Who speaks for us?

• February 25, 2007 11:45 PM GMT
    Are there any pressure groups or organisations that speak up for the rights of transgendered people? I can't think of any in the UK. There are no political figures who are openly TG. In fact there are very few people in the public eye generally who are TG - Claire Perry and Eddie Izzard are the only two I can think of.

I mean organisations that are TG-focused, not those who speak for a wider range of people including TGs. For example the Lesbian & Gay Christian Movement (LGCM). As its title suggests, this organisation campaigns on behalf of lesbian and gay Christians. I had an email exchange with its secretary, the Rev Richard Kirker, in which he assured me that it was supportive of bi and trans people as well. But there is nothing at all in its mission statement or any of its literature to show that.

What political interest I have seen is in the transsexual aspect. For example whether TG people (such as April Ashley) should be allowed to change their birth certificates to record their female identity. Transvestism doesn't get a look in. Maybe that's because TVs already have all the political rights they want. Their constraint is societal not political.

One day, the right to wear the clothes of the opposite gender will be accepted in full. Then the massed ranks of TGs will come out of the closet and celebrate the achievement of normal status. The clothes we wear will be seen as no more than an expression of personal taste (or, in some cases, the lack of taste). I hope this happens before I die.
    • 1652 posts
    March 1, 2007 2:00 AM GMT
    I believe Press For Change is a UK based group that supports all forms of gender diversity. Have a look at their website, see if they are trying to do the things you want to be done.
    I think the “TS movement” for want of a better term, is bound to have more momentum, political or otherwise, because TV’s seem to be more likely to be in the closet.
    If you really want to see change, the question has to be, what are you going to do about it? Not, what is someone else going to do on your behalf?
    I do think Eddie Izzard is brilliant though!
    Oh, and as for April Ashley, under the new laws she can now opt for a fast-track application for a Gender Recognition Certificate, if she hasn’t already done so, which will allow her to get a new birth certificate stating she was born female.
    xx
  • April 6, 2007 6:21 PM BST
    In the U.S. I don't know of any, but I'm sure there are some. I wish they would to infront of the U.S. Congress for a TG bill of rights and antidrescrimion laws strictly for TG folk (weather your a CD/TV/TS/ or other TG's) IT NEEDS TO BE DONE THROUGH THE U.S. CONGRESS AND NOT STATE BY STATE. I know I may be shouting a bit and i'm sorry if I am; and I do know the U.S. congress and GW congress may pass it and GW refuse it, or it may just die in commity but I think we need to try for the top and not at the bottom lever (I lnow you have to start some where and you can't start @ the top but why not try anyway). These are my thaught on the matter here in the states. If anyone has any other thaughts or ideas the please by all means let's hear them maybe someone will read our ideas and thaughts and start geting something done (more than what we are doing now I know it's a slow process but maybe we can get congress off their highflution duffs and get something done for the TG community).
    • 448 posts
    April 7, 2007 7:36 PM BST
    All political lobby groups have their own agenda and it does not necessarily reflect ours. We have a Muslim Council of Britain that claims to represent and speak for all muslims, does it? Politics in a democracy is all about compromise, we cannot compromise because we are who we are. I don't want anyone speaking for me or lobbying on my behalf. Organisations like this is where we do are lobbying. By banding together, by being visible and true to one another is both our defence and our weapon. Once the powers that be see that it benefits them to cultivate our support they will come to us. In answer to your final question; no we will never be accepted, minorities are never accepted merely tolerated.
    • 773 posts
    April 7, 2007 8:23 PM BST
    There are numerous advocacy and political action groups worldwide working toward the cause of transgender equality, but when push comes to shove, we must speak for ourselves, one tranny at a time.