So How Do You Shop?

• 1980 posts
    December 27, 2007 5:58 PM GMT
    Hi Girls-

Nikki's post decided me to open this topic about the differences in how women and men shop...for nearly everything, from clothes and accessories to groceries. Recently, and I can't remember where exactly, I saw a post or an article on the differences in shopping "styles" (for lack of a better word) between men and women. It may even have been here on TW, or it might have been another forum. No matter what, I don't like to plagiarize, so if anyone here posted the original thread, please speak up so we can acknowledge you or if someone else has seen it on another site, please let me know so we can give credit where credit is due.

Anyway, the gist of it is this. Men, traditionally, have been hunters and women have been gatherers. Both essential to the survival of a group and both respected, one would suppose, within a particular group. Of course we're talking here of olden days when people subsisted on what they could forage from the land around them. Before agriculture and commerce and so on. A way longtime ago, when Wendy was a girl.<g> (Hiya, Wendy!)

Because taking down an animal could draw scavengers and other predators much meaner or stronger than the hunters themselves (like at the day after Thanksgiving Day sales here in the US), men made hunting a foray or a raid. Get in, get out, get the job done and skedaddle before momma lion and the rest of the pride appear over the hill. This style of acquisition persists to this day.

When men go shopping, and this is certainly how I shopped when I was in male mode, they know exactly what prey object (shirt, pants, socks, whatever) they are after, they go in, move directly to where the prey object is located (first aisle to the right from the main door), target the prey (white athletic socks...so boring), bring down the prey (into the cart with it) and then they're gone. Off to the cashier and out the door. This is exactly how I used to shop. I knew which brand I liked and what size I wore. I always shopped the same store so I knew exactly where what I wanted was and I could be in and out in less than 20 minutes. This, for most men, is shopping.

Women, on the other hand, foraged for what they brought to the table. This involved less stealth, since say a blackberry bush, was not apt to take alarm, warn the rest of the bushes and the whole bunch scamper off. So time could be taken to find which bushes had the ripest, most flavorful berries, to sample and compare them and perhaps to discuss where there might be some wild apple trees nearby to go have a look at and when other fruits or grains might become ripe and plan another gathering party. In other words, it was a group activity involving both younger and older women and somewhat leisurely with plenty of time for talk and sharing the work and a sense of communal bonding. And women shop like this today. Two or perhaps three women will go out and make a day of it. Comparing items, trying them on, asking for comments, taking suggestions as to what might look better or what accessory might work well with a particular choice and so on. This is how I shop now, personally speaking. And it makes my wife happy. Used to be after about 30 minutes of watching her shuffling tops on a rack and holding them up for my inspection, I would start glancing, not surreptitiously at all, at my watch and tapping my foot.

Anyway, I didn't intend to go on and on...as I so often do. And of course this is not an anthropology paper. I'm sure it's riddled with conjecture, false assumptions, and inaccuracies. Oh well.

So please chime in, how do you shop and how has it changed for you since you started to get your girlside on?

Hugs...Joni Marie
    How Do You Shop?
    1: Like a guy. In and out as quickly as possible
    2: Like a gal. Take my time, compare and shop around.
  • December 27, 2007 7:47 PM GMT
    Hi Joni, Similar theme really, i always did the male shopping thing for many years not because it was what i wanted more for the fact that it was expected for me to do so and hate shopping even though i have always loved it, but now i am free to shop all i want and well i am making up for lost time hehe, i have been known to spend 3 hours in the same shop namely Miss Sixty in Manchester Uk, tis my favourite shop and i would live there if they would let me lol.

hugs
    Sammi x
    • 2017 posts
    December 27, 2007 8:32 PM GMT
    Well, Joni, you know from my post how I shop, I just love to make a day of it whenever possible since for me it is the overall experience and having fun with others rather than just picking up a new top or skirt.

Of course, then you have to get together to plan where and when, (usually as soon as possible), you are going to show off your new clothes!!

In drab, I was probably like many other girls here, I had a love/hate relationship with shopping since I would happily browse the stores with my partner/friend or whoever, but mostly that was because I was looking for something that I would have wanted for myself. Unfortunately those were the Dark Ages when I was locked firmly in the closet so it used to be so frustrating not to be able to buy anything.

It's soooo different now!!!!!

Nikki
    • 259 posts
    December 28, 2007 1:11 AM GMT
    OMG. It is true, I do shop like a guy. I have a list, know exactly what I am going to get--pretty much the same thing everytime. Actually, I avoid shopping at stores if I can help it. Online shopping appeals to me as I dont have to get dressed, drive to the store or wait in lines. If I had someone to shop for me that would be superb!!
  • December 28, 2007 1:23 AM GMT
    Joni

You are thinking of my blog post entitled Hunter or Gatherer? where I contrast male and female shopping styles.

As for me, I am a hunter when I go out as a male, and a gatherer when I go out as a male disguised as a female.
    • 1980 posts
    December 28, 2007 1:58 AM GMT
    Thank you, Cat, darling. Of course it was you, thank you for reminding me, I just couldn't remember. Did you get my email, girl? Happy New Year, hon, to you and yours. My best wishes always.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 734 posts
    December 28, 2007 11:39 PM GMT
    Hi All!

Mmmm, definately an all femme gatherer. I always have been but am probably worse now then ever. If I had more time I'd be in the shops even more given half a chance. For me, its not even about buying. Its about looking and finding out whats new, what works, whats fun, what I might like in the future but can't afford yet. Its about colours, style, shape. Its an artistic experience. I love it. And, yes, after a good while browsing I'll more then likely buy that first item I saw several hours before!

And its the same for food shopping. I love supermarkets, I love to browse and have a good look at everything. The only supermarket I don't like is Morrisons - and thats for the bizarre reason that I don't like the colour scheme!

Shopping online is ok at a real push for those things I can't find locally. But the tangible nature of 'real' shopping is what appeals.

Much love

Rae xx
  • January 14, 2008 8:23 PM GMT
    Personaly I like to shop around and find the best deal. I mostly shop online any more
    • 2017 posts
    January 14, 2008 9:39 PM GMT
    I'm meeting Dani and Carren in holland at the weekend and I'm sure we will be undertaking some very necessary retail therapy.

What can I say? I love shopping!

Nikki
    • 1980 posts
    January 16, 2008 2:00 AM GMT
    Hi Anne Selene-

I lived in Karlsruhe and Kaiserslautern when I was young. My Dad was in the military, I have many fond memories of Germany. Auf Wiedersehen. (Please pardon my spelling, I think I may have got it wrong.)

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2017 posts
    January 20, 2008 7:03 PM GMT
    When I shop for male clothes....................oh wait, I don't do that!!

Nikki
    • 315 posts
    January 22, 2008 11:50 AM GMT

Susan,
    Like you, I used to do all my shopping in drab, or else, sometimes, on-line, if I felt I hadn't the confidence to walk into a shop, in drab, and look at/buy my clothes in person.

About a year ago, Doreen (my best friend and S/O), got me by the hand, and took me into just about every Department Store in Dublin,and we "murdered the Credit Card" for the day!!
    After that, she said, I should have a lot more self-confidence, and shop "properly" ...... as Angela!

OK, so it took a little time, but when I did go shopping, on my own, as Angela, it was so muchmore fun than I could possibly have imagined!
    I felt I was able to "browse" the shops, rather than dash in/grab what I thought would be right/and leave! Or, get to the Cash-desk, and make some sort of small-talk excuse/explanation for buying female clothes as a man ............... present, but maybe won't be right colour/size etc, but she'll change it herself if I've got it wrong, etc. !
    I could never be sure, anyway, if the lame excuses were ever actually believed!

But, in the time since starting to shop as my real-self, I've now got to regard it as a perfectly normal part of me, but recently, it was really affirmed to me that shop-staff are usually "gender-blind"!

A couple of weeks ago, I was in our local M&S store, in drab, buting a present for a work colleague's birthday, when a particular cardigan caught my eye in the Ladies Department ............ (had to have a walk through there, at least!) . I waslooking at it, but with a question as to which size would be the perfect one, I was standing with one in each hand, trying to decide between the 2 sizes, when one of the staff girls came over and asked "is it for yourself?" without a second thought I said "Yes", to which she said, "Well, the only way to decide is to try them on".
    So, all my "niggling worries" about the attitudes of shop-staff were blown completely away!!

All I can say is ................. when you get the confidence to try it for the first time ...... go for it !!

You'll be amazed at how "liberating" an experience it can be!

Angela.
  • January 28, 2008 8:42 AM GMT
    I never had any problems with shopping. When I lived with my ex I would quite happily go into shops like Evans and buy for me. I never felt at all out of place. Mind you, both the wife and I were large sizes and so I could always make out I was buying for her.
    It's different now. Shopping is very routine. In our local shopping centre (Temple Cowley in Oxford) I'm known by most shop assistants.
    On Wednesdays and Fridays I spend 4 hours in a clothes shop while on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm in the same store for 6 hours. OK I do work in the shop which gives me a big advantage. I can hang potential purchases in the stockroom and look at them all morning before deciding if I really want them or not. Also a 10% staff discount helps. If I'm not sure if my potential purchases suit there are lots of girls on hand to ask as well.
    On the odd occasion I do some male clothes shopping but it's not for me it's for my darling fiance.

For those that feel guilty buying female clothes when in drab - don't. Lots of men buy for their partners/wives/etc. I've even had men asking about bra sizes. The only problem comes in trying items on. If you are in drab go to the gents fitting room. If you're en-femme make sure you are respectably dressed and then use the ladies fitting room. Don't forget you don't need to try items on in the shop. Try them on at home with the shoes you think you'll be wearing with the item, walk around the house to get used to it. If it doesn't fit or suit you can take it back for exchange or refund, just keep the labels on and keep the receipt.

Alina xx
  • March 17, 2008 9:57 PM GMT
    HI All,
    I love to go shopping as Michelle and found my approach is as a gatherer. Once I overcame my fears, it was a great experience, which I now do often. The store staff are very helpful and have actually made suggestions as to what other items might go with the dress, skirt or shoes I'm looking at. As for other customers, I occasionally get weird looks, but I've also had very good experiences as well. When I was looking for some new foundation garments, 2 women were picking out their items from the same rack and seemed to treat me as just another gal trying to improve her figure.

Finally, I had a gal at my local wig store want to go shopping with me, as she really liked the outfits I had on the last couple of times I was in her store. Now if only my finances allowed me to do more shopping therapy!!!!

Hugz from an emancipated shopper,

MichelleLynn

• March 17, 2008 9:58 PM GMT
    BTW Joni - I love your new picture!!!!!!!
    • 404 posts
    March 18, 2008 3:46 PM GMT
    Basically,it all depends on what mode/mood I'm in.OK,food and cat food is more 'hunter' style-there's a list,I know where everything is and,so long as I was working,time played a role as well.Even though I now have time on my hands,food shopping hasn't changed whether in drag or in drab.Shopping for clothes.......aaaahhh,that's another matter!Strangely,time is available,but even so,returning empty-handed is not unknown.The second-hand clothes shops here in town are great-I even buy my jeans (for my 'en drab' appearances) in them.(I have never found 'drab' jeans that fit me properly)

As an aside,it amuses me watching men being dragged round the womens clothing departments.There's the SO enthusiastically rummaging through the bras/slips/whatever ,whilst the man is busy trying to give the impression that he's not there,that it's all somehow a little embarrassing,and that he'd far rather be sprawled in front of the goggle-box with a six-pack watching the sport show.Oddly enough though,I've also noticed quite a few moslem men intently studying the womens underwear- I assume they then go home and tell their wives and daughters where the best bargains are before giving them their pocket money.

As Lynn,the only thing that irritates me a bit when shopping is when a group of GGs block the changing cubicles for hours.It's a sort of 'queen bee-worker bee' situation with the 'workers' bringing a continuous
    supply of clothes for the 'queens' to try on.....

Keep on shopping......

Lynn Harvey
  • June 24, 2008 11:33 PM BST
    I shop as quickly as I can, and get the best deals... it really helps that the Thrift stores are so cheap, so I bought 2 pairs of panties, a bra, and a blouse, all for under $7.00