Eye Makeup

• 1980 posts
    September 5, 2005 1:22 AM BST
    Hi girls, I read this a few days ago and decided to try it. I can't remember where I read it, so I can't give credit where credit is due, sorry. Anyway it has to do with choosing colors for making up your eyes.

Everyone's eyes have little flecks of colors in them other than their primary color.. If you look carefully in a mirror, preferably in daylight, you will see all sorts of colors in your eyes. No, I don't mean the bloodshot parts after a night of partying, silly, I mean in the iris of your eye.<lol> Those are the colors you should use for your eye shadow and eye liner.

For instance my eyes are dark brown but have flecks of lighter brown and sort of dark greenish-gold in them. So the other night I chose a light brown, almost tan for the base color, a slightly darker brownish gold for the lids and a dark green for an accent along with an emerald colored liner. These are colors I probably would never have put together before.

Anyway, it looked great or at least I thought so. I may try some other shades or hues but will definitely stick with that color scheme in the future. Try it, you might like it.

Hugs...Joni
  • September 5, 2005 2:26 AM BST
    I have hazel eyes. Does this meen I have a huge range to choose from?
    • 1980 posts
    September 5, 2005 6:05 AM BST
    Hi Rhia-

You're lucky, I love hazel eyes. And I would think it would give you a lot of choices. Maybe golds and greens would look nice. Along with blues and sand colors. I bet you could have a lot of fun.

Hugs...Joni
    • 1980 posts
    September 5, 2005 5:25 PM BST
    Hi Sarah-

You are so very welcome, girl.

Hmm, I was just thinking [no, Wendy, it didn't hurt...well, not much<lol>], I belong to a Yahoo group called MAC_Cosmetics and as you might guess it's for women who like MAC makeup. One of the things they do is have what they call FOTD (Face of the Day). It's not really a competition or anything but girls post different looks they have come up with using MAC and post pictures. It's kind of inspirational since some of them get kind of out there as far as trying different looks. Some are really neat and some are just wild.

Maybe we could start a little something like that here on the TW makeup board. It means closeups, something I'm not totally comfortable with, I think I look better from a distance, like a quarter mile or so.<lol> But since it's just us girls and we're all friends....

So whaddaya think? Should I post this as a seperate thread and see if there are any responses? Would anyone else like to mess around with makeup and try different looks? We can do critique of each other, in a nice way of course, and maybe all learn a thing or two. Just a thought.

Hugs...Joni
    • 1980 posts
    September 5, 2005 5:45 PM BST
    Wow, Sarah, that was fast!<lol> Okay, well since you like the idea, that's good enough for me. If it's okay with you, I'll post a new thread here and maybe on the General board and we'll officially launch the TW FOTD. Maybe we should call it something else, though, I hate to just totally steal ideas from other sites. Maybe the TW Face to Face Makeup Thread or something like that, that's not quite it, maybe someone will come up with something cute to call it.

Hugs...Joni
  • September 7, 2005 8:57 PM BST
    Hi All,

check out the web site at

http://www.seventeen.com/beauty

They have several videos on applying makeup, hair techniques, etc...

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 1980 posts
    September 9, 2005 7:50 PM BST
    AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

I was at a friend of mine's house last night for some girltime and thought I would take some pix to add to this thread and my makeup just looked awful! The more I tried the worse I made it. It looked like somebody had been shooting makeup-paintballs at me from 30 feet away. <sigh> I don't get it...somedays I can do makeup with nary a thought and it looks just great and other times it's like I stuck my face in my makeup bag and went "wugga-wugga-wugga".

Oh well, I'll be back over at her house in a couple of days, maybe it'll go better then.

Whoops, almost forgot to add, thanks Michelle and Gloria for the link. My gosh doesn't the girl with the Halloween makeup on have the prettiest eyes?

Hugs...Joni
    • 124 posts
    September 9, 2005 9:24 PM BST
    hi girls, i have hazel eyes but ive read that at my age i should avoid blues and certain other colours, one thing ive never bin able to do, is blend, perhaps maybe wen i go out again, one of u girls could show me how do to it, i would be grateful.
    • 1980 posts
    September 9, 2005 10:38 PM BST
    Hi Fay-

As far as blending, I've used my finger tip and also Q-Tips and even a makeup sponge cut so the end isn't so wide. Rules about what color to wear or not wear to me are rules just begging to be broken. If you want to wear something and it looks good on you, then the heck with the rules. I've read lots of pronouncements that blue is out or passe or whatever, but yesterday I was a MAC counter and the girl there had the most outrageous blue eyeshadow thing going and she looked hot. I would guess she was maybe in her early 30's, no kid but not an old lady like me either.

I really wanted to talk to her about how she did it, the layers weren't blended at all but rather sharply defined and very definite but they were way busy, so maybe I'll catch her some other time.

If you want to see someone who really has fun with eye shadow and eye makeup, here's a link for a girl from Canada named Kathleen Ellis. She and I have emaile off and on in the past and she is just the neatest person. I also think she's cute as can be. When you go to her site, look in the upper left corner where it says M.A.C. Make-Up and click on "create". When that page opens click on "MY LOOKS" and then just pick any date to see her pix. The looks range from mild to just outrageous but her technique is always really good.

Anyway, she has inspired me many times to try different things and to get away from the old only two or maybe three colors on your eyes thing. Have fun!

Hugs...Joni

Whoops, almost forgot, here's the link:

http://www.leenybeeny.com
    • 124 posts
    September 10, 2005 12:36 AM BST
    wow Joni, thanks hun, thats brill, i will check it out tom wen im more awake