Grayson spotting

• July 30, 2007 11:22 PM BST
    Maybe there should be a forum dedicated to all those people in public life who have the courage to be open about their TG selves. It wouldn't have too many members. In fact, apart from Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard, I can't think of anyone.

So this thread is to celebrate Grayson's contribution to a new photography exhibition - see http://arts.guardian.co.u[...]00.html in today's Guardian. The only photograph of Grayson himself (herself?) shows Grayson's alter ego Claire sitting on a couch surrounded by a bunch of male and female (but not obviously TG) vicars. It's a weird picture which perhaps reflects Grayson's own rather strange outlook on the world. And it's nice that at least part of the Church of England has decided to give Grayson its blessing.
  • July 31, 2007 12:41 AM BST
    I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting Richard (O'Brien?). Is he another public figure who is out? Sometimes I wish I was out. Transylvania or not.
    • 448 posts
    August 1, 2007 5:31 PM BST
    That's the Alternative Miss World, I believe, but I may be wrong. As for the Church of England giving its blessing to cross dressing, I think not. They can't even come to terms with gays amongst their own clergy, let alone congregation. But who gives a damn. My lot are even worse. They can all rot in the Hell they created. If I've offended anyone then please forgive me, isn't that what you do. " Do I disappoint you or leave a bad taste in your mouth." It's ok I'm gilded with honey, no matter what they say. Crikey . . . oops!
    • 126 posts
    August 1, 2007 7:51 PM BST

Well done Catherine!

It was Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard that inspired me to get out in public.

For Greyson to turn up at an award event dressed as a little girl, and for Eddy Izzard to risk his career by coming out, took a huge amount of courage from them both.

They have truly inspired me tbh
    • 1652 posts
    August 2, 2007 12:24 AM BST
    How famous do you have to be? I play in a band, in public, do I count?
    Here’s a few off the top of my head:
    Nadia - winner of Big Brother
    April Ashley - model
    Mianne Bagger - golfer
    Dana International (don’t know her real name, think it’s something like Sharon!) - Eurovision winner
    Um, yes it is difficult to think of many isn’t it.
    I believe that anyone who is out and about will encourage others who might otherwise feel they have to hide in the shadows all their lives. Although I don’t think it had a direct influence on me, I was pleasantly shocked to hear Eddie Izzard talking so candidly about his own crossdressing, maybe it helped me just a little bit. The night Nadia won Big Brother was the night I came out to the first of my friends. We watched the final together and I took the opportunity to explain, “I’m like Nadia…”
    Having someone there on the screen helped me to get the words out (I’d planned to do it anyway, without realising it was the BB final), and perhaps helped my friend to accept that people could be TS and still be popular. The documentary that got a mention in these forums called “Lucy, teen transsexual” featured a girl who’d been inspired by Nadia not just to come out, but to actually realise what it meant to be TS; she saw Nadia on telly, and everything clicked into place.
    Certainly, in this country, TG exposure in the media is a good thing, and gone are the days of shock, horror headlines. Public TG figures inspire and encourage others, and help the masses come to accept us.
    xx
    • 2573 posts
    August 2, 2007 3:12 AM BST
    Have we already forgotten Steve Stanton of Largo, Florida?

http://www.associatedcont[...]ne.html
    • 1912 posts
    August 2, 2007 11:08 AM BST
    I agree 100% Wendy. Steve Stanton's story literally saved my marriage and allowed my wife to fully accept me being TS. If it wasn't for all the comments made to the MSNBC.com story, only God knows where I would be now. So in my own personal way I will always be indebted to him.
    • 2573 posts
    August 2, 2007 11:15 AM BST
    Whoops! My bad, Marsha, it is now Susan Stanton and "her", officially.
    • 2017 posts
    August 2, 2007 8:09 PM BST
    I'm thinking along the same lines as Lucy here. Let's also not forget all the 'ordinary' TG girls who have had the courage to come out and be who they want to be, without being able to hide behind their celebrity status as protection from the real world. These are the girls I take my inspiration from.

Nikki
    • 2127 posts
    August 2, 2007 9:50 PM BST
    Welcome back Catherine. On the subject of Grayson Perry, I just thought you may all be interested to know that our own Cerys Connor interviewed her for The Tranny Tribune back in December 2004.

Here's the link if you'd like to read it:

http://gendersociety.com/[...]c.shtml

Nearly all of our Tranny Tribunes are still available in our archive, almost all the way back to the first issue (and some of them are quite embarrassing). The archive is here:

http://gendersociety.com/[...]e.shtml

Hope that's useful.

Hugs,

Katie x