Zoladex and progesterone

• 1652 posts
    June 5, 2006 11:50 AM BST
    I recently went for my second appointment at Charing Cross gender clinic, where arrangements were made for me to start receiving prescriptions on the NHS. I currently take 4mg Estrofem and 3mg Oestrogel per day, and 100mg micronised progesterone for 10 days per month. Although I haven’t spoken directly to the endocrinologist yet, it was suggested that my prescription would be likely to include Zoladex (goserelin) injections, an anti-androgen, while my estradiol dose would be reduced. Zoladex is something I know little about, so wondered if anyone had any experience with it.
    There seems to be two schools of thought on the anti-androgen issue: one that says its usage is essential to keep oestrogen at as low a dose as possible (pre-op of course), and one that says a moderate dose of oestrogen alone will keep testosterone levels well within the female range. Having spent a year taking spironolactone (not classed as an anti-androgen but with anti-androgenic side-effects), and over a year on estradiol alone, I’m tending towards the second school of thought, reinforced by my blood tests which show testo to be very low indeed without the use of any anti-androgen. Feminisation results so far and my health in general seem to be fine; I’d even say I actually feel better without the Spiro. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it as they say…
    Zoladex being I think a 3-monthly injection means it’s not something you can immediately stop if any problems arise, and I have one or two concerns about its use and possible effects on me. So if anyone can tell me anything about it I’d be most grateful.
    The NHS also don’t believe progesterone has any place in TS hormone treatment, whereas I feel it has done wonders for me, (some say it is essential alongside oestrogen for good breast development, plus having many other benefits) how can I persuade them otherwise?
    I did agree with the comment made to me at my appointment that, “We have to find the regime that suits your individual needs”, but having already spent 2 years doing this I’m not entirely happy with being experimented on. Of course I’m prepared to compromise on that, but not if it’s going to set me back with my development, which at present I‘m entirely happy with.
    Any thoughts anyone?!
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    June 28, 2006 2:49 AM BST
    Well of course Googling it was the first thing I did, it being something I wasn’t familiar with.
    Amongst other things it is used to treat various cancers, and does so by stopping the production of testosterone in men and oestrogen in women (through its action on the pituitary gland), so there is some logic in its use as an anti-androgen. Whether it is a good choice or not is what I’d like to determine.
    I’ve heard it’s a fairly new thing to CX’s hormone regime, but I’m sure I wouldn’t be the first to be prescribed it. I must say though, I’ve never seen it’s use mentioned anywhere for feminisation purposes. I will certainly have a good chat with my GP before I let him administer it.
    Has anyone out there ever come across it’s use in this way before?
    • 3 posts
    April 1, 2007 3:33 PM BST
    Hi, Lucy,
    I have a few friends attending cx and they too are taking zoladex, I suppose it has less impact on the liver and you dont have to worry about missing a dose since its an injectable. CX stopped prescribing Androcur/cypterone acetate, due to some patients reporting depression. I must personally admit that one of my friends that was on Androcur and was moved over onto Zoladex doesnt look as good. plus there is a problem of waiting for the next injection and the previous one wearing out too soon. Like all things try it and see if it works for you? at least you wont forget to take it like a pill.
    good luck
    ps
    I agree on the subject of progesterone, and if you look on the gender trusts website unless they have removed it, they too recommend progestrone to help in breast development.

huggs
    KAt
    • 1652 posts
    April 2, 2007 1:14 AM BST
    Hi Kat, thanks for your comments on this.
    I made the original post in this thread 10 months ago and now better understand the system for receiving prescriptions on the NHS, ie it’s not much of a system at all. I’ve had 4 appointments at CX now and every time they say they will send specific instructions to my GP on what to prescribe, but they never do. So I discuss with him what they’ve discussed with me and we basically decide between us…
    As for the Zoladex thing, I told my GP at my next appointment that CX had recommended Zoladex, he wasn’t at all keen on that, looked at my blood tests and said that it doesn’t seem necessary given my testo levels (in the lower natal female range). I had to agree, I wasn’t keen either, so I’ve still not had any anti-androgens since stopping Spiro. I still believe I don’t need them, hoping to get my latest blood test results soon.
    I have since heard of other TS’s using Zoladex (goserelin acetate), not just on the NHS, it sounds like a pretty comprehensive way of stopping testo production (after an initial increase), but since I’m hopefully only a few months away from SRS I’m not going to bother with it, or any other AA.
    As for progesterone, I just buy that myself. If you try and discuss the merits of taking it with the people at CX they just put their hand over their ears and go, “la la la I’m not listening…”!
    You can read about how goserelin works here
    This site doesn’t mention it’s usage by TS’s but you can see how it lowers testo.
    xx