Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Makeup Counter Warning

Makeup Counter Warning

Tags : None
  • Hi Girls-

I wanted to share some information I read over the weekend, though I'm sure many of you must already be aware of it. The article was in the Seattle Sunday paper and was about a study conducted by a college biology professor and her class of pre-med students. She, the professor, is from a collge in Stamford, Connecticut.

The class went to several cosmetics counters at various department stores in the area and took samples from the lipsticks, blushes, etc that were out for display for customers to try. Many of the display items were contaminated with bacteria and the most common one was E coli. Girls there is only one way that it is commonly spread, through fecal matter, sh*t in other words. It means people using the bathroom and not washing and then touching cosmetic samples with their nasty, icky, sh*tty fingers. Gross!

The best counters provide little disposable foam or cotton swabs and wipe off the surface of display items with alcohol pads. MAC was mentioned as one of the best as far as sanitary conditions. The usual disclaimer applies, I don't work for MAC or anything like that, but I do like their products. The article also said you should ask what the return policy is, so if you're concerned about trying an already open product on the counter and buy something and take it home but don't like it, you'll know beforehand if you can exchange it or whatever. Really good artists always wash their hands between customers or wear gloves and sanitize their brushes between customers, also.

Anyway, just wanted to pass it along. Personally I don't think I'll be trying out too many open counter samples anymore.

Hugs, Joni
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde
      April 19, 2005 7:14 PM BST
  • Hi Joni
    Thanks for the information, ugh! I wont be trying anymore display samples even though I only test them on my hand.

Dorothy xx
      April 19, 2005 10:45 PM BST
  • Um, I'm a bit reluctant to bring this up, but would any of you like to know what we found growing in the ice bins in hospitals? You, know, where they would scoop up your ice for your bedside pitcher, etc. To misquote Monty Python...."Your lucky!...We used to dream of finding E. Coli in OUR ice machine". Now, I see ice dispensers like in restraunts.

Aren't baby wipes lovely!
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      April 21, 2005 5:09 AM BST
  • Hi Dorothy, Shan and Wendy-

Pretty gross, eh? Thanks for the tip Wendy, now I can't use the ice dispenser at motels anymore!<lol>.

I always carry one of those little squeeze bottles of hand sanitizer in my purse and in the glove box of the car. From now on I think I'll toss in a few of those alcohol swabs also to use at the cosmetics counselor, too. No matter how careful the staff at the counter is you never know if the person who tried a sample just a minute or two before you didn't wash their hands. I also try never to open the door to bathroom with my barehands when I leave I use the papertowel I used to dry my hands and if they don't have a wastebasket by the door, then on the floor it goes. They'll get the hint.

Hugs, Joni
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde
      April 21, 2005 6:21 AM BST
  • Hi Joni and all the girls
    I do the same when leaving the the loo (or bathroom as you ole united states people say) hee hee, you are so cute.
    If there is no waste bin then the paper towel Ive used to open the door goes on the floor but I leave the loo with blushing cheeks and then the people I am with want to know what Ive been up to. ha ha.
    I have to say thats the only circumstances that I am a litter bug as I detest litter in the streets. So Im not all bad . ha ha.
    Hugs Dorothy xx
      April 21, 2005 10:29 PM BST
  • What I do is use the tissues they often have there and wipe the lipstick etc first to make sure I start with a clean palette. Hope that helps.

Stephenie :)
      September 26, 2009 8:22 AM BST