Ford's Anti Gay Stance

• 2627 posts
    December 6, 2005 6:49 PM GMT
    Ford's announced they are pulling thier Jaguar & Land Rover
    ads from any magazines that cater to gay or lesbian people.
    This was in todays paper. It also says that Ford, Mercury, & Lincoln models do not advertise in any gay mags & do not plan to ever do so.

Though I'm not gay myself I'm glad I bought a Chevy.

Go to http://www.freep.com click on front page to read this if you are intrested.
    • 2068 posts
    December 6, 2005 11:45 PM GMT
    Karen...to me that's just blatant bigotry and discrimination on fords part, i cannot say i am surprised one bit. This is just big business's attitude to the gay/bi/lesbian/transgendered communities at large. but you know what ford actually stands for here in the UK......Fixed Or Repaired Daily hehehe

Love & xxxxxxxx Anna-Marie
    • 588 posts
    December 7, 2005 12:38 AM GMT
    Hm.

Buy Ford, Be a Coward...

Linda
    • 539 posts
    December 7, 2005 2:14 AM GMT
    "Fixed or repaired daily" is popular here too!

My current car is a Subaru, and Subaru is known for being gay-friendly - I'm glad I bought it; it has worked well and it is fuel efficient. I wouldn't buy a Ford (or many other American cars, for that matter) anyway because they have poor fuel efficiency and poor reliability. If big business caves in to a boycott by an extremist Christian group, then perhaps they will cave in to a boycott by the GLBT community. On average, we are probably more affluent than extremist Christians anyway and might have more purchasing power than they do. If it is going to come to a war of boycotts, then I am perfectly willing to join in on the GLBT side. There is more power in our community than many people realize.

Heather Harrison
    • 2463 posts
    December 7, 2005 2:18 AM GMT
    This is hardly unusual for Ford. Remember your history. Henry Ford himself helped to promote anti-semitism.
    • 2463 posts
    December 7, 2005 2:37 AM GMT
    Ford would claim he was duped into the anti-semitic rhetoric. Not much to say for a man who claimed to have a handle on everything.

While he did in fact try to make cars affordable for the ordinary person, God help the Ford employee who showed up for work in anything other than a Ford.

He also resisted change for years, making the same car over and over, and in the same color (you can have any color you like, as long as it's black). It was people like the Dodge Brothers, and other auto makers who came out with new models every year, who forced Ford to pull his head from his butt and move forward. Ford also subjected his car dealers to the most unfair practices, forcing them to buy his entire inventory whether they could afford it or not.

The $5 a day salary he promoted and advertised was also a joke. In order to actually earn that much an employee was subjected to the most intrusive scrutiny by his company. The employee still earned their regular daily pay, about $2.67, and if they passed all investigations they finally received their bonus.

I won't even go into the thugs he hired to assault labor leaders, or any other person who had the audacity to want to improve their lives through something stupid called a living wage.
    • 2463 posts
    December 8, 2005 2:06 PM GMT
    Not to split hairs here, Tiina, but having access to news and utilizing that access are two different things. Sure, word may very well get out, but who's to say anyone will notice? How prominently will Ford's stance be known? I didn't even know about it until I saw it posted here.

But that's here. I haven't seen what sort of stories make prominence in Europe. Here I knew more about Eddie Van Halen's divorce or Jennifer Aniston's topless photos than Ford's anti-gay stance.

Simply put, Ford's refusal to advertise in GLBT publications may not exactly be interesting news to any news service. To me, it would be more of a sidebar than a headline. Not to say that's right, mind you.
    • 1980 posts
    December 8, 2005 3:24 PM GMT
    Hi All-

I consider it a totally cynical move on Ford's part and a unfortunate and cowardly concession to the bullying and hatefulness of the right wing, extremist religious zealots. To be honest, I don't think they really express the feelings of a vast majority of Americans, but they are highly organized, extremely vocal and they get out and vote. Something we need to do also.

For what it's worth, the Human Rights Campaign http://www.hrc.org/ has organized an email campaign to Ford Motor Company. However, I received a notice this morning that the email I sent failed, I have to assume that FMC has blocked emails from this group. I will be sending an email personally to them and will also let HRC know that my email bounced. I urge everyone to take just a minute or two and send off an email expressing your unhappiness (if you aren't you should be) with Ford's stance and to let them know that we have a voice also.

On a personal and rather minor note, I am the now-not-so-proud owner of a Mustang. I am loathe to part with it, so I guess all I can do for now is put an HRC sticker and a rainbow sticker on the back window. Maybe I'll go ahead and get that license plate I've been wanting, the one that says "TGRL". Or maybe I'll just sell the damn thing. Curse Ford Motor Company anyway!

Hugs...Joni
    • 588 posts
    December 9, 2005 9:57 AM GMT
    I agree, Zoe. Anti-gay may be a bit too harsh. Judging from the article at www.freep.com it does in fact look like Ford may have provoked the AFA by taking a pro-gay stance:

Earlier this year, Ford, General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler AG pledged $250,000 each to a new gay community center in Ferndale. Ford also donated up to $1,000 per vehicle to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance against Defamation for each Jaguar or Land Rover bought by a member of the group. All three Detroit automakers recognize same-sex partners in benefits packages to employees. Moran said he was not aware of any changes in Ford's donations to gay groups.

And with the attack from AFA they lost their nerves. The general problem still remains though: The large number of bigoted rightwing "christians".

Linda
    • 1980 posts
    December 9, 2005 2:40 PM GMT
    Thank you, Zoe and Linda, it's good to hear some followup on this and get a bit of FMC's replies to their critics. Certainly I joined the sprint in a rush to perhaps too hastily condemn the company. As you said, we shall see. Besides it allows me to continue to drive my Mustang with my head held high and my rainbow sticker sparkling in the sun.<g>

Hugs...Joni
    • 1083 posts
    December 9, 2005 4:17 PM GMT
    Hi all--

Ford. GM. Chrysler. FEH!

I don't care where they advertise, 'cause in my opinion they're all junk.

I'll take my fuel efficient little Nissan, or a Toyota or Honda any day.

See, my thing is why buy a car solely based on what/where/how it's advertised? I buy my car based on mileage and reliability. And sadly enough, the "Big 3" haven't figured that out...yet .

I can't afford to pay through the schnozz (and I have a big enough one, thanks! ) for something I will need to repair on a continuing basis, and that gets something akin to 8 gallons to the mile. (Or 10 liters to the KM, your choice.)

Nobody says you have to buy a Ford, luvs. Tell them why you aren't! Write them letters, and sign your femme name to them. E-mail them from here. Be specific, but be nice. No fair telling them that they are any kind of four-letter words.

If Ford wants to yanks ads based on whatever, that's their business, however. I don't see this as pandering to the right, the left, or anywhere but their pocketbook. Since I don't care much for Fords anyway, this is just one more reason to not buy one.

Long live the sake-suckers!

Luv 'n (good natured) hugs

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 1083 posts
    December 9, 2005 6:48 PM GMT
    Tiina--

Oh, sure...rag on me about not having great public transportation!

Must be nice...!

Still, if I can get some boytoy to drive me....

Mina Sakura
    • 1980 posts
    December 10, 2005 3:56 PM GMT
    Hi All-

Not withstanding Minako's replly regarding the virtues of imported cars, a topic of endless bar debates, which perhaps we can discuss over a pitcher of Margaritas sometime, Minako.<G> Purchasing a car from another maker really only postpones the issue. The AFA and others of their ilk will never be satisfied with just a few ads pulled here and there, it's only a small step in their agenda.

After some research of my own, I can only conclude that FMC did indeed withdraw their ads as a sop to the AFA. I hope no one minds but I have included the text of an article regarding the matter. Yes, it is from The Advocate and hence, perhaps, biased. I also am rather amused by the stance taken by the AFA in the last paragraph of the article. A little conciliation is never enough for a bully.

Jaguar, Land Rover ads halted in gay media, Ford confirms

The antigay American Family Association claimed a cultural victory on Thursday and called off its threatened boycott of Ford Motor Co. On Friday, Ford spokesman Mike Moran confirmed to Advocate.com that the company will stop advertising its Jaguar and Land Rover brands in gay publications but insisted it was strictly a business decision.

The Dearborn, Mich., automaker came under fire from the AFA in May for its longtime efforts to increase LGBT workplace diversity and support gay rights causes. Ford has long been a regular advertiser within gay media, including The Advocate, and has donated significant sums to LGBT causes and nonprofit groups such as the Human Rights Campaign.

Threatened with a boycott by the Mississippi-based AFA, Ford and some of its dealers agreed to negotiate, and the AFA announced in June that it would hold off on its planned action. On Thursday, AFA announced the boycott would be canceled altogether.

"They've heard our concerns; they are acting on our concerns. We are pleased with where we are," said Donald Wildmon, AFA’s chairman, in a statement. "Obviously there are still some small matters of difference, as people will always have, but generally speaking, we are pleased with the results—and therefore the boycott that had been suspended [is] now officially ended."

Specific terms of any formal agreement between the AFA and Ford—and whether any such agreement has in fact been reached—remain unclear.

When first contacted, Ford spokesman Moran referred Advocate.com to the AFA statement, suggesting that the company had no disagreement with Wildmon's assertions. In a second conversation he confirmed that the company would no longer advertise Jaguar and Land Rover products in the gay media, saying that the decision was strictly "business."

"In all cases, we review this issue from a business perspective in regards to advertising," Moran said. "Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury [brands] did not advertise in gay publications anyway. At this time, Jaguar and Land Rover will not do so going forward.” He added that Volvo will still advertise in gay publications because the company believes it's an effective strategy for that market.

Detroit carmakers are facing tough economic times across the board, Moran pointed out. On Friday, The Wall Street Journal reported that Ford plans to shut five North American plants that employ 7,500 workers. On Thursday, the company said its total U.S. vehicle sales in November fell by 15%.

Moran would not give further details on any agreement between Ford and the AFA, nor would he confirm that such an agreement existed. “Some months ago we began a constructive dialogue with them, just as we do with all other customers and interest groups," he said. "While we don’t agree on all issues, we expect the dialogue to continue so that we understand each other better.”

According to a list of demands on AFA’s Web site, the organization insisted that Ford and all of its brands stop donating cash, vehicles, and endorsements to gay social activities. This includes donations to pride celebrations and groups such as the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Human Rights Campaign, and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. AFA says those groups have received contributions from Ford in the past.

Whether such sponsorship deals—in which Ford brands are given visibility by nonprofit groups and at LGBT events in return for donations—will continue, Moran could not say.

Comment on Ford's announcement is expected soon from HRC, GLAAD, and the Task Force over the weekend or early next week, but none was prepared to make a statement by close of business on Friday.

The AFA has said it reserves the right to reinstate the boycott if it feels Ford has not met its expectations. (Advocate.com/Sirius OutQ News)

Hugs...Joni

Associated Press material © Associated Press. All rights reserved. No material may be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    • 1083 posts
    December 12, 2005 7:28 PM GMT
    Joni--

Hey, that's the part I must've missed. My bad.

The AFA is a little better than a bully pulpit for forcing someone's ideas of cultural correctness on us. And while I freely admit to holding certain theological positions, I find it distasteful that this group--which has a long history of boycotting corporations that disagree with it--has the gall to take a sruggling corporation and tell it where it can and cannot advertise.

Whose concept of "family" do they use? A man, a woman, two point five kids and a collie? Even were I the more genetic male-type, that still woudln't cover me--no kids, and I dislike dogs. (Yes, I'm cat people. Get over it.)

Can we boycott the AFA?

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    • 1980 posts
    December 13, 2005 3:00 PM GMT
    Hi Minako-

So are we still on for splitting a pitcher of margaritas sometime?<lol> I found an article yesterday somewhere online, can't remember exactly but it was linked through Slate magazine, about a GLBT group appealing (not bullying, no threats of boycotts or angry pitchfork waving, torch tossing mobs outside corporate HQ) to FMC to reinstate their ads. FMC's reply was that they did it strictly due to business considerations and had been planning it all along, so there.

We, not the royal we, I mean the wife and I, are planning on buying a new car sometime in the coming year or so. How Ford motor company handles this will make a difference with whether we buy from them or some other maker. And believe me, I will let them know why either way.

Merry Christmas, Minako and best wishes from my family including all five cats.<g>

Hugs...Joni
    • 1083 posts
    December 13, 2005 5:22 PM GMT
    Joni--

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, from the SO, myself, and our four cats--since the cats ae too young to drive, we will have to drive them ourselves.

Anytime for drinks, sugah--just let me know!

Mina
    • 2627 posts
    December 13, 2005 5:32 PM GMT
    There was another artical today in the Freep stating what Joni said on the 10th.Had it been presented this way to begin with it could have save themselves a lot of bad PR.
    It went on to say that no 1 group will tell them to exclude another. It went on to say that gay mags have smaller circulations & that they want thier money to reach as many people as they can.

I can except that.
    • 2627 posts
    December 15, 2005 8:34 PM GMT
    FMC has announced they will advertise thier full line of cars & trucks in gay mags. They will also distance themselves from AFA.
    • 1980 posts
    December 18, 2005 4:47 PM GMT
    Hi Karen-

One more post here, not trying to keep this thread alive past its allotted life span, but I just wanted to say thanks to you for posting the update. I read about it on another Yahoo group (transgender news group) and was going to print off the response from Ford in its entirety, but no need, you summed it up perfectly. Thanks.

Hugs...Joni