A question regarding Spiro

• 1083 posts
    April 2, 2004 6:18 PM BST
    I have have a question on Spiro--Spironolactone, not Spiro Agnew. (That would be in the Polly Ticks forum.)

I have the option of starting 25 mg/day at the start of my 3rd full cycle of Premarin, which will be at day 169 (Monday May 31, 2004.) At that point, my Premarin dosage goes from 1.25 mg/day to 1.875 mg/day. I have had no adverse effects so far from the Premarin.

Sex isn't an issue. I have not had full intercourse with my SO for quite some time, much less foreplay. (She has, bless her heart, an almost nil sex drive. It's more of a hassle than a pleasure to her, I think.) We have no kids, and at this point, may not ever hatch our own. (Adoption...maybe, maybe not.)

The doc says he'll give me the script if I want it. I am not sure I do--or will need it. Any input and/or advice is needed ASAP, so I can make a better, smarter decision.

And the right decision for me.

Many thanks, ladies!

Dr. Minako Sakura
    • 1083 posts
    April 2, 2004 9:42 PM BST
    Hey cutey!

Thanks for the input. Every little bit helps!

Mina
    • 539 posts
    April 4, 2004 2:45 AM BST
    I started taking 100mg of spironolactone per day about six weeks ago. It is probably too soon to know precisely what it will do, but here is what I have observed so far.

I can feel more going on in my breasts. I haven't noticed any increase in size yet, but with more activity there, an increase may be coming. Sex drive, already not very high, has diminished - a welcome development. I haven't had the mood swings that some people experience, but I have always been good at controlling my emotions, so that skill is perhaps counteracting the drugs. Also, many people experience a substantial increase in thirst and urination (the drug is a potassium-retaining diuretic). I have seen this effect to some degree, but it hasn't been serious. After starting it, watch your potassium consumption. You may wish to avoid multi-vitamins which contain a lot of it, as well as salt substitutes. And don't overdose on bananas. This drug, so far, has not caused any real problems for me. However, I know other people who have experienced problems - primarily frequent urination (along with thirst) and mood problems. Finally, long-term use of this drug, along with hormones, is highly likely to cause permanent sterility, so be certain that you are willing to accept this.

If something major happens, I will post an update.

Heather H.
  • April 7, 2004 10:49 AM BST
    I took spironolactone for about one year, together with estradiol. Now my endocrinologist prescribed me cyproterone acetate, she said it is more effective than spiro.
    I had no adverse effects from spiro nor do I have now with cyproterone acetate.

Laura
  • August 20, 2004 9:59 PM BST
    I had no adverse effects from spiro nor do I have now with cyproterone acetate.

And you did not try to combine reception spiro and androkur? As far as I know it the most effective combination anti-androgens. I now use 200 mg spiro (aldakton) and 50 mg androkur in day. Earlier androkur at me was on 100 mg and is higher, but problems with mentality have begun.