Is this a US thread idea? Sports bets!

• 2463 posts
    August 2, 2005 8:17 PM BST
    Punish her by taking away her nail polish, hose, and any body slimming garments.
    • 2463 posts
    June 27, 2005 2:24 PM BST
    Since the US girls here want some US-specific postings, let me try something here......

I'm really not a big sports fan, I do like to get into interesting bets with people. Right now I have a running bet with Kari over the Cubs/Brewers series, which picks up again this week. If the Cubs win the overall season series I get a pair of pantyhose of my choice. If the Brewers win, I buy Kari a new pair of pink bunny slippers (did I get that right, Kari?).

My mother-in-law lives in St. Louis, so we're always betting on the Cubs/Cardinals games. My now-former student assistant loves the White Sox, and I tried to get her to bet me on who would take the series that just concluded (I would have won, by the way).

So, is this USA enough?

So, US girls, anyone want to lay down some fun bets? Like who will take the NASCAR Nextel Cup? Will the Cubs make it to the playoffs?
  • June 28, 2005 7:53 PM BST
    Mere,

Yes. Pink bunny slippers. Size 11 please...

Sincerely Yours,

Kari
    xxxooo
    • 2463 posts
    June 28, 2005 8:28 PM BST
    Okay, now Gloria, you seem to be a little high on yourself at the minute. Let's make this interesting now, shall we? Now that Ball-Mer (I used to live in DC and that's what we liked to call you!) has that whiny Sammy Sosa, shall we see who has the better year?

I say Derrick Lee, and the Cubs, will do better than Sosa and the Broken Down Birds, uh, I mean, the Orioles. We can split this up into two separate bets.

So, are we on?
    • 1195 posts
    June 28, 2005 8:36 PM BST
    Mere - just wait till hockey resumes (if ever)
    I'm torn between the Red Wings and the Black Hawks - Growing up in NYC I don't approve of expansion teams. It also makes me feel cooler this time of year just to think about hockey.
    Mary Grace xxxx
    • 2463 posts
    June 28, 2005 8:44 PM BST
    I do like hockey, and have played it. Well, floor hockey, that is, but I was a great center. Never lost a face off EVER. I do like the Black Hawks. I find it hard to watch it on TV, though. While it's been about 14 years since I last went to a game, I wouldn't mind going again if the ticket prices weren't as large as the national debt.

Why no expansion teams? More rivalries!
    • 2463 posts
    June 28, 2005 8:55 PM BST
    Oh, dear, Cindy, you're not up on recent history, are you? The Red Sox played the Cubs in Wrigley field two weeks ago, and the Cubs won two out of three games. The Cubs scored almost 20 runs in the first two games alone.
    • 2463 posts
    June 29, 2005 12:25 AM BST
    Two things......

First, I didn't see the posting fast enough to take up Tiina on her bet. Whoops. And the U-word is okay because right now it's 6:23 in the evening.

Two, the Cubs are in second place as well. As for an old wig, well, what does it look like? I'm sure I can find something around here to put up.

We did like Sosa here for a while, but he did turn into a major crybaby. He even left a game early once for no reason. He tried to say he didn't, but security cameras caught him leaving the park while the game was going on. Quite frankly, the city doesn't miss him, neither does the team. Sometimes when a "superstar" leaves for another team, or retires, the papers still mention him. Sosa has been all but forgotten. And how the hell does someone like him get injured sneezing?

In all fairness, my wife once did a PSA, and he appeared in it. She did say he was very nice.
    • 2463 posts
    June 29, 2005 12:26 AM BST
    Two things......

First, I didn't see the posting fast enough to take up Tiina on her bet. Whoops. And the U-word is okay because right now it's 6:23 in the evening.

Two, the Cubs are in second place as well. As for an old wig, well, what does it look like? I'm sure I can find something around here to put up.

We did like Sosa here for a while, but he did turn into a major crybaby. He even left a game early once for no reason. He tried to say he didn't, but security cameras caught him leaving the park while the game was going on. Quite frankly, the city doesn't miss him, neither does the team. Sometimes when a "superstar" leaves for another team, or retires, the papers still mention him. Sosa has been all but forgotten. And how the hell does someone like him get injured sneezing?

In all fairness, my wife once worked on a Public Service Announcement where he appeared in it. She did say he was very nice.
    • 2627 posts
    June 29, 2005 12:31 AM BST
    Tiina hockey it is.
    RED WINGS Name your price.
    • 2463 posts
    June 29, 2005 1:04 AM BST
    Hey Gloria, a 1980's hair band just called and said they want their wig back.
    • 2627 posts
    July 6, 2005 12:01 PM BST
    Not in the closet is he.
    Keep your eye on the ball.
    ]
    I'd strike out everytime!