Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Broken any Commandments lately?

Broken any Commandments lately?

Tags : None
  • Yesterday at work some right wing fundamentalist gave my one coworker a VERY small pamphlet about the Ten Commandments. It also contained sentiments very similar to the infamous Jonathan Edwards sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."

The thing is, we were reading about the Commandments and what it meant to break them. The three of us, thoroughly bored, went through the pamphlet and counted up how many Commandments we have broken throughout our lives.

I have broken 8 out of the 10. I won't say which ones, though.

Wow.

Mere

(NO, this is not an attempt to make fun of religion!)
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      January 26, 2008 11:01 PM GMT
  • First thing I had to do was look them up, so for anyone else in the same situation, here they are in a simplified form from a childrens website:-

1. You shall have no other gods before me.
    2. You shall not make for yourselves an idol.
    3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
    5. Honor your father and your mother.
    6. You shall not murder.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
    10. You shall not covet.

I've managed to break eight or nine, depending on the interpretation of one of them. Plus one in thought, if not in deed.

Oops...
    No, I'm not proud of my record. Not all my indiscretions were intentional, but it does show how easy it is to stray, even when you believe yourself to be an honest, upright, law-abiding citizen.
    I'm not a Christian either, but do belive in the principles they and other religions lay out as guidelines for living, most of which are incorporated in the ten commandments.
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      January 26, 2008 11:24 PM GMT
  • Sue, you couldn't be more correct; it is a matter of interpretation. For instance, this pamphlet says that #2 also involves us changing the image of what "God" is and means to suit their own preferences. As for committing adultery, premarital intercourse was listed, which makes no sense because if neither partners are married it is NOT adultery but fornication. Okay, still a sin, but, hey, so what?

The pamphlet says that the Bible considers hatred as a form of murder. Oh, dear.......

I just realized that, after reading how Sue listed the Commandments, my number is up to nine.

Unless, of course, you consider the fact that I have hated people in the past, then I have a perfect season.
      January 26, 2008 11:40 PM GMT
  • According to the Commandments as listed by Sue, I have broken only four which means I am either a good girl or very dull. However, if I go by the interpretation of some of the Commandments as noted by, Mere, then I am possibly beyond redemption. Confession tomorrow, then.
    Porscha
      January 26, 2008 11:55 PM GMT
  • I won't say which ones or how many I have broken, but there are some. I am a Christian who believes that the 10 Commandments set a good example we should strive to live our lives by. God knows we sin, Jesus died for our sins. People have flaws, I have flaws. I believe everyone should strive to be the best person they can and when they make mistakes hopefully they will learn from them.
      January 26, 2008 11:58 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    I've broken 7 & will continue to do so. I don't see how we can change the image of god since any image is only what we want her to look like. I think the first image is a burning bush. Should we worship fire.
    I've been on my knees in front of a bush a few times & I worshiped every minute of it.

That was bad.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 27, 2008 12:21 AM GMT
  • Isnt there one about fornication? lol--my favorite one to break--Lord forgive
      January 27, 2008 1:17 AM GMT
  • Josie, while some do consider fornication to fall under the "adultery" category, if we accept the formal definition as adultery as sexual contact between a married person and another other than one's spouse, then fornication does not follow suit. HOWEVER, you are right - many do consider any sexual contact between ANY unmarried persons as adultery.

Being a Buddhist/Hindu/Catholic, I guess I'm screwed one way or another according to the definitions some set when it comes to what "God" is, and means. I always thought the Higher Spirit to be a kind and loving spirit, not mean and vindictive.

Mere

January 27, 2008 3:28 AM GMT
  • Does intent count?

What if you are not Christian?

Well, "He" probably scores 9.5 and Wendy 0.5.......no they don't make 10 together....Wendy hasn't had the opportunity to get into much trouble......yet.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      January 27, 2008 4:46 AM GMT
  • Since I'm not religious in any way at all some of these commandments are simply irrelevant to me. The first four on Sue's list for instance.

I do, however, consider myself to have very high moral standards though and I would like to think I am a pretty nice person.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 27, 2008 8:49 AM GMT
    Golly gee, but I was going to add that the "10 Commandments" weren't originated by the "christians" but someone beat me to it.
    I, normally, avoid commenting on religions but (did you know that 'but' usually negates what's said before it?).....anyway I was raised in a religious household and did continue that practice until I had a rude awakening. Ever since then, I do believe in a Diety and not religions.....I'm sidetracking this thread....sorry.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      January 27, 2008 3:36 PM GMT
  • "Sorry off the thread but it was about lies and doing good for others, was it? "

No Anne, it was not. You have once again completely misconstrued the point and intention of the thread, and twisted it to once more insult and threaten others and to boast about your own acheivments.
    You said in a previous post, and I'm not going to try and find it now, because you always us ten words where one will do, that such things are unladylike.

Maybe you should turn your great intellect towards concentrating on one international language instead of many, then you would perhaps better understand what is being written, and how to reply.

It was suggested that you took time out to review your past comments, and try and see why and how you managed to upset so many people in such a short time. Depsite that, you have immediately returned and taken up where you left off. Think about it.

My sincere apologies to the initiator of the thread and those who added only relevant comments for following a bad example with another, two wrongs never making a right.
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      January 27, 2008 5:21 PM GMT
  • Anne.

As I said, you have misinterpreted this thread. It is about commandments you yourself have broken, and is intended to be light-hearted and humourous.
    (Though I am sure that what you said almost certainly broke some anyway).

I am sure you have heard about there being a time and place for everything. You may have got the time, but this was not the place, as evidenced by the immediate hiding of your vitriolic writing by someone other than myself, and not at my instigation.

I will not continue this here. If you have a problem with that, I am more than willing to continue this discussion away from the public eye, as has been requested on previous occasions when there is a difference of opinion.
      January 27, 2008 6:18 PM GMT
  • I haven't seen the post that was removed so I can't comment on it. But I think it is a shame that another thread has gone personal. Sue is right to suggest taking the argument offline.

On the subject of the thread: I am an atheist and I draw my morality from a range of sources which, as it happens, don't include the Ten Commandments. But speaking hypothetically, I must have broken some of them in practice and more of them in my thoughts.

Some have claimed a Perfect Ten. Unless I've misread the thread, no-one has yet claimed a Perfect Zero. Come on you saints! Don't be shy!
      January 27, 2008 9:42 PM GMT
  • I'm an angel by nature but I can think of a few people who would burn me now if they had the chance.
    Porscha
      January 27, 2008 9:57 PM GMT