A handy gadget for voice training...

• 2017 posts
    September 30, 2007 9:24 PM BST
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before and it may sound a little odd but if you want to practise getting your voice right, (and if you are out regularly or full time then you should be, since it is a horrible give away), try using your mobile phone. It needs to be one with a camera though.

We all know that we sound worse on the phone than in face to face situations as well so this is a double whammy!

Just use the video option to record your voice and then play it back and be honestly critical about it. You can do this pretty much anywhere, at home, in the car, outside etc, and since you are likely to have your phone with you most of the time it makes it ideal.

I have been trying this over the weekend, just recording short messages every now and then and I can already hear the difference. And if you want a second opinion, send it to a friend to see what they think.

This really works girls.

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    October 1, 2007 9:15 AM BST
    I find that singing along to something helps too Dani but wasn't sure what I actually sounded like when just having a normal conversation you know. I thought I was ok ish but this has made me step up a gear. Plus I realised that I either still had a bit of a 'rumble' or I was a little too falsetto, but slowly I am getting it worked out now.

I have to agree that talking on Skype or Yahoo is great though, a one to one with another girl can do wonders for you both and I do make a point of doing that. Besides, it's nice to have a 'proper' conversation instead of talking in single sentences don't you think, lol.

Nikki
  • October 1, 2007 12:01 PM BST
    I had a wonderful voice therapist four years ago. She made me read books loud, the therapy lasted 9 months for me and I paid only 7 euros per an hour.
    I noticed the difference from peoples reaction, both face to face and especially by phone. Suddenly everybody believed that I´m Laura.

Laura
    • 871 posts
    October 1, 2007 3:07 PM BST
    That is a good idea although I have found sometimes the quality of the recording is insufficient, maybe its my cheaap phone. Anyway, using all this new technology, does that mean I have to stop having a conversation with myself? Its become not so much of "practising my fem voice" but its more of "I actually enjoy the company!" lol

• 2017 posts
    October 1, 2007 9:27 PM BST
    That explains a few things........

Nikki
  • October 4, 2007 9:51 PM BST
    great idea nikki only problem with me would be seeing ones self in a mirror id spend too much time checking make up was ok lol andi