In a pub waiting for the bus

• April 26, 2004 5:44 AM BST
    Yesterday I was waiting for my bus in a pub. On sundays my bus runs only once an hour, it gave me 45 minutes to sit down, have a cider and read some newspapers. After a while I noticed that two guys moved from further away to my neighbouring table and started to give looks in my direction. I pretended not to see them. As I was close to leave for my bus, one of them asked if I have a husband or a boyfriend with me or if I´m alone in the pub. I answered quite rudely that it is none of your business. He said, you´re right, not my business, but such a beautiful woman certainly HAS a boyfriend. I wanted to say that I have a boyfriend, still taller than me (that is much!) and he is ready to beat you guys. But I just said I must get on my bus. And gave them one of my sweetest smiles. I guess I lack routine in this kind of situations....luckily I gain routine and confidence every day .

Laura
  • April 26, 2004 6:38 AM BST
    What is interesting, my voice obviously did not give me out this time. It must be the overall impression, what rules...

Laura
  • April 26, 2004 7:11 AM BST
    Yes, exactly so....

As I started to write in the internet years ago, everybody took me for a woman. No matter what the nick. I realized myself that I write like a woman...and I cannot write like a man. That was maybe the first step on my path leading to my real self. Exactly the same with the "real life". I cannot walk like a man, I cannot talk like a man.... and why should I?

Laura
  • April 26, 2004 7:39 AM BST
    Oh yes...I had that from September all the way to January. Full time except the office. But I noticed that I could not act as a male in the office either. It just did not work out. I had somewhat different clothes on, but inside it was the female me. And people noticed that...fortunately or unfortunately, I don´t know. I guess on the long run the hormones more or less force you to take your side. And you just cannot act against yourself any more.

Laura
    • 539 posts
    April 27, 2004 1:38 AM BST
    Do you ever have trouble with people on the bus? In the U.S., and especially in cities such as Salt Lake City where public transportation isn't that good, a high percentage of the riders belong to that segment of society which I like to call "The Great Unwashed" - in other words, the nastiest, smelliest elements of society. Some of them scare me. Fortunately, I seldom ride the bus or the train so I don't often encounter these people. I haven't ever ridden public transportation dressed, but my turn will be coming. The Utah State Democratic Convention on May 7 and 8 will be in downtown Salt Lake where parking is a nightmare, so I will ride the light rail train. Hopefully, I won't get hit on - I don't like that at all.

Laura, it sounds like you handled the situation well, and it definitely meant that you passed very well. Good luck on the bus.

Heather H.
  • April 27, 2004 5:35 AM BST
    I travel every single day in trains and buses...dressed. I´m always dressed, you see . So far, no problems. Sometimes people sitting beside or opposite me say something nice as "where have you bought so nice shoes?". Obviously I pass 100% in public transportation. In Finland people traveling in public transportation are just average employees. Additionally a great percentage of foreigners, though.
    I have never been yelled at in the street, only once a clearly nuts lady shouted to me " I know you, you whore". But she yelled at others, too. And even there I passed as a woman .

Laura