"Coming out" to Parents

• December 30, 2002 10:57 PM GMT
    Girleez.  I got caught, accidently.  ANd before you start i was not en femme so to speak.  My bro found some pink 3 1/2"
    heels under my bed.  He was with his friend as well :-[ :-/.
    I managed to blag that one thankfully about havin a girlfriend.  Later my mum asked me about this GF and i confessed, she talked about it the next day but that was it.  She hasnt really mentioned it since.  That was a couple of years ago, i'm 19 now.  It hasnt ever come up, altho i think she suspects i still wear girl clothes sometimes.  Worse is i think my younger bro knows. :-[ :-[

I kind of wish my mum was more involved, but i dont think she would ever be like that unless i was a transsexual.
    She asked me if i wanted to be a woman once but I said no.
    I have kind of fantisised about my mum helpin me.
    I think most parents will go into denial about it.

• 38 posts
    April 11, 2002 10:33 PM BST
    I know there is a coming out board for this thought of thing but I thought it would be good to have a special section for us young girls about  "Coming out" to parents and the best ways of doing it.  I wish I had some advice to offer but it is something I have yet to do (soon though I hope).  So girls have you "come out" and have some advice you wish to share?  Or are you lost and need some assistance for it?  Which ever way it is post it here!
    • 614 posts
    January 27, 2004 12:11 PM GMT
    i now how you all feel im 23 bin dressing for years , but yet to cum out to my father who i live with , i dont think hes going to react well , altough i think he has suspissions , any advice anyone
  • January 27, 2004 4:24 PM GMT
    I'm glad some people had an easy time coming out to thier parents. I know for a fact I can't tell mine. Cause I know they will flip out and kick me out of this house.
    • 614 posts
    February 5, 2004 5:50 PM GMT
    hi girls any advise for a 23yeard old cd tgirl who has got to get out closet , big step is going to be telling dad any ideas ot advise
    • 614 posts
    February 7, 2004 5:45 PM GMT
    well the ive done it dad now nos about me cross dressing etc , last tue i left some sheets of info about cross dressing and transgender out when i went to bed following day they had moved and he had read them , on the wed morning i wolk up and went to get dressed putting panties and tights on couldnt find my trousers , i went down stairs and walked past dad , he just looked and is yet to say anything ( so he nos but hasnt said anything yet ) WISH ME LUCK WHEN HE DOES
    • 614 posts
    February 24, 2004 10:17 AM GMT
    just to keep everyone upto date , dads not happy about me being a girl , hes said if i want full time girl im no son/daugther of his
    • 38 posts
    December 13, 2004 8:29 PM GMT
    Hmmm... Kind of depressing I just realised I made this post well over 2 years ago and I have yet to come out to my parents.
    • 141 posts
    February 6, 2005 10:22 PM GMT
    Hey Kellyjoe,

I hope I may offer a caring response even though I'm old, old, old. Even at 50, when came out to my mother and brothers and sisters there was uncertainty. For those without doubt of their identity and the courage to be that person, coming out may be an event. For those of us, hobbled by self-doubt, influenced by the desires of others and perhaps too scared or too caring to want to change the world as others have created it, coming out is a process.

Don't be afraid to continue to explore all aspects of yourself, Kellyjoe. Be what you wish to be, when you wish to be it. It seems that the world wants a zero-sum result, if you're boy you're not girl. Life isn't like that. We are, many of us, both.

It is just as right to explore being female as it is to re-explore being male. it's how you will find yourself.

I hope it helps a little.

Ann
    • 3 posts
    April 13, 2009 2:49 AM BST
    i've been giving it lots of thought, and am probably going to come out this summer after school gets out...so should be like 4-5 weeks from now. i hope my parents are ok with it. they had absolutely no problem with my younger sister being a lesbian, so i think they'll be fine. but it's gonna be really hard. I have come out to a few of my friends already, and my best friend will probably be there the day I come out to support and help me. I'm also really hoping my sister and her girlfriend (who is also a very good friend of mine) will help me after i do. My sister and I are both tall and skinny. I'm only two inches taller than her and only like 15lbs more than her, so she will, hopefully be a great help. i'll make sure to update here once it happens.

Peace-Love-Happiness
    • 83 posts
    May 8, 2009 6:40 PM BST
    Bianca, I wish you all the best in coming out. You're a year older than my son, who came out to me when he turned 18, when I came out to him. I still haven't told my mother and stepfather, as I don't think they'd take it well. My father never came out to me, but I discovered for myself right before he died, and we had a short talk about it.

I look forward to hearing your story soon!

Hugs,
    Ann
  • June 23, 2009 2:05 AM BST
    i came out a year ago,i used dress up alot when i was younger but stopped around 10ish then around 12-13ish i was very depressed and tried to kill myself at the age of 15 ..obviously i failed,but anyways i started again then around 17 and thought well its the way i am an ive embraced it and i live with my mom and her boyfriend ive told my mom,1 of the hardest things ive ever done in mylife ,but she doesnt want me to go puplic as of yet as she doesnt want her boyfriend to know and thinks itll be hard for me,but i think shes using it as an excuse.but anwyays ive got a whole press full of clothes ,boots etc now as my mom nkows and her boyfriend never enters my room,and they go out frequently so i get the house to myself,another harder thing ive found is going out in puplic i find myself paranoid people looking at me

also my mom and myself did some research into SRS and the way u have to go to phsy so we went to my general doctor to contavt 1and he was very deniel about the possibility and brainwashed my mom into believing its something wrong with me,so they forced me to take a blood test he said hed be back to us in a few weeks,its been a year now and havent been any call,so obviously nothing wrong with me.which gives me a great boost in confidence in who i am.

Debbie
  • March 9, 2003 7:16 AM GMT
    vee19uk
    I think my mom know's about me, I wish if she did then I could tell her. I have a lot of nice girl clothes and would love to wear them but I can't. E-mail if you like to talk about this more [email protected]
    Love
    Tara
    • 8 posts
    March 26, 2003 11:26 AM GMT
    Hiya im 18 and came out to my mum about ayear ago as i had to tell someone as it was killing me keeping it secret, she made me tell my dad and i was dreading the reaction but they have both been realy cool about it and even took me shopping to bluewater shopping center on my birthday for some new clothes,still not out to anyone else even though telling your parents is the hardest.So anyone considering comming out to there parents should do it(unless you have realy realy horrible parents) as at the end of the day most parents love there children regardless.
    • 19 posts
    November 24, 2011 11:46 AM GMT
    This is something I think about all the time, even if I think I'm pretty far from it. My current plan of action is to wait until I can get out on my own, then tell them. It's pretty discouraging because my mom tends to freak out at a guy showing the slightest bit of femininity. And both folks are pretty ingrained into hardcore christian, conservative views. Anyone else been in a similar place?
    • 2573 posts
    March 27, 2012 5:17 PM BST
    There is a higher element of risk to coming out before you are independent of your family. This is mitigated/increased by who they are as people. Judging someone's reaction to a movie like "Kinky Boots" can be very instructional in judging their mindset. Then there is always the "there's this person, X, at school who.........how should I treat them?" approach.
    • 2 posts
    April 1, 2014 10:34 AM BST

I came out to my mom and stepdad, around the same time(same month) I live with them. They both we're very accepting. If you having loving supporting parents you will be fine.(I got lucky on that one)

For those who arent as fortunate and have narrowminded parents/whatever you want call it... I wish the best luck and hope you figure it out. Keeping a secret like we do is not healthy.. it has messed up my thinking process completely.

I've been out since i was 24. I'm now 26... there was couple situations at first in my head i was like why did I come out? this is so embarrassing. But that was very rare. 99% of the time, I feel much happier then I ever did before I came out.

Hopefully this info can help someone that is unsure. I know its very hard... I only wish you luck in the endeavour.