When HRT Go Bad

Tags : None
  • 2 2627
    We all have been told many many times not to take hormones with out a doctor & test.
    But what if you allready started witl mail order meds. What can happen?
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 30, 2008 1:41 AM GMT
  • Hmm, I could almost live with that considering everything else those breast are attached to. Simple medical procedure would solve that, lol.
      January 30, 2008 1:44 AM GMT
  • Karen, thanks for the chuckle! I'm certain the person in the photo could parlay that condition into a permanent spot on Jerry Springer! She has a definitively odd look about her! On a more serious note, however, my father died when I was 25. He was an M.D. (Actually he was an internationally respected psychoanalyst - but that's another story.) After his funeral I 'liberated' a couple of prescription pads from his office. Rather than bust scrips for "feel-good" drugs, i.e. valium, barbs, and opiates, I wrote myself prescriptions for Premarin (natural estrogen) and Estynil (an early synthetic). Without any clue as to what would be appropriate dosages for safe feminization, I'm sure I was taking several times the amount that an endocrinologist would have prescribed - leading to the rapid development of knots of glandular tissue beneath my nipples with no concurrent fat accumulation. It was exTREMEly uncomfortable - to the point that I thought I'd given myself breast cancer. I went to the doctor who told me that it was gynecomastia and asked if I'd been smoking a lot of marijuana. I told him that I had been and I would stop, and he assured me the lumps would go away when I had. The point I am trying to make is that it is foolish to take hormones without being under the care of a qualified physician. If you are able to access hormones from a source other than a qualified physician, do yourself (and everybody else) a favor and call an endocrinologist's office to find out what dosage to take. Hormones can be dangerous and even lethal if you don't know what you're doing!
    better late than never female.
      February 3, 2008 7:02 AM GMT
  • You confirmed what we have been saying Anne, when you say

"But I must say that most people that are self medicating are not stupid at all as they do tell their doctor that they do so and they also do all necesarely blood tests and do adjust the amount they take if needed, "

It is those who buy and take drugs with no form of understanding or supervision that are generally regarded as "stupid". They are in the minority, and it is they who perhaps need the guidance and warnings we are promulgating.

Anyone taking medications with the co-operation of their doctor, and watching their bloods are not in question.

The systems and rules vary from country to country, and I see nothing wrong with purchasing hormones or other medications on the open market, only that it should be done under the guidance of a knowledgeable professional, purely to safegaurd their health.

You are right on both counts. Here in the UK we are renowned for our 'Red Tape', and I for one have been at odds with the ubiquitous 'they' for many years, and not just with regard to transgender issues! Somewhere there must be a compromise between ideals, but I don't think I'll be around to see it.
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      February 3, 2008 3:22 PM GMT
    Hey Karen!

I want a word with you, girl!

Where did you get my photo from?????

Shucks, well I was born just a double-headed chickens throw from a leaky atomic energy installation....

Much love

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      February 4, 2008 11:57 PM GMT
  • I know plenty of gals on both sides of the self med aisle. Yes, I self-medicated between doctors for a period of time, but I started with a doc and currently have a doc. I would say the majority of self-med gals know far more about HRT meds then most doctors. I know a couple gals with the same particular doc that amazingly take exactly the same medication as if their bodies were identical. That same doctor also cites on his webpage that body hair should start diminishing after a couple years, which is pretty accurate, but he has told these people they should already being seeing signs of diminished body hair in the first year. Hmm, which is it? He also has them ordering online from outside the country which is technically illegal and they risk confiscation, supposedly there is a Medical Doctor, why can't he write scripts so they can go to the local pharmacy and get their meds? Oh and when this doc was asked about getting scripts he told one of the gals that there was no need to do that. Huh? Labtests, yeah they did the online labtests that get sent off, told that things looked fine. Hmm, what does that mean? I have insurance that pays for most of my prescriptions, but even if I didn't the cost is the same or less at U.S. pharmacies compared to what these gals pay online. So again I ask, why no scripts? The only reason I make a point of this is because one of these gals thought it was fine to rag on me for not having a doc at one point. Personally I think her doc is a scam.

I think everyone on HRT with or without a Doctor should research what the heck they are putting into their body and all the how and why's about it. So many things can effect how much medication someone should be on. When used properly most of the meds are safe. Drug manufactures don't tend to put the recommmended dosage for trannys' on the labels, so do you know what a safe dose is?

I think we are taken advantage of by the medical community. It is important to be able to trust your doc, and one way to be able to trust him is to know he/she knows what they are talking about. How do you know if they are? You need to know this stuff also.

Marsha
      February 5, 2008 1:38 AM GMT
  • Very true Marsha, I had to 'assist' my GP on hormone information. He was totally ignorant of what and how much. We started on a standard dose, then gradually changed the amounts until I felt 'comfortable' with the effects they were having and the tests came out about right. Not a good reflection on the system that is supposed to be so good. (Not my personal opinion!)
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      February 5, 2008 1:49 AM GMT
  • Well I think most of the people who self medicate, do so because they simply lack the access to the proper medical professionals... nor can they afford the visits. (my doctors office is $110 just to say hello) And also... I have no car and I live with my parents who would absolutely not condone me taking hormones... so I am forced to seriously consider self medicating.

I have no other alternative really. I can't afford repeated taxi rides.. nor will my work schedual allow me to be dependable to make any appointments... and I also can't afford repeated uninsured doctors office visits that I'm sure are nessesary. And forget therapy. I just don't have the money. The meds I can afford.. but not all the stuff I have to do just to get a perscription. I simply dont have the means or resources to do it.
      March 13, 2008 4:14 AM GMT
  • I agree with you there i am an over the road truck driver and stopping to go to a thepist then the cost involved in that alone i don't have time to go to a therpist plus to an endocronoligist and buy medication too there is just no time in what i do to afford such a important step i know but what else can i do but self medicate. and forget about asking a doctor for the right dosege unless your a patiant he/she won't talk to you.
    let life come its going to rather you like it or not
      April 6, 2008 10:34 PM BST
  • Adriana,
    One of the results of self medding and perhaps getting too high a dose is that you might 'overdo' things but perhaps not in a life threatening way - (but is a non-stop truckers lifestyle healthy? Do you eat fast and junk or light and healthy?) - but your self med dose might be too high for your body to work with in the natural time frame that GGs body changes happen and you might very quickly see breast growth that soon stops leaving little cones that will eventually have to be replaced with implants to get a 'proper' bust.

If you are going to self med start on a very low dose take at least a couple of months to work up to whatever you have learned is a 'typical' dose and don't look for a 'bust-in-a month.'

Sounds a long slow process but it will be worth it in the end.
      April 7, 2008 9:14 AM BST
  • I just placed my order i have a friend and she helped a little i am going to start at 4mg of estrofem and 50 mg of spiro
    let life come its going to rather you like it or not
      April 7, 2008 5:29 PM BST
  • .....translating from german.............

All good things come in threes...............

cheers,

Lynn H.
    "It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      April 7, 2008 7:27 PM BST