Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » Politicians and street names

Politicians and street names

Tags : None
  • I remember walking through Lisbon one night in 1988 and noticing how many streets were named about famous events or political leaders. Not something we go in for much in the UK. I think this is a shame as I like the idea of commemorating political leaders who have achieved something worth remembering.

So to start this thread off, here is a picture of "Gordon Brown Place" in the small fishing town of Mallaig on the west coast of Scotland. Gordon Brown is, of course, a Scotsman, and the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the Blair government. Widely tipped to be the next Prime Minister when Blair eventually stands down. What his connection is with Mallaig, I have absolutely no idea.

September 6, 2005 11:11 PM BST
  • Being politically active in the past, when I was young and foolish and believed politics and democracy counted for something, I remember being struck while living in Italy by the politicisation of the place names. I was residing in via Gramsci, my friend in via Matteotti. Also when visiting Turin, though it may have been Milan, I recall walking past the Anarchist club. It had a flag outside, I simply walked in, looked around, got talking to people, it was great. A little further down the same road was the Communist club with a very grand Hammer and Sickle banner adorning its frontispiece, they were a little less friendly. For someone who hails from a country where the local Conservative club is merely a convenient place to play snooker, and the Working Mens' Club ( sadly dying out in the south-east ) a venue for cheap beer, it was quite an eye-opener. People discussed politics with an earnestness that could make one weep. Not the usual lairy, boozed up, narrow-minded series of small town prejudices I was used to. I am so glad now, however, that my desires outweigh my interests. Still always up for balanced intellectual discourse though. Love, Porscha xxx
    Porscha
      November 7, 2006 12:01 AM GMT
  • Porscha--

Maybe I'm old-fashioned in this respect, or perhaps a bit naive, but I still believe my vote counts for something.

Even if that something is my displeasure with the current crop of idiots, some of whom I think we re-elect to keep them out of town or out of state.

Here, we not only put up street names of the great politicians, but others who were not so great but someone felt they needed a street named after them.

Then there's the "politically correct" street names. I won't mention any by name, but almost every town has to have one, if you know what I mean....

Luv 'n hugs anyway,

Mina Sakura
    Living as the woman I am!
      November 7, 2006 3:11 PM GMT
  • It's not old fashioned, darling; and it's good to believe. Sadly I lost my faith long ago, not just in politics and democracy but many things. It does concern me though when cabals are elected to power on 40% or less of those eligible to vote. Democracy, supposedly the will of the people, then becomes merely a very narrow and tightly controlled form of representative politics open to manipulation and prey to corruption. I do recognise here that British and American democracy is very different. I don't vote and have been criticised often as a result - if I don't participate in the franchise how can I complain at its outcome. But then should I compromise my principles by participating in a process I fundamentally disagree with? A big question this, isn't it. Take care. Love, Porscha xxx
    Porscha
      November 7, 2006 6:13 PM GMT