Need help With My Nails

• 2627 posts
    February 10, 2008 1:21 PM GMT
    I have been trying to take better care of my nails. I've stopped the biting & I keep a clear coat on them allways. I'm not trying to let them grow but I would like them to look neat. The trouble is they keep chipping so that I have ruff edges. This means I have to spend a lot of time with a file to keep them smooth. Is there something I can use to help with this?
    • 871 posts
    February 10, 2008 5:07 PM GMT
    karen, i chip my nails more often than i would like. i use a metal nail file to file out the spurs and to give them some shape, and like you, i use clear nail hardener to make them a bit tougher. ani xx ps also i under stand a sensible quantity of protien in ones diet is good for nail growth and strengh but is only hear say if ya know what i mean. other than that i dont think there are any practical options other than trying to be a bit more careful.
    • 1912 posts
    February 10, 2008 10:04 PM GMT
    I can go for weeks, maybe months with my nails growing out nicely. Then boom, one after another starts snagging. I have never been able to correlate the when and why this happens. I guess the only answer is keep a file and clippers handy at all times. And if you have kids like me, have atleast two spares hidden away where you will be able to find them.
    Love,
    Marsha
    • 734 posts
    February 23, 2008 12:40 AM GMT
    Hi all!

What really transformed my nails was the use of nail oil. And not the expensive types, just the cheap stuff from my local chemist. It strengthened them, reduced splits and chips by a good 90% plus and I recommend anyone to use it.

Just brush it on like anything else, including under the nails edge, then rub it in especially at the sides and cuticles. It was recommended that you use it every day and after every time you immerse your hands in water. I just use it daily and the effects were very quickly apparent!

I never use a metal file, I find the crystal glass ones much kinder and more efficient - well worth the extra expense.

At the very least I always use a couple of coats of clear varnish as it makes the nails look so much better and 'healthy'.

Whilst I won't say my nails are magnificent, I do get compliments from women about them, which is nice.

Much love

Rae xx
    • 2627 posts
    February 23, 2008 4:40 AM GMT
    Thanks Rae, that I will be sure to try.