-15 (or higher), everyone should. But then I'd have to use a little blush, and lipstick, and to make my eyes look right, I'd have to put on some eyeliner and mascara. I don't have time for this in the morning, I have to be at work at 60 a.m.!

I've been learning some new makeup ideas from http://www.youtube.com/us[...]nacea81, she's very good. Granted, most of the looks she demonstrates will take a bit of time, and an investment in a selection of products, but just look at the results. Wow!

We shouldn't have to validate ourselves with what other people think; but somehow, we still fall into that trap, don't we?

Nicole
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. -- Edgar Allan Poe
      January 20, 2009 10:09 PM GMT