Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » USA Forum » The Riches' TG child

The Riches' TG child

Tags : None
  • The new television series THE RICHES includes an interesting twist. The youngest is transgendered. He likes to wear girl's clothes. In one of the trailers for the show, his mother gently gives him the choice to live in their new identity as either a boy or a girl, but he must stick to his choice while they impersonate the Riches family. The show seems to be taking a very sympathetic approach. The male lead in the show is Eddie Izzard, a British stand-up comic, actor and crossdresser. Hopefully he will act as a pressure on the show to keep that approach.

I missed the first episode, but it sounds like this show could be a real boon to generating transgender sympathy and understanding in the US.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      March 19, 2007 10:56 AM GMT
  • Well, the show has stayed true to it's sympathetic approach to TGs. Sam is just a kid who sometimes expresses his femme side. When he does, the show is sensitive, treating it as a serious, human experience. Even though others on the show respond uncomfortably at times.... it's not treated as a joke. Tonight's show was better than usual. As Sam got ready for a dinner party, dressed in a suit, you cold see he was quite uncomfortable. "It's just a barrette.", he said. Then he picked up a lipstick. Shortly he arrived at the dinner table, completely en femme. Family, guests and dad's boss were there. The boss asked who the pretty, young lady was and where his second son was. "This is my son." Wow! True, they didn't really "out" Sam. They did do a cover story... but that moment was awesome. Not once has Sam's gender identity been the butt of a crude joke. Sam is a sweet, gentle, clever kid.

The show is not bad either. If you haven't been watching it, it's worth a look. I don't like most television and I never miss The Riches. Fortunately it's on about 4-5 times a week on different nights.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      May 8, 2007 9:12 AM BST
  • I really hope this show makes it onto English telly sometime. I'm a big fan of Eddie Izzard, he's probably the funniest stand-up comedian I've ever seen, and one has to admire him for reminding the British public that men wearing women's clothes is completely normal.
    xx
      May 8, 2007 12:17 PM BST
  • I just heard about this show and it sounds like it's going to be a hit! Eddie Izzard is actually coming up to Canada to promote the show before it's Canadian premiere this Wednesday on Showcase at 10 pm Eastern. It sounds like Eddie will also be dressing up in later episodes...guess it would be hard for him not to at some point in the show

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
      May 8, 2007 1:06 PM BST
  • Dawn really likes this show and DVR's it whenever it is on. Lately I've been to busy and been without a television as well to watch it religiously.

I loooove Eddie Izzard too - I'm not a fan of crude/vulgar humor and I like him because he doesn't do that (often lol). (also love love love Bill Santiago!!) "We'll set up the psychotic bastard religion! so why don't you call it the church of England?" "and the colors this spring are...with polish to match! And this rather reminds me of our Lord Jesus..." !!! love Mr. Izzard!

Wendy, I think you're absolutely right, this show will definately be a step in the right direction for the U.S.A. I think that is an excellent point they're making by not letting Sam be a joke. Perhaps just a little more acceptance and tolerance will come of this community thanks to Sam/The Riches.

I recently went through a GLBTQ training to be an Ally and one comment from the presenter really stuck with me: "An honest belief that everyone is a human being and therefore deserves respect, to be treated fairly, and with dignity is the foundation of what it means to be an Ally." (ally=friend to the GLBTQ community) My hope and my goal is to spread this thinking to everyone who will listen and perhaps shows and characters like The Riches and Sam will make people more open to the idea in the U.S.
      May 8, 2007 3:30 PM BST
  • Lucy,

Of course, I knew this scene would be particularly meaningful to you. It certainly brought you into my mind as I watched it. Perhaps that is why it was so emotionally moving for me. Sam went to her dinner the way she was meant to
      May 8, 2007 4:02 PM BST